Solved

Can you change Icon of a shortcut in Chrome

As per topic, I have 2 red icons that I always get mixed up. One is YouTube & other is Toms. I often find myself wanting to go from Toms to YouTube and instead I open Toms again.

So if there is an easy way to change the icon color it would be great as I won't keep making this mistake. Or another suggestion, as both shortcuts live on my bookmark bar and I see them all day.
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about change icon shortcut chrome
  1. Yeah I would like to know this myself lol.

2. Dunlop0078 said:
    Yeah I would like to know this myself lol.

I had that, decided to split them up with a bunch of folders but normally don't need to look at the icons so i glance and see red (literally) and click 1st one and come back to where ever it was i had been. Mostly its toms. I may learn eventually that YT is far left of browser and Toms far right.
  3. I looked around in Bookmark Manager/Edit, but could only find a way to change the name of the bookmark, not the icon or it's color. I believe that the icons are dictated by the various sites, using their copyrighted images, so probably not possible to edit them.
  4. Just need to convince Toms Hardware & Toms Guide to swap colours and then a Blue icon would be easier to tell apart :)

hmm, inconvenience of 2 icons with same colors verses use Toms Guide as shortcut (as it would be blue) and navigate to toms Hardware every day via shortcut at bottom of page. I think I just have to live with it as 2nd choice would get annoying fast.
  5. Best answer
    Colif said:
    Just need to convince Toms Hardware & Toms Guide to swap colours and then a Blue icon would be easier to tell apart :)

hmm, inconvenience of 2 icons with same colors verses use Toms Guide as shortcut (as it would be blue) and navigate to toms Hardware every day via shortcut at bottom of page. I think I just have to live with it as 2nd choice would get annoying fast.

If you are graphically inclined you can first create your own icon. You can also find your favorite icon online.

After you have your preferred icon you can Google Bookmark Favicon Changer. After that is added to Chrome that plugin? will be enabled at any page where the icon can be changed. That is pretty much any website.

Right click that icon

Click options

Click the shortcut you want to modify

Click Shortcut button within that options page

Add your preferred URL

Add a custom name if you want

Select your Favicon aka the icon you just downloaded or created. I downloaded a 48x48 px icon.

Choose where you want your shortcut to be.

Add the icon.

I started with The hammer and Tom's name. I ended up with a Mercedes Benz icon that also takes me to Tom's.

6. I am not graphically inclined but sure I can find something to do trick.

I knew there had to be a way :)

7. Colif said:
    I am not graphically inclined but sure I can find something to do trick.

I knew there had to be a way :)

You're welcome :)
  8. I went ahead and added a tutorial for those that may want to personalize their bookmark icons. I must admit I have ran into the same issue but I just change their positions. Changing their look is better than any band-aid. Thanks for the question.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3378992/change-bookmark-icons-chrome.html
  9. I saw that and knew where you inspiration for tutorial from :)
  10. Colif said:
    I saw that and knew where you inspiration for tutorial from :)

LMAO. Now I can't stop smiling. Yes, you were my inspiration. Thanks again :D

Fixed some of the spelling mistakes. Never was good with grammar.
  11. i just asked question, you answered it. I had seen a add on that changed icons on Firefox but nothing for chrome. its why I asked
Ask a new question

Read More

Chrome YouTube Icons