Solved

What is an amazing motherboard less than $150?

I was planning on getting the Asus ROG Maximus Viii Hero, but then I realized it was too expensive for my build. The maximus viii hero costs $210 on amazon. I want to get a Atx motherboard that support LGA 1151, so it can be either Z170 or Z270. It should support DDR4 and windows 10. I plan on gaming at 1080p 144Hz. So, keep that in mind. What should I get?
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about amazing motherboard 150
  1. Many $60 motherboards are amazing. They will run an i7 processor at stock speed, support DDR4 and windows 10. It will work for gaming at 1080p 144Hz.

A more expensive motherboard will give you more features, but it is up to you to decide what you need.
    For example, if you are overclocking a 6700k processor, you need a Z170, for a 7700k processor, you need a Z270. For other cheaper processors, you don't need and won't benefit from these types of motherboard.
  2. Depends on what other features you need.

If you have an unlocked Skylake CPU (6th-gen), then Z170 or Z270. But if you have an unlocked Kaby Lake (7th-gen), it is better to stick with the Z270 to eliminate any possible incompatibility issues in updating the Z170 mobo's BIOS to fully support 7th-gen (as the Z270 supports the 7th-gen CPUs out-of-the-box).

What DDR4 RAM speeds to you need and how many GB's?

What GPU/s will you use for gaming at 1080p 144Hz? Is it a single powerful GPU (like the GTX 1080 Ti)? Or, will it be a multi-GPU setup? If multi-GPU, are your needing AMD CrossFire or Nvidia SLI? How many GPU's will you need max.?

Are you going to use M.2 SSD drives? If yes, how many?

Will you be needing other additional PCIe cards (such as Wi-Fi adapters or sound cards)?

Do you want on-board Wifi/Bluetooth/Wireless connectivity or not?

How many USB2.0 internal headers (devices to be plugged) will you need? How many USB3.0 internal headers? Do you need internal USB3.1 headers?

Do you prefer Intel or Realtek LAN controllers?

Do you need dual BIOS support?

Do you have a particular color-theme for the motherboard to match your other components or not? Do you like LED features on the motherboard?

Will you be needing any special ports from the motherboard (such as COM, Serial, Parallel, Thunderbolt, etc.)?

How many fan headers do you like to have? Do you need dedicated AIO or water pump headers as well?

Does your PSU have 24-pin, 4-pin, and/or 8-pin ATX12V cables?

Do you want a debug LED display?

Would you need Type-C USB connection at the rear port? How many Type-A USB rear port panels do you need?

How many audio jacks at the rear panel do you need?

What is the total number of SATA devices you will connect (HDD, SSD, and ODD)?
  3. raisonjohn said:
    Depends on what other features you need.

If you have an unlocked Skylake CPU (6th-gen), then Z170 or Z270. But if you have an unlocked Kaby Lake (7th-gen), it is better to stick with the Z270 to eliminate any possible incompatibility issues in updating the Z170 mobo's BIOS to fully support 7th-gen (as the Z270 supports the 7th-gen CPUs out-of-the-box).

What DDR4 RAM speeds to you need and how many GB's?

What GPU/s will you use for gaming at 1080p 144Hz? Is it a single powerful GPU (like the GTX 1080 Ti)? Or, will it be a multi-GPU setup? If multi-GPU, are your needing AMD CrossFire or Nvidia SLI? How many GPU's will you need max.?

Are you going to use M.2 SSD drives? If yes, how many?

Will you be needing other additional PCIe cards (such as Wi-Fi adapters or sound cards)?

Do you want on-board Wifi/Bluetooth/Wireless connectivity or not?

How many USB2.0 internal headers (devices to be plugged) will you need? How many USB3.0 internal headers? Do you need internal USB3.1 headers?

Do you prefer Intel or Realtek LAN controllers?

Do you need dual BIOS support?

Do you have a particular color-theme for the motherboard to match your other components or not? Do you like LED features on the motherboard?

Will you be needing any special ports from the motherboard (such as COM, Serial, Parallel, Thunderbolt, etc.)?

How many fan headers do you like to have? Do you need dedicated AIO or water pump headers as well?

Does your PSU have 24-pin, 4-pin, and/or 8-pin ATX12V cables?

Do you want a debug LED display?

Would you need Type-C USB connection at the rear port? How many Type-A USB rear port panels do you need?

How many audio jacks at the rear panel do you need?

What is the total number of SATA devices you will connect (HDD, SSD, and ODD)?

I'll try my best to answer these questions as it is my first time building a pc. I think I'll go with Kabylake. So Z270.

1. I am going with 3000MHz DDR4 and I will have 16GB (2x8)
    2. I am going with one GPU. The gtx 1060.
    3. I will use a M.2 ssd drive for my Samsung 850 EVO 250GB. Just 1 is fine.
    4. I want to add a bluetooth and wifi combo adapter, but some are in usb form, so let's just have PCIe.
    5. I will have minimum 2 usb devices (mouse and Keyboard). Maybe a wifi and bluetooth combo adapter.
    6. It doesn't matter.
    7. Sure, better safe than sorry.
    8. Not really. I don't want any lighting because it makes the motherboard more expensive.
    9. Not really, the basic ones are fine enough.
    10. I will most likely have 1 cpu fan cooler, and 3 other fans. I won't have a water pump or liquid cooling.
    11. The PSU has a 24-pin connection.
    12. I'm not sure. But, if it makes the motherboard more expensive, then I don't want it.
    13. I won't need any Type-C USB, but I'll need at least 2 Type-A USB.
    14. My monitor will be a Asus VG248QE, and it has a green "PC Audio Line-in" jack. So I'm not really sure.
    15. I will have 1 sata device, which is a HDD. WD Blue 1 TB 7200rpm
  4. Best answer
    Based on your requirements and additional information, here are several ATX-sized motherboard options to choose from:

Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3 ($114.99 @ Amazon)
    Website: http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z270-HD3-rev-10#kf
    Specs: 4x DDR4 RAM slots up to 3866MHz | ALC887 Audio Codec with 6 audio jacks | Intel LAN controller | 1x PCIe x16 slot for GPU (+ 2x PCIe x16 slots at AMD CrossFire support or for other PCIe cards) | 2x PCIe x1 slot for other PCIe cards | 1x M.2 socket | 6x SATA ports | 4x USB3.0 Type-A rear ports + 2x USB2.0 Type-A rear ports | 1x 24-pin and 1x 8-pin ATX12V power sockets | 4x Fan Headers (1x CPU fan + 3x Case fans) | Dual BIOS support (2x 64Mbit flash) | Windows 10 support | ATX form factor

Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3P ($126.89 @ OutletPC)
    Website: http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z270-HD3P-rev-10#kf
    Specs: 4x DDR4 RAM slots up to 3866MHz | ALC887 Audio Codec with 6 audio jacks | Intel LAN controller | 1x PCIe x16 slot for GPU (+ 1x PCIe x16 slots at AMD CrossFire support or for other PCIe card) | 2x PCIe x1 slot for other PCIe cards | 1x M.2 socket | 6x SATA ports | 1x USB3.1 Type-C and 1x USB3.1 Type-A rear ports + 6x USB3.0 Type-A rear ports | 1x 24-pin and 1x 8-pin ATX12V power sockets | 4x Fan Headers (1x CPU fan + 3x Case fans) | Dual BIOS support (2x 64Mbit flash) | Windows 10 support | ATX form factor

Gigabyte GA-Z270XP-SLI ($139.89 @ OutletPC)
    Website: http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z270XP-SLI-rev-10#kf
    Specs: 4x DDR4 RAM slots up to 3866MHz | ALC1220 Audio Codec with 6 audio jacks | Intel LAN controller | 1x PCIe x16 slot for GPU (+ 2x PCIe x16 slots at Nvidia SLI and/or AMD CrossFire support or for other PCIe cards) | 3x PCIe x1 slot for other PCIe cards | 1x M.2 socket | 6x SATA ports | 1x USB3.1 Type-C and 1x USB3.1 Type-A rear ports + 6x USB3.0 Type-A rear ports | 1x 24-pin and 1x 8-pin ATX12V power sockets | 5x Fan Headers (1x CPU fan + 3x Case fans + 1x AIO fan) | Dual BIOS support (2x 64Mbit flash) | Windows 10 support | ATX form factor
  5. raisonjohn said:
    Based on your requirements and additional information, here are several ATX-sized motherboard options to choose from:

Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3 ($114.99 @ Amazon)
    Website: http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z270-HD3-rev-10#kf
    Specs: 4x DDR4 RAM slots up to 3866MHz | ALC887 Audio Codec with 6 audio jacks | Intel LAN controller | 1x PCIe x16 slot for GPU (+ 2x PCIe x16 slots at AMD CrossFire support or for other PCIe cards) | 2x PCIe x1 slot for other PCIe cards | 1x M.2 socket | 6x SATA ports | 4x USB3.0 Type-A rear ports + 2x USB2.0 Type-A rear ports | 1x 24-pin and 1x 8-pin ATX12V power sockets | 4x Fan Headers (1x CPU fan + 3x Case fans) | Dual BIOS support (2x 64Mbit flash) | Windows 10 support | ATX form factor

Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3P ($126.89 @ OutletPC)
    Website: http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z270-HD3P-rev-10#kf
    Specs: 4x DDR4 RAM slots up to 3866MHz | ALC887 Audio Codec with 6 audio jacks | Intel LAN controller | 1x PCIe x16 slot for GPU (+ 1x PCIe x16 slots at AMD CrossFire support or for other PCIe card) | 2x PCIe x1 slot for other PCIe cards | 1x M.2 socket | 6x SATA ports | 1x USB3.1 Type-C and 1x USB3.1 Type-A rear ports + 6x USB3.0 Type-A rear ports | 1x 24-pin and 1x 8-pin ATX12V power sockets | 4x Fan Headers (1x CPU fan + 3x Case fans) | Dual BIOS support (2x 64Mbit flash) | Windows 10 support | ATX form factor

Gigabyte GA-Z270XP-SLI ($139.89 @ OutletPC)
    Website: http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z270XP-SLI-rev-10#kf
    Specs: 4x DDR4 RAM slots up to 3866MHz | ALC1220 Audio Codec with 6 audio jacks | Intel LAN controller | 1x PCIe x16 slot for GPU (+ 2x PCIe x16 slots at Nvidia SLI and/or AMD CrossFire support or for other PCIe cards) | 3x PCIe x1 slot for other PCIe cards | 1x M.2 socket | 6x SATA ports | 1x USB3.1 Type-C and 1x USB3.1 Type-A rear ports + 6x USB3.0 Type-A rear ports | 1x 24-pin and 1x 8-pin ATX12V power sockets | 5x Fan Headers (1x CPU fan + 3x Case fans + 1x AIO fan) | Dual BIOS support (2x 64Mbit flash) | Windows 10 support | ATX form factor

Wow! Thanks for all the information and help! I really appreciate it!!
Ask a new question

Read More

Support Motherboards