Solved

Blue screen of death 0xc000000f

so about 2 days ago i booted up my computer to be greeted by a BSOD with the error code 0xc0430007
I dont remeber exactly what it said but it was something about a file corrupted or missing so i seach google and start using cmd on my windows 10 recovery stick i used the followinf commands
bootrec /fixmdr
Success
bootrec /fixboot
Success
bootrec /rebuildbcd
It finds a windows install but when i type y to repair it it says somthing like the drive cannot be found i restart my computer and try again the next day i get a new error code 0xc00000f
It says my bcd is corrupted tried a few commands with no avail i run thesfc /scannow command takes 7 houres with no success finally i did a few commands that involved manually routing where i want the bcd to be built i was successful but the problem was not solved i got a different error code 0xc0000098 it said some files in c:\windows \system32\drivers were missing or corrupted i replaced the files from a working windows 10 computer now its stuck on the same file ksecdd.sys with the same error code i replaced the file many times with no change. After this i decided to reset my pc and when i try it says
the hard drive Windows is installed on is locked i tried several commands to try and unlock it with no luck im out of options

Update the error code has change to 0xc00000f
It says the boot configuration data for your pc is missing or contains errors
File: \efi\microsoft\boot\bcd

System specs
MoBo: msi 990fxa gd80
Cpu: amd fx8350
Psu: corsair cx750
Hdd: seagate 4tb
Ram: corsair 16gb vengeance ram
Gpu: evga gtx 960 ssc
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about blue screen death 0xc0000098
  1. May as well reinstall windows. Or buy another hdd
  2. note: original error code:
    Error code: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0430007 (3225616391) - Secure Boot requires that certain files and drivers are not replaced by other files or drivers.

you might just need to turn off the secure boot or set your bios boot mode from secure boot to legacy boot.
    google UEFI secure boot for your machine and how to disable it so you can do a OS file upgrade
    --------
    also note:
    bootrec.exe /scanos will scan the drives for windows installs and might fix cases where driver letter assignments have changed.
    ----------
    several things can lock a disk, if the system crashed and the system disk reverts to a RAW format, the disk may say it is locked until a chkdisk is run on the drive.

also during some upgrade process the disk can be marked read only. if the upgrade fails you can be left with a read only windows HDD that the system will report as locked.

generally you would have to run a boot image of windows, then start the command prompt (cm.dexe) and run diskpart.exe

then run commands to see if your disk is marked read only (or raw)
    list disk (should show the list of drives in the system)
    select disk 0 (most often the windows disk)
    detail disk (this should show the information about the current read-only state)

here is what my system shows:

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
    -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
    Disk 0 Online 465 GB 0 B

DISKPART> select disk 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> detail disk

Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB
    Disk ID: 0879502F
    Type : SATA
    Path : 3
    Target : 0
    LUN ID : 0
    Location Path : PCIROOT(0)#PCI(1F02)#ATA(C03T00L00)
    Current Read-only State : No
    Read-only : No
    Boot Disk : Yes
    Pagefile Disk : Yes
    Hibernation File Disk : No
    Crashdump Disk : Yes
    Clustered Disk : No

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
    ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
    Volume 1 System Rese NTFS Partition 350 MB Healthy
    Volume 2 C NTFS Partition 464 GB Healthy System
    Volume 3 NTFS Partition 450 MB Healthy Hidden

DISKPART>
    exit will get you out of diskpart.exe

if it is read only you can reset the bit or use the clean command to remove all the info from the drive and make it usable again. It has been a long time since i reset these bits but if it is marked read only I can look up how to do it for you if you need.

if the disk is listed as raw, then just run
    chkdsk c: /f
    and it should restore the file system
  3. johnbl said:
    note: original error code:
    Error code: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0430007 (3225616391) - Secure Boot requires that certain files and drivers are not replaced by other files or drivers.

you might just need to turn off the secure boot or set your bios boot mode from secure boot to legacy boot.
    google UEFI secure boot for your machine and how to disable it so you can do a OS file upgrade
    --------
    also note:
    bootrec.exe /scanos will scan the drives for windows installs and might fix cases where driver letter assignments have changed.
    ----------
    several things can lock a disk, if the system crashed and the system disk reverts to a RAW format, the disk may say it is locked until a chkdisk is run on the drive.

also during some upgrade process the disk can be marked read only. if the upgrade fails you can be left with a read only windows HDD that the system will report as locked.

generally you would have to run a boot image of windows, then start the command prompt (cm.dexe) and run diskpart.exe

then run commands to see if your disk is marked read only (or raw)
    list disk (should show the list of drives in the system)
    select disk 0 (most often the windows disk)
    detail disk (this should show the information about the current read-only state)

here is what my system shows:

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
    -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
    Disk 0 Online 465 GB 0 B

DISKPART> select disk 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> detail disk

Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB
    Disk ID: 0879502F
    Type : SATA
    Path : 3
    Target : 0
    LUN ID : 0
    Location Path : PCIROOT(0)#PCI(1F02)#ATA(C03T00L00)
    Current Read-only State : No
    Read-only : No
    Boot Disk : Yes
    Pagefile Disk : Yes
    Hibernation File Disk : No
    Crashdump Disk : Yes
    Clustered Disk : No

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
    ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
    Volume 1 System Rese NTFS Partition 350 MB Healthy
    Volume 2 C NTFS Partition 464 GB Healthy System
    Volume 3 NTFS Partition 450 MB Healthy Hidden

DISKPART>
    exit will get you out of diskpart.exe

if it is read only you can reset the bit or use the clean command to remove all the info from the drive and make it usable again. It has been a long time since i reset these bits but if it is marked read only I can look up how to do it for you if you need.

if the disk is listed as raw, then just run
    chkdsk c: /f
    and it should restore the file system

okay so i ran the bootrec.exe /scanos and it found 1 install of windows
    checked my hard drive and it says it not read only but it does not say its the boot disk either
    i ran chkdsk c: /f just in case and resulted with no errors
    im still looking for a way to disable uefi mode in my bios ill update when i find out how
    also i didnt meant to rate bad on your solution the phone verson of the forum is really bad

update i tried disabling uefi in my bios but it results in a boot loop no error no windows loading screen i might be doing it wrong but i dont see any other way of doing it when going back into bios uefi is enabled again
  4. Did you install a TPM 1.2 module for bitlocker?? Or is there a TPM 1.2 module in your system?

I'm pretty sure that's what that 0xc000000f (and/or 0xc000000d) error means.

Trying to repair it wont fix it. You have to remove/replace the TPM module

When I did a clean install of Win10 AU, it kept bringing up the 0xc000000d error.

After 3-4 resets it would boot into windws. But as above it would do the same thing the next day

It was because I had installed an ASUS TPM 1.2 module, in this.

I had to either remove it, or replace it with a TPM 2 module to fix it (I brought a TPM 2 module on Ebay. the error never came back)

If you installed Win10 AU it'll kill TPM 1.2. It only supports TPM 2.0. Even if you dont use bitlocker

Only way to fix it remove the TPM module, or get a TPM 2 module
  5. Paul NZ said:
    Did you install a TPM 1.2 module for bitlocker?? Or is there a TPM 1.2 module in your system?

I'm pretty sure that's what that 0xc000000f (and/or 0xc000000d) error means.

Trying to repair it wont fix it. You have to remove/replace the TPM module

When I did a clean install of Win10 AU, it kept bringing up the 0xc000000d error.

After 3-4 resets it would boot into windws. But as above it would do the same thing the next day

It was because I had installed an ASUS TPM 1.2 module, in this.

I had to either remove it, or replace it with a TPM 2 module to fix it (I brought a TPM 2 module on Ebay. the error never came back)

If you installed Win10 AU it'll kill TPM 1.2. It only supports TPM 2.0. Even if you dont use bitlocker

Only way to fix it remove the TPM module, or get a TPM 2 module

i have never heard of a tpm module so i dont think i have one does it only apply to win 10 AU? and if it doesn't or if i have it how do i remove it

also i checked the volumes on my disk again and one of them is raw its partition 7 and has no letter and is marked as hidden i assigned it letter a and ran chkdsk a: f/ and it could not run because its a raw partition
  6. Yup it only applies to Win10 AU. If you installed Win10 the original version or 1511 whatever it is, you wouldnt get that message

Your mobo does support TPM. The header is under system fan 4

I see this mobo has a firewire header as well.

Whatever you do, dont plug a USB 2 cable from the front into it. It'll fry it
  7. Is the hdd from something else?

I cant see anything about secureboot , legacy or UEFI in the manual.

And the BIOS pics in the manual, dont look like an UEFI BIOS

So I dont know how, you would be able boot from it.

If that \efi\microsoft\boot\bcd error is coming up, the mobo would have to have an UEFI BIOS ?
  8. Paul NZ said:
    Is the hdd from something else?

If that \efi\microsoft\boot\bcd error is coming up, the mobo would have to have an UEFI BIOS ?

it must be because like you said i wouldn't get a error i dont think tpm is the problem the problem just occurred out of no where it worked fine since 2015 no problems same hardware im going to try hirens boot to see if anything happens

Update hirens boot did nothing except make me look stupid i followed a tutorial online where i had to create a new boot partition first tutorial i was able to follow with out a error the error code has once again changed to 0xc0000098
    Saying a system file is missing or corrupted i replaced the file but no fix and it displays the same error and same file starting system refresh however allows me to start the refresh but it wont go beyond 1% after saying it could not be done
  9. Best answer
    the problem is now fixed sadly there was no other way but to format my hdd luckily I was able to back up the user folder with all the personal stuff so I had to manually do a refresh I have reinstalled windows and the system boots the hdd no problem now I'm in the process of copying back my files thank you to everyone who gave me suggestions
  10. Error code: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000098 (3221225624) - The volume for a file has been externally altered such that the opened file is no longer valid.

dr777669 said:
    Paul NZ said:
    Is the hdd from something else?

it must be because like you said i wouldn't get a error i dont think tpm is the problem the problem just occurred out of no where it worked fine since 2015 no problems same hardware im going to try hirens boot to see if anything happens

Update hirens boot did nothing except make me look stupid i followed a tutorial online where i had to create a new boot partition first tutorial i was able to follow with out a error the error code has once again changed to 0xc0000098
    Saying a system file is missing or corrupted i replaced the file but no fix and it displays the same error and same file starting system refresh however allows me to start the refresh but it wont go beyond 1% after saying it could not be done
  11. I think you were trying to boot from another hdd that wasnt installed on this.

And it (this hdd) may have been installed on a system that supports UEFI / has GPT partitions and encrypted with bitlocker
Ask a new question

Read More

Blue Screen Command Prompt Computers