Can I use a 5 year old fsp group psu in my dad's budget system

Hello Everyone,

Soon, I am going to be building a computer for my dad. This computer is going to be extremely budget oriented, featuring a g4560, with intel hd graphics. The build is looking to be around $250 approximately. To save some money, could I possibly use an fsp group 350 80+ psu that's a few years old/maybe older that I have lying around that I ripped out of a system? I would never do this with a dell power supply or pre built, but fsp group is a decent brand. What are your thoughts?
8 answers Last reply
More about year fsp group psu dad budget system
  1. I see absolutely no problems with doing that. FSP is, as you mentioned, a decent brand - nothing too fancy, but miles above all crappy stuff people sell these days as PSUs. And after all, this build will be extremely low-power one. No worries at all. In fact, you could easily add a GPU to this rig, as long as it uses below 75W.
  2. Even the lowest end FSPs are firmly in the 'not dangerous' category. Go for it
  3. Floww said:
    your thoughts?

The brand is good, there is no problem at all using it.

Only one thing, the electrolitic caps degrade with the time (and even more with high temps), if the PSU is very old you could have a higher posility of a cap failure/leak.

Depends what you call "a few years old/maybe older"... if we are talking of 7-10+ years i would replace if i dont want face the risk of a PSU failure, if it's more like 3+ there is absolute no problem.
  4. herrwizo said:
    I see absolutely no problems with doing that. FSP is, as you mentioned, a decent brand - nothing too fancy, but miles above all crappy stuff people sell these days as PSUs. And after all, this build will be extremely low-power one. No worries at all. In fact, you could easily add a GPU to this rig, as long as it uses below 75W.

Thank you for the reply. My dad does not game, apart from possibly some light web games, so I probably will just be either using intel hd graphics or a hd 4870 I have lying around
  5. LucoTF said:
    Even the lowest end FSPs are firmly in the 'not dangerous' category. Go for it

Thank you Luco! I will keep that in mind.
  6. juanrdp said:
    Floww said:
    your thoughts?

The brand is good, there is no problem at all using it.

Only one thing, the electrolitic caps degrade with the time (and even more with high temps), if the PSU is very old you could have a higher posility of a cap failure/leak.

Depends what you call "a few years old/maybe older"... if we are talking of 7-10+ years i would replace if i dont want face the risk of a PSU failure, if it's more like 3+ there is absolute no problem.

I am not sure of the exact age, because I received the system from someone that unfortunately passed away. It came from an athlon x2 system, which probably makes it around 6 years old, however the system was probably used as an office build and the system as been dismantled for a year. What do you think about that? Should I use it?
  7. Floww said:
    ..which probably makes it around 6 years old, however the system was probably used as an office build and the system as been dismantled for a year. What do you think about that? Should I use it?

If a failure of the equipment is very problematic (your father use it for something related to work, access bank account, or something like that) just replace it, otherwise due the fact that the very small budget you are using i would just live with the risk of a failure.

The common problem with a PSU failure is that bad PSUs dont have safety measures that could harm the rest of the equipment, that is not your problem only that some day it could stop working.
  8. juanrdp said:
    Floww said:
    ..which probably makes it around 6 years old, however the system was probably used as an office build and the system as been dismantled for a year. What do you think about that? Should I use it?

If a failure of the equipment is very problematic (your father use it for something related to work, access bank account, or something like that) just replace it, otherwise due the fact that the very small budget you are using i would just live with the risk of a failure.

The common problem with a PSU failure is that bad PSUs dont have safety measures that could harm the rest of the equipment, that is not your problem only that some day it could stop working.

Yeah, I have thought about it, but now I have come to it, I think it would be better to get a brand new one as my dad will most likely be using it for work.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Power g4560 Computers Powersupply budget FSP