Solved

PC takes many so many times to boot and crashes, help?

Lately my Alienware 17 r4 laptop with an Nvidia Gtx graphics card has been taking a few attempts to boot, I usually have to force shut down by holding power button, and then eventually brings up auto repair, it usually doesn't get past the spinning circle of loading, and just goes complete black, it's annoying enough that sometimes it doesn't even turn on till I leave it for a few hours, but can usually get it after a few attempts of force shutting down, I tried reinstalling windows and that helped almost nothing, this has been an issue for a while what can I do?
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about takes times boot crashes
  1. Have you checked to see if it's a driver compatibility issue? Try using the onboard graphics to see if it boots. If you have a spare graphics card around, that would work too.

Could also be a failing hard drive, which would give symptoms similar, would also make sense as you re-installed Windows and got the same issue.

Before you do any hardware changes use a disk imager like Drive Cloner Rx or Acronis True Image to back up your data.
  2. LukeFatwalker said:
    Have you checked to see if it's a driver compatibility issue? Try using the onboard graphics to see if it boots. If you have a spare graphics card around, that would work too.

Could also be a failing hard drive, which would give symptoms similar, would also make sense as you re-installed Windows and got the same issue.

Before you do any hardware changes use a disk imager like Drive Cloner Rx or Acronis True Image to back up your data.

I'm almost certain it's a driver compatibility issue, what can I do about that?
  3. Best answer
    You have your on board graphics, which are bare bones, but for the purposes of booting and rectifying the issue, you'll want to boot with your on boards graphics, not your designated graphics card. One way to do this is to boot into Safe Mode.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Boot