Solved

PC Boot Issue.

Model
ASUS P8H77-M LE
BIOS VEr: 0903
CPU: Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-3370K CPU @ 3.5GHz

Hi, I have got a big problem. Every time I boot up, it goes to a screen with:
"The current BIOS setting do not fully support the boot device. Click OK to enter the BIOS setup"

Can anyone please help.
Reply to teresa95
19 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about boot issue
  1. Since it's about boot devices: what drives you have, how connected, which drive has OS installed and what OS, and finally was it working before (and what did you changed in hardware/software before is stopped)?
    Reply to DRagor
  2. DRagor said:
    Since it's about boot devices: what drives you have, how connected, which drive has OS installed and what OS, and finally was it working before (and what did you changed in hardware/software before is stopped)?

Two drive is attached.

1. Western Digital 1TB. Connected via a SATA cable I suppose (has SATA 3GB/s inscribed) and connected to the SATA_3 port (3GB/s inscribed). Windows 8.1 installed.

2. Drive for CD-input. Optical drive (is that what it's called?)
    Reply to teresa95
  3. I don't see anything at bIOS side that could make that happen. Must be something you did in Windows. The question is, what you did?
    Reply to DRagor
  4. DRagor said:
    I don't see anything at bIOS side that could make that happen. Must be something you did in Windows. The question is, what you did?

Right. So what I did was: I got a sudden interest in PC stuff and started to 'act smart' by opening the CPU case. First unplugging the chassis fan adapter from the motherboard. Then unplugging the CD-drive (SATA cable and another 'I-assume-is' power cable) and HDD drive. Then I unplug the graphic card (NVIDIA 660) from the motherboard and finally, unplugged the power supply from the motherboard.
    NB. Did not touch the CPU and its fan.

Then, I feel like a smart-ass with all these components I am able to unplug. Then I put it all back again to its initial location. And I boot up, BIOS problem.

Now I am left with huge problem because it belongs to my brother.
    Reply to teresa95
  5. If you plugged back the drives to the same ports on motherboard as before (and the power was off all the time during your operation), BIOS should not even notice. And yet it sounds like for some reason it did notice, and changed boot order. So, when the message appears, can you enter BIOS setup? Then press F8, and Boot menu should appear. What's listed under "Boot option priorities'?
    Reply to DRagor
  6. DRagor said:
    If you plugged back the drives to the same ports on motherboard as before (and the power was off all the time during your operation), BIOS should not even notice. And yet it sounds like for some reason it did notice, and changed boot order. So, when the message appears, can you enter BIOS setup? Then press F8, and Boot menu should appear. What's listed under "Boot option priorities'?

It's Press DEL for BIOS setup. Very weirdly, there's nothing listed under the Boot priorities, empty.
    Reply to teresa95
  7. And Boot Override? There should be your WD drive listed.
    Reply to DRagor
  8. DRagor said:
    And Boot Override? There should be your WD drive listed.

Where do I find Boot Override?

EDIT: Picture uploaded
    Reply to teresa95
  9. It seems like BIOS don't see and drives at all. Are you sure you connected them back correct? SATA cable from motherboard port to drive port and power cable from PSU to drive (for both HDD and CD)
    Reply to DRagor
  10. DRagor said:
    It seems like BIOS don't see and drives at all. Are you sure you connected them back correct? SATA cable from motherboard port to drive port and power cable from PSU to drive (for both HDD and CD)

Hi DRagor, Good news. I re-tightened everything from power supply to HDD to CD, took out the GPU and re-assemble it in again. This time. It shows the 2 boot drive (HDD & CD-drive) in the boot priorities. I have put the HDD at #1 and CD-drive at #2.
    But..
    It Boot. Pass the ASUS [Press DEL for BIOS] screen, into the Windows screen [where the Windows logo is coming together] - Not even halfway, it stuck --> goes to a screen saying, "Windows failed to start up...." and asked 4 options: Safe Boot, Safe Boot..., Safe Boot..., Start Normally. I tried Safe Boot / Start Normally but it just end up back to this screen again. Seems like a reboot loop.

Photo below, if useful

Reply to teresa95
  11. Do you have Windows installation disk?
    And can you write down what's on that blue screen, can't decipher, too low quality.
    Reply to DRagor
  12. DRagor said:
    Do you have Windows installation disk?
    And can you write down what's on that blue screen, can't decipher, too low quality.

I will try to find the installation disc or potentially a USB to make one. The Blue Screen just showed up for 0.5 seconds and I can't have time to read it. Will report back soon.
    Reply to teresa95
  13. DRagor said:
    Do you have Windows installation disk?

