Solved

Blue screen of death with a damaged hard drive

Dear community

I am currently using a Samsung Notebook RF Series, and had it update to windows 10 a few months back. Everything seemed fine untill the this one update that froze and shut down the computer due to an unknown error.

I turned on the computer only to have found it unable to load windows 10. The loading circles stopped midways after about 3-4 seconds after the windows sign is shown. Thereafter I am brought to the wellknown blue screen of death.

Though the issue does not end there, I have tried most things from the net about using the troubleshooter.
And it seems like to me that the hard drive D: , also the one containing the reg, windows and all of the important things is damaged (Everything seems to be in D: and not C: on my case).
So using any software built in from the drive appears to be out of the question.
I am also unable to get into safemode or anything else and there are no rollbacks.

This seems to be the biggest issue I have ever faced and a rare one as I haven't managed to find any posts about it online.
I will be eternally grateful for your answer.

With best wishes!
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about blue screen death damaged hard drive
  1. Best answer
    Its only marked as D drive because you booted off a USB and it rearranges the drive letters, its still really C drive.

is there anything on C drive you want to rescue? try making this on another PC: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

Did you boot off a win 10 installer? If not, On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

I would suggest a fresh install once you backup everything you want to save off hdd
    change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
    boot from installer
    follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here)
  2. Colif said:
    Its only marked as D drive because you booted off a USB and it rearranges the drive letters, its still really C drive.

is there anything on C drive you want to rescue? try making this on another PC: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

Did you boot off a win 10 installer? If not, On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

I would suggest a fresh install once you backup everything you want to save off hdd
    change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
    boot from installer
    follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here)

Will this methode delete anything that is on either D or C drive?
    And thank you for an answer, I thought that this had become a quite hopeless case.
  3. This method wipes the entire hard drive C is on. That is why I showed you the Linux link so you can copy all the data off C drive you want to keep. It looks like you only have 1 hard drive in PC so will need to copy everything off it before you reinstall windows 10.

When i say everything, just keep documents, music, movies, pictures, anything you made that you cannot download again afterwards. All programs will need to be reinstalled so that windows sees them
Ask a new question

Read More

windows 10 Blue Screen Hard Drives