How negatively does higher CPU VTT and Vcore voltages affect MOBO and CPU lifespan?

Hi!

I just tried to fiddle with my overclock again, and ran into some rather severe stability problems when trying to push it. I've basically followed this guide http://www.overclockers.com/3-step-guide-overclock-core-i3-i5-i7/

I'm running a rather archaic system; the memory, MB and CPU is from 2009, yet it still serves my needs well, which is 1080p gaming with 60fps+ in games like BF1 on high/ultra settings.

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3, P55, Socket-1156
Intel® Core™ i7-860 Processor @ 2.8GHz, first fucking gen i7 Lynnfield OG represent 8)
ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 3GB DUAL
Crucial DDR3 1333MHz CL9 2GBx4
Corsair RM650x 650W PSU
512GB SSD, Windows 7

Default settings are 133MHz BCLK with a x21 CPU multiplier.

My current OC profile is this:
CPU freq: 177BCLK x 21 = 3717MHz, HT enabled
Vcore: 1.216V
QPI/CPU VTT: 1.225V
Memory: 177BCLK x 8 = 1416MHz, not fiddled with any timings as I know jack shit about it. Default multiplier for my ram would be 133BCLK x 10 = 1333MHz
Memory voltages untouched (1.5V default), otherwise disabled all power saving features and CPU turbo boost. Load-line calibration is enabled.

CPU temp of around 60C when gaming, so I have a lot of headroom here.

However, I want to get to 4.0GHz+, and browsing old forum posts make it seem like this is very doable. A 200BCLK in itself seems stable with a CPU VTT voltage of 1.31V, however when tweaking with the CPU multