Solved

Windows 10 RTC errors with unresponsive audio service after creators update

Windows 10 creators update causes random failures of the Windows Audio Service as well as RTC errors in applications and unresponsive control panel sound menus

That's the TLDR, The full story is a random series of failures that have begun to occur after the Creators update for Windows 10 Pro x64. These error involve a Bluetooth headset, Skype, Discord, and various Windows services. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling audio and network drivers, switching from the Windows default drivers to proprietary drivers for my motherboard, and attempting to restart the Windows Audio service (and associated services). These failures are linked and seem to occur and random with no specific trigger other than using RTC protocols for voice chat applications. When the error occurs I can no longer hear or send audio through communications services, however, standard audio (Youtube, music, system sounds) plays unaffected from my speakers. attempting to restart he Windows Audio service at this point results in an endless and unresponsive setting of "stopping". The Control Panel menu for sound is also completely unresponsive as soon as its window is rendered, this also happens with the "remove" and "disconnect" options of the Bluetooth menu. Event Viewer shows no obvious errors and the sound troubleshooter runs and endless loop unless disturbed, at that point it too becomes unresponsive. Restarting the PC fixes the error temporarily. CHKDSK and SFC scans show no problems, Virus and malware scans also show no problems.
I've tried for a week or so to fix this issue but have had no success, I'd appreciate a resolution to this problem that doesn't involve a complete re-install of Windows.
My system specs are as follows:

AMD FX-8320 @4.0Ghz
ASUS M5A97 R2.0 motherboard
Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz DDR3 RAM (16GB)
EVGA GTX 960 FTW 4GB
Kinivo 4.0 Bluetooth USB Adapter
Plantronics M70 Bluetooth headset
Reply to Vixx
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about windows rtc errors unresponsive audio service creators update
  1. A lot of people have been complaining of how the Creators Update has broken their functioning system. The best workaround, if driver and BIOS updates don't do the trick is to revert to your setup prior to the Creators Update. The issue should be solved instantly. On a side note, I'm assuming that you're on the latest BIOS revision and your Bluetooth adapters driver are up to date...?
    Reply to Lutfij
  2. Lutfij said:
    A lot of people have been complaining of how the Creators Update has broken their functioning system. The best workaround, if driver and BIOS updates don't do the trick is to revert to your setup prior to the Creators Update. The issue should be solved instantly. On a side note, I'm assuming that you're on the latest BIOS revision and your Bluetooth adapters driver are up to date...?

Yes, my BIOS is up to date along with my Bluetooth drivers.

Edit: I've just tried rolling back the Creators update and the option to do so is missing, so is the Windows.old folder in my C drive, I did not delete this previous version, it's just gone.
    Reply to Vixx
  3. Booting Windows in a Clean Boot enviroment does not seem to display the issue, I'll be enabling services throughout today bit by bit until I find the one that causes the errors
    Reply to Vixx
  4. The errors displayed themselves in Clean boot. I've used the Reset Windows tool and so far I have not had these errors.

Edit: It took a bit of time but the errors have continued, When able I will be switching out hardware components one by one until I find the one causing these problems.
    Reply to Vixx
  5. Best answer
    A solution has been found and it's a super dumb one. I put my Bluetooth dongle on a USB extension cable to keep it away from my front USB 3.0 port (USB 3.0 ports cause radio interference with Bluetooth stuff so they're not recommended to use for Bluetooth dongles). Two days with no repeat of these errors has absolutely astonished me. I still have no idea why these problems started occurring only after the recent Creators update as I've been using this exact setup for years without issue.
    Reply to Vixx
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

windows 10 Windows Audio