Win10 DVD & BD drivers

a) Hitachi-LG DVD Burner, Model No. HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GUE1N
b) Matshita (Panasonic) Blu-ray Burner BD-RE, Model No. UJ240 EJTJ6-B
c) Hitachi-LG DVD Burner, Model No. HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT20N

I purchased the ASUS X540SA-XX345T Notebook on 20 December 2016 complete with a) internal DVD burner HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GUE1N. Peripheral Optical Disk Drives b) and c) are plug and play via the USB 3.1 port.

The Win10 DVD & BD drivers are always the default cdrom.sys and not the device specific xxxxx.sys. Is this normal for Win10? If not normal, how can plug and play drivers be manually forced to be installed into Win10 OS?
3 answers Last reply
More about win10 dvd drivers
  1. it depends on age of drivers as since version 1607 the drivers themselves need to be digitally signed by MS to work with win 10.

I can't seem to find anything for 1st one and though I found firmware for 2nd one, no idea how old it is

All the instructions i found showed to just install them through device manager. I have seen reports of problems with Win 10 identifying Optical drives the last few months
  2. Hello Colif, thank you for your response complete with hyperlink. This hyperlink to Panasonic DMP-BD35 Firmware Download appears as an "also ran" topic when searching the internet. This hyperlink is not and I did not find firmware for Panasonic Blu-ray Device UJ240 during my search of the internet.

I have three Optical Disk Drives (ODD) and the Win10 device manager does not provide the device specific xxxxx.sys driver for any of them. Does anyone know how to manually get the firmware for any of these Optical Disk Drives?

My OS is Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1607 (build 14393.969). So how do I switch off the Win10 v1607 requirement for optical disk drivers to be digitally signed by Microsoft?

Can the Win10 v1607 requirement be toggled off for device manager to download the old xxxxx.sys driver files and then back on? Will the old drivers that are not digitally signed by Microsoft become disabled when the Win10 v1607 requirement is switched back on? Kind regards.
  3. Win7 and Win 8 Device Managers automatically update their plug-and-play optical drivers. My Win10 Device Manager appears to be faulty because the default Microsoft cdrom.sys driver is not updated to the optical device specific driver from within the manufacture's firmware.

(1) I have attempted an automatic update in Win10 Device Manager:
    a) Right-click on the Start button
    b) Select Device Manager
    c) Expand one of the categories to find the name of your device
    d) Right-click (or tap and hold) it, and select Update Driver Software.
    e) Select Search automatically for updated driver software.
    f) Restart unit after update is finished

However, the optical drive's specific driver was not installed.

(2) I have also deleted the optical device from within Win10 Device Manager, but upon restart the optical device default Microsoft cdrom.sys driver was installed again.

(3) I have also attempted to disable driver signature enforcement:
    a) Click on the Start Button
    b) Settings
    c) Update & Security
    d) Recovery (left side)
    e) Under Advanced Startup select Restart Now
    f) Select Troubleshoot
    g) Advanced Options
    h) Under Startup Settings select Restart
    i) On page refresh, click on f7 to select Option 7) Disable driver signature enforcement

I revisited the disable driver process to toggle the option 7 driver signature enforcement back on, only to discover that it had never been disabled.

The Win10 optical driver default of cdrom.sys persisted. Has anyone managed to update their Win10 optical drivers? Thank you.
Ask a new question

Read More

DVD Drivers