7-year-old PC upgrade suggestion

Hello,

I have two PCs, currently running Windows XP, which I want to upgrade after 7-8 years. They haven't been connected to the internet until now, so I want to install more current OS which is not facing security issues like XP.

Here are the configurations:

Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L
Intel E3300/Intel E5300 (E3300 on the first one and 5300 on the second one)
WD3200AAKS
2GB DDR2 Ram
WinFast 210 graphics (I know, it was a crap 7 years ago, too)

Computers are normally used for everyday work. They are a part of a network (which consists of 4 computers), where PC with Intel E5300 acts as a server for storing data about customers.
1. Should I consider buying 2x2gb DDR2 and upgrading to x64 system, or do you prefer leaving 2gb DDR2 and upgrading to more up-to-date x86 system?
2. For these purposes, should I use Win7 or Win10?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
2 answers Last reply
More about year upgrade suggestion
  1. The motherboard is not Win10 compliant.

if you upgrade the memory to 4GB (2x2GB), I would try to upgrade to Win7 64-Bit. However, make sure that your software will run under a 64-Bit OS, otherwise stick with the 32-Bit version of the OS.
  2. Emerald said:
    The motherboard is not Win10 compliant.

if you upgrade the memory to 4GB (2x2GB), I would try to upgrade to Win7 64-Bit. However, make sure that your software will run under a 64-Bit OS, otherwise stick with the 32-Bit version of the OS.

Thank you on your suggestion.
    I see that motherboard isn't Windows 10 compliant. Should I give it a try anyway, because some articles on the internet claim that if win7 drivers are working properly on win10, that win10 is much better solution because it is better performing than win7 (especially because it is older machine, and win 10 is also made for tablets etc.)?
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Intel Gigabyte Windows XP