Solved

How to boot new PC without re-installing Win10 first?

I plan on activating Win10 on my new PC as it is linked to my MS account... this may be a dumb questions but how do I boot-up in the first place in Windows isn't already installed?
Reply to Davybats
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about boot installing win10
  1. Davybats said:
    I plan on activating Win10 on my new PC as it is linked to my MS account... this may be a dumb questions but how do I boot-up in the first place in Windows isn't already installed?

No, you have to install the OS to boot from it.
    Later, when it fails to activate with the new hardware...then you go through the actvation troubleshooter.
    Reply to USAFRet
  2. USAFRet said:
    Davybats said:

Later, when it fails to activate with the new hardware...then you go through the actvation troubleshooter.

So if i plug in the original USB that I got from buying Win10 it will install and boot?
    Reply to Davybats
  3. Davybats said:
    USAFRet said:
    Davybats said:

So if i plug in the original USB that I got from buying Win10 it will install and boot?

Yes...Power up and boot from that USB, install the OS.
    Reply to USAFRet
  4. Where are you getting the new PC? It could have Windows 10 already installed and you just login using your MS account. You will then have 2 Windows 10 licenses tied to your MS account.

If your new PC does not come with Windows, you need to download the Windows 10 install to a USB drive and boot the new machine with that. Then login and activated it using your MS account. Keep in mind this deactivates the old machine installation, you can't have it on both.
    Reply to BadAsAl
  5. USAFRet said:
    Davybats said:
    USAFRet said:
    Davybats said:

Yes...Power up and boot from that USB, install the OS.

Thanks! Will it ask for the code it came with or MS acc info?
    Reply to Davybats
  6. Best answer
    Or even easier....
    Create a NEW Win 10 install, here:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

This will include all of the current updates, so that you don't have to do it.

During the install, when it asks for the license key., at the bottom of that window is a link for :
    "I don't have a product key"
    Or, use the license key that it came with when you purchased it.

Click that and proceed.
    It will be unactivated, because of the new hardware.
    When you try to activate it, then you go through the activation troubleshooter, telling it about the linkage to your MS account.
    Reply to USAFRet
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Windows windows 10 PC Builds Boot