MSI B350 GAMING PRO CARBON vs. ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING

Hey everyone,

I'm in the final stages of buying parts for my new Ryzen PC, and I'm torn between two motherboards.

The two I'm looking at are:

I know it's a long shot as neither of these motherboards has been out very long, but is anyone aware of any significant differences between them?

The only difference that really stands out to me is the M.2 connector placement - I'm concerned about MSI placing it under the graphics card and the heat that will be generated, vs. ASUS giving it plenty of room above the graphics card.

The monitor connectors don't really impact me as I won't have an APU, and I'm not really fussed about having a USB Type-C connector on-board - adapters are a simple solution to that (unless there's a hidden benefit to native ports I'm not aware of?)

Other than that, as far as I can see it's just the aesthetic.

The rest of the build is:

I'm going to be some workstation activities and some light gaming on it, so I don't need all the fancy extras that come with the X370 chipset. The 'gamer' motherboard choice is to complement the black with splash of colour look I'm going for (even workstations can look good!)

I do plan to muck around with Linux and PCI passthrough, so if there's a difference between ASUS and MSI in this regard, and assuming AGESA 1.0.0.6 doesn't change it all, that could be relevant.

If anyone has any thoughts or comments I'd be grateful. Thanks! :)
Reply to Winteresque
2 answers Last reply
More about msi b350 gaming pro carbon asus rog strix b350 gaming
  1. Buy Asus. Its BIOS engineeering better than MSI historically.

As for M.2 port location : MSI makes up for location at it comes with a m.2 shield.
    Reply to eyupo92
  2. Thanks for the reply!

I think I've settled on the ASUS B350-F - I've used ASUS products for years and always been happy with them, plus the LED flair is a bit more subtle.
    Reply to Winteresque
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Gaming MSI-Microstar Ryzen AMD Motherboards AM4