Solved

Stuttering in games since Windows 10 Reinstall

Hi all,

Hoping you can help me here.

I've been having stuttering issues when gaming since I've reinstalled WIndows 10 on my SSD.
I've reinstalled my all my drivers and pushed any pending Windows updates.

I get good FPS in every game, that hasn't changed at all, but I seem to be getting constant stuttering, especially when moving the camera.

It's not just games too, my PC in general has seemed a bit unresponsive since the reinstall. It was fine before I reinstalled WIndows.

I have one suspicion, I left my HDD (which I use for my photos and games I don't play as often) connected when I reinstalled my OS. Windows is not installed on it so I don't really see why it would cause problems. It didn't ask me where to install it (I assume it's because it just reinstalled it where Windows was already installed).

What do you guys think?

(PC SPECS):

Asus Strix GTX 1080
i5 7600K @ 3.8GHz
z270 MSI SLI PLUS
16GB RAM
525GB M.2 SSD
1TB HDD
1200W PSU
Reply to DeanLeitch
29 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about stuttering games windows reinstall
  1. Bump? Anyone?
    Reply to DeanLeitch
  2. Close (disable) Xbox Game DVR setting.
    XBOX--> settings --> game dvr --> close.
    Reply to TechnoStyle
  3. TechnoStyle said:
    Close (disable) Xbox Game DVR setting.

Hi TechnoStyle,

Will try this when I get home from work, I've heard a few negative things about the latest Windows 10 Creators Update or whatever they call it, especially with its effect on gaming.

I'll update you with what I find.

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your own to respond to me, it is very much appreciated, cheers.
    Reply to DeanLeitch
  4. TechnoStyle said:

Anything else you think I should disable btw?
    Reply to DeanLeitch
  5. reinstall windows without the hdd
    Reply to helpstar
  6. helpstar said:
    reinstall windows without the hdd

You think that might help?

Windows recognised there were 2 drives, and wiped them both when I reset my OS.

I'm completely open to resetting again without HDD and formatting it afterwards if that helps :)
    Reply to DeanLeitch
  7. TechnoStyle said:

Thanks for the tip, sadly my issues still remain.
    I really don't know what to do..
    Reply to DeanLeitch
  8. Run command prompt as an admin
    copy-paste the code and press enter.

bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes
    bcdedit /set useplatformclock true
    Reply to TechnoStyle
  9. Also if you are playing older games with newer hardware, you can absolutely have optimization problem.
    For example, Crysis1 doesn't work with high performance with newet VGA cards...
    Another example, if you want to play NFS: Hot Pursuit 2010 smoothly, just set your CPU from task manager. Select CPU0,CPU1 and CPU2 every time you play.
    (Right click --> details --> exe file of the game --> right click -->set affinity)

etc. etc. :)
    Reply to TechnoStyle
  10. TechnoStyle said:
    Also if you are playing older games with newer hardware, you can absolutely have optimization problem.
    Another example, if you want to play NFS: Hot Pursuit 2010 smoothly, just set your CPU from task manager. Select CPU0,CPU1 and CPU2 every time you play.
    (Right click --> details --> exe file of the game --> right click -->set affinity)

Very true.

The main game I'm having issues with is Skyrim. It doesn't constantly lag, it's just when I enter a new area (basically cities) my FPS will drop severely for a couple of seconds. But this never used to happen before the restart.

Also games like Witcher 3 and GTA V also get minor stuttering when they didn't before.

I've run those two commands, what do they do out of interest? I'll tell you the result. I've also reinstalled my NVIDIA drivers.

I would like to just completely reinstall my OS but I don't think it will help since that caused the issues in the first place.

Thanks again, Techno, seriously. Much appreciated bro.
    Reply to DeanLeitch
  11. DeanLeitch said:
    TechnoStyle said:
    Also if you are playing older games with newer hardware, you can absolutely have optimization problem.

Very true.

The main game I'm having issues with is Skyrim. It doesn't constantly lag, it's just when I enter a new area (basically cities) my FPS will drop severely for a couple of seconds. But this never used to happen before the restart.

Also games like Witcher 3 and GTA V also get minor stuttering when they didn't before.

I've run those two commands, what do they do out of interest? I'll tell you the result. I've also reinstalled my NVIDIA drivers.

I would like to just completely reinstall my OS but I don't think it will help since that caused the issues in the first place.

Thanks again, Techno, seriously. Much appreciated bro.

When did you install Windows? If your installation doesn't so old, you shouldn't need reinstall it i think.
    Reply to TechnoStyle

12. When did you install Windows? If your installation doesn't so old, you shouldn't need reinstall it i think.

This is a new PC, you see, so the Windows OS isn't that old.
    It was fine when I first set it up, it's since I reinstalled Windows again (Really a bad idea, shouldn't have done it), that I've started having these issues.
    Reply to DeanLeitch

13. When did you install Windows? If your installation doesn't so old, you shouldn't need reinstall it i think.

This is a new PC, you see, so the Windows OS isn't that old.
    It was fine when I first set it up, it's since I reinstalled Windows again (Really a bad idea, shouldn't have done it), that I've started having these issues.

