Solved

Trying to Re-Activate Windows 10 after motherboard & CPU upgrade, and Failing Epically

I upgraded from an A8-7650k CPU, and a FM2+ Mobo to a B250 Mobo and a Pentium G4560. I bought a product key from Kinguin when i had the original spec-ed computer built a few months ago, and it worked wonderfully. Now that i upgraded, with the same drives as the old AMD specs I had, it says its unactivated, but is still using the product key I bought, but says its being used on another computer. Now, I did use the troubleshooting option, and it failed, but gave me an option to link to another computer (My old AMD one with the a gigabyte mobo appeared so i was relieved until it failed) and use the activation key from that, but it didn't work either. I then bought ANOTHER key from Kinguin, used that, and it also didn't work. I've tried multiple times with both keys and connecting to my old computer's activation, and am not sure what to do next.
Reply to FelxProxy
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about activate windows motherboard cpu upgrade failing epically
  1. Buy a legitimate ($100) windows key and you will be fine. You keep buying keys from a questionable source.
    Reply to kanewolf
  2. kanewolf said:
    Buy a legitimate ($100) windows key and you will be fine. You keep buying keys from a questionable source.

I know I probably should, but considering I'm having a hard time affording the parts i have now which are already dirt cheap, It's hard to buy a $100 windows key, when I know I can get a key for under a third the price. But, I'm not here to explain myself, if I get a Windows 10 license, officially, can I uninstall the key and use it on another computer as many times as I want as long as its not activated on multiple PCs at once? I'm still up for an explanation on my current situation, however, if I can still solve this problem.
    Reply to FelxProxy
  3. FelxProxy said:
    I upgraded from an A8-7650k CPU, and a FM2+ Mobo to a B250 Mobo and a Pentium G4560. I bought a product key from Kinguin when i had the original spec-ed computer built a few months ago, and it worked wonderfully. Now that i upgraded, with the same drives as the old AMD specs I had, it says its unactivated, but is still using the product key I bought, but says its being used on another computer. Now, I did use the troubleshooting option, and it failed, but gave me an option to link to another computer (My old AMD one with the a gigabyte mobo appeared so i was relieved until it failed) and use the activation key from that, but it didn't work either. I then bought ANOTHER key from Kinguin, used that, and it also didn't work. I've tried multiple times with both keys and connecting to my old computer's activation, and am not sure what to do next.

I'm sensing a theme here.
    Reply to USAFRet
  4. Best answer
    FelxProxy said:
    kanewolf said:
    Buy a legitimate ($100) windows key and you will be fine. You keep buying keys from a questionable source.

I know I probably should, but considering I'm having a hard time affording the parts i have now which are already dirt cheap, It's hard to buy a $100 windows key, when I know I can get a key for under a third the price. But, I'm not here to explain myself, if I get a Windows 10 license, officially, can I uninstall the key and use it on another computer as many times as I want as long as its not activated on multiple PCs at once? I'm still up for an explanation on my current situation, however, if I can still solve this problem.

You've already spent, on bogus licenses, the price of a valid one.

Buy a real one, and the linking to your MS account, and transfer to a different system (only one at a time, of course) actually does work.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3164428/windows-build-1607-activation.html
    Reply to USAFRet
  5. USAFRet said:
    FelxProxy said:

I'm sensing a theme here.

I understand it's shady, I'm merely asking for a solution. Multiple tech enthusiasts that I'm sure many people trust, like Paul's Hardware, recommend it. I know the second key I bought isn't faulty, It just wants to activate my computer with the code that was attached to my old mobo, I realized that afterwards, so if someone would please advice a solution to the problem I would be grateful.
    Reply to FelxProxy
  6. Paul's Hardware gets paid to say that.
    Shady is shady.
    Reply to USAFRet
  7. USAFRet said:
    FelxProxy said:
    kanewolf said:

You've already spent, on bogus licenses, the price of a valid one.

Buy a real one, and the linking to your MS account, and transfer to a different system (only one at a time, of course) actually does work.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3164428/windows-build-1607-activation.html

Thank you for the links, I've read the microsoft one, but that hasn't helped, the other linked thread has given me lots of information, though. So I guess since I didn't tie my account before the hardware change, I'm screwed? I don't believe it'll let me uninstall the current key (The one i bought first, that I'm aware, so how can I fix this? I went through the menu after you use the troubleshooter where it wants you to choose a device that you used your Microsoft account with, but of course i didn't tie my account to that key, I believe. It's all very confusing.
    Reply to FelxProxy
  8. USAFRet said:
    Paul's Hardware gets paid to say that.
    Shady is shady.

I can't argue with that, whether or not it's true. It still feels bad to assume he's paid to say those things. I just don't feel like he'd lie about something like that.
    Reply to FelxProxy
  9. Yes, you needed to link it to a MS account prior to any hardware change.
    Still might not work with that particular shady license (sold multiple times?), but that is how to do it.
    Reply to USAFRet
  10. FelxProxy said:
    USAFRet said:
    Paul's Hardware gets paid to say that.
    Shady is shady.

I can't argue with that, whether or not it's true. It still feels bad to assume he's paid to say those things. I just don't feel like he'd lie about something like that.

"4 out of 5 dentists recommend..."
    It's not lying (to them) if they call it advertising.
    Reply to USAFRet
  11. Windows 10 is mostly functional without activation. You lose some visual customization, and that's about it. Most of the core/necessary functions are still there.

I've been running Windows 10 for a little over a year without it being activated by this point. In fact, it's still pre-Anniversary update xD.
    Reply to amtseung
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

windows 10 Computers CPUs Motherboards