Hi DRagor, sorry for the late reply. So, I inserted an installation USB > Repair this computer > It does found a problem to repair > Repair detail:

"The following startup option will be repaired:
    Name: {bootmgr}
    Identifier: {9DEA862C-5CDD-4E70-ACC1-F32B344D4795}

The following startup option will be added:
    Name: Windows 7 Ultimate (recovered)
    Path: Windows
    Windows Device: Partition=D

Name: Windows Recovery Environment (recovered)
    Path: Recovery\1f2f7127-24b6-11e4-a04b-9addfb5e1a3a\Winre.wim
    Windows Device: Partition=D"

I clicked Repair & Restart > Error: Failed to save startup option.

That's the result. What should I do next.
    Reply to teresa95
  14. Ok, this is going to be harder. There's a complete solution of this problem here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/bootmgr-error-cant-load-windows-automatic-repair/e2f50f68-a49a-4936-8ca6-8d920557262a

But, it is quite complicated thing. Once you successfully get through it, you surely will know enough to call yourself IT pro.
    Reply to DRagor
  15. DRagor said:
    Ok, this is going to be harder. There's a complete solution of this problem here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/bootmgr-error-cant-load-windows-automatic-repair/e2f50f68-a49a-4936-8ca6-8d920557262a

But, it is quite complicated thing. Once you successfully get through it, you surely will know enough to call yourself IT pro.

Hi DRagor, So, I finally ended up re-formatting the whole disk drive (:C) because I got so sick of this stuff. I reinstalled the Windows 7 Home Basic Edition into the drive. And got all the drivers (GPU - NVIDIA GTX660) from its official website. Everything is damn good in its normal condition now, except that every file is gone because I re-formatted it. But other than that, it's good.

However, there is just this one particular problem: Ethernet Controller. I can't connect to the Ethernet internet. I believe the driver is gone. So I searched up P8H77-M LE model motherboard on Asus support website and downloaded it. Installed it, but this problem keeps coming up:
    "The Realtek Network Controller was not found. If Deep Sleep Mode is enabled Please Plug the Cable".
    Any tips on this particular issue?

Thanks.
    Reply to teresa95
  16. Best answer
    Did you installed chipset drivers first? From motherboard page:
    Intel Chipset Driver V9.3.0.1019 for Windows Win7 64bit---(WHQL). <this first
    Management Engine Interface V8.1.0.1263 for Windows XP 64bit & Win7 64bit & Win8 64bit---(WHQL). <then this
    Realtek LAN Driver V7.65.1025.2012 for Windows Win7 32bit & Win7 64bit---(WHQL).<and then LAN
    Reply to DRagor
  17. DRagor said:
    Management Engine Interface V8.1.0.1263 for Windows XP 64bit & Win7 64bit & Win8 64bit---(WHQL). <then this
    Realtek LAN Driver V7.65.1025.2012 for Windows Win7 32bit & Win7 64bit---(WHQL).<and then LAN

OKay, I will try this order of installation again. I didn't follow the following sequence. Reporting back soon!
    Reply to teresa95
  18. DRagor said:

Hi DRagor, I have tried the following order: Chipset > Management Engine Interface > Realtek LAN. Still upon installing the Realtek LAN driver, the If Deep Sleep Mode is enabled, Please Plug the Cable issue still exist. Any pointers?

Update: Hi DRagor, I reformatted the drive and re-installed Windows 7 but there's this problem where it shows Setup.exe - Bad Image (C:\Users\Home\Desktop\Intel_Chipset_V9301019_XPWin7\Driver\Chipset\Lang\CHIP\CHT\._ChipsetCHT.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system admin or the software vendor for support

Update: DRagor, Good news! You know I've been struggling with the Ethernet Deep Sleep thing? Today, it's fixed!! My Goodness, you won't believe how much I've learnt from all these trial and error. The Network Adapter: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller is finally functioning.
    So it went like this: I re-formatted the HDD again. Installed a genuine copy of my Windows 7. Started with INTEL Chipset which give me a problem e.g. Bad Setup.exe thing which I keep on clicking 'Next' or 'Close' I forgot but after clicking away like almost 10 tab of such, it finally installed itself! Wow. Intel Chipset first, then Management Interface (MEI) thing > then LAN. Initially it got the Deep Sleep problem again so I decided to go to Device Manager to click 'Update Driver' on Ethernet Controller. Browse and it automatically located something in my C/ Drive and I click 'NEXT' and I can't believe what happened next. It bloody installed. Now my ethernet is connected! and it's freaking functioning! Thanks for being here with me throughout my roller coaster journey. Once again, thank you!
    Reply to teresa95
  19. Trial and error being best method of learning - failures teach us more then success. Glad to hear you got your brother's machine running again.
    Reply to DRagor
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Asus BIOS Boot CPUs Tom's Guide