It was fine and reinstalling started issues.
    I think you forgot something to setup. Otherwise don't know. :)
    Reply to TechnoStyle
  14. how did you reinstall windows? DVD or else?

are all drivers installed? have a look into the device manager of windows, any question marks or exclamation marks?

try the intel update utility
    drivers download from intel:
    intel management engine installed (imei)?
    intel inf driver? (chipset)
    intel rapid storage (irst)

check ssd performance with "AS SSD"

update biod in bios itself, using an usb flash drive with the extracted BIOS from MSI on it and running M-flash inside BIOS
    Reply to helpstar
  15. helpstar said:
    how did you reinstall windows? DVD or else?

are all drivers installed? have a look into the device manager of windows, any question marks or exclamation marks?

try the intel update utility
    drivers download from intel:
    intel management engine installed (imei)?
    intel inf driver? (chipset)
    intel rapid storage (irst)

check ssd performance with "AS SSD"

update biod in bios itself, using an usb flash drive with the extracted BIOS from MSI on it and running M-flash inside BIOS

Hi!

I reinstalled Windows using the "Reset this PC" wizard. I didn't use media software on a USB stick or DVD.

There was a question mark, or exclamation mark I can't quite recall, next to the SATA controller drivers, and I had to update it manually as Windows couldn't do it when I tried through device manager. I've installed my NVIDIA drivers and intel management engine but not the other two (intel inf driver and intel rapid storage).

I've already checked my SSD with AS SSD yesterday, it was in the correct mode, ACHI, and I got a score over a thousand (it was 1132, something like that) so I think my SSD is fine, not tested my HDD yet.

I updated my BIOS already when I first built the PC, would reinstalling Windows reset that?

And finally, do you think properly doing a clean reinstall (with a USB drive and formatting my hard drive/ssd) would fix the issue?

Thanks mate, much appreciated.
    Reply to DeanLeitch
  16. Best answer
    Did you restart windows yet? Not just shutting down and booting again.

BIOS updates are independent from windows and wouldn´t flash back to an older version while resetting windows.

Clean install via Microsoft media creation tool might help.

Really looks like a driver problem for now.
    Reply to helpstar
  17. helpstar said:
    Did you restart windows yet? Not just shutting down and booting again.

BIOS updates are independent from windows and wouldn´t flash back to an older version while resetting windows.

Clean install via Microsoft media creation tool might help.

Really looks like a driver problem for now.

I've not reset it again, but I plan to now.

I agree, it does look like a driver problem. I didn't uninstall my drivers before installing Windows.

If I format my drives before I install Windows again via media creation tool, will that remove all my current drivers? (so I cleanly install them again?)
    Reply to DeanLeitch
  18. yes and all personal data as well, so be sure you have a backup on a different drive, before installing windows and deleting all data on the install drive
    Reply to helpstar
  19. helpstar said:
    yes and all personal data as well, so be sure you have a backup on a different drive, before installing windows and deleting all data on the install drive

Sure, will do that tonight, and I'll update you on my findings.
    Reply to DeanLeitch
  20. helpstar said:
    yes and all personal data as well, so be sure you have a backup on a different drive, before installing windows and deleting all data on the install drive

Hi!

I think that fixed it, so thanks!

One thing though - I ran perfmon /report to check, and it said every aspect of my PC was poor, even the graphical side. Despite having a GTX 1080, it recommends lowering the resolution.. lol? (I play on 1080p) And apparantly 16GB of RAM isn't enough either. Is it broken?
    Reply to DeanLeitch
  21. what do you mean by "poor". Anything failed or do you mean the value of the index?

if all is working fine, ignore the report.
    Reply to helpstar
  22. helpstar said:
    what do you mean by "poor". Anything failed or do you mean the value of the index?

I don't think anything failed, I'll double check when I get home today.
    Reply to DeanLeitch
  23. DeanLeitch said:
    helpstar said:

Hi!

One thing though - I ran perfmon /report to check, and it said every aspect of my PC was poor, even the graphical side. Despite having a GTX 1080, it recommends lowering the resolution.. lol? (I play on 1080p) And apparantly 16GB of RAM isn't enough either. Is it broken?

If you play a game which doesn't have optimization for newer GPUs then you'll see these messages.
    I ran COD:WAW with RX480. It opened with 800x600 resolution. :) I set all settings to max manually of course. :)
    Reply to TechnoStyle
  24. TechnoStyle said:
    DeanLeitch said:
    helpstar said:

Hi!

If you play a game which doesn't have optimization for newer GPUs then you'll see these messages.
    I ran COD:WAW with RX480. It opened with 800x600 resolution. :) I set all settings to max manually of course. :)

Yeah I know lol, weird isn't it?
    Reply to DeanLeitch
  25. helpstar said:
    what do you mean by "poor". Anything failed or do you mean the value of the index?

Yep, everything works fine, I'll ignore it.
    Reply to DeanLeitch
  26. Well, this is resolved now. Techo and Helpstar, thank you so much, I wasn't sure about using this forum but you've both solved my issues. Cheers guys, have a good one! :)
    Reply to DeanLeitch
  27. you are very welcome and thanks for the feedback.
    Have a good one too :)
    Reply to helpstar
  28. helpstar said:
    you are very welcome and thanks for the feedback.
    Have a good one too :)

Sorry to bother but I was looking for something about my issue and I did find this thread.
    I am having stutter problems after the last Windows 10 Update.
    Looks like I am not the only one: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/6h17o7/june_windows_10_cumulative_updates_are_out/?sort=new

Do you guys have any suggestion? Thank you very much!
    Reply to BudMaister
  29. please start a new thread with your problem. You can PM me with the link then
    Reply to helpstar
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

windows 10 Gaming Lag Games New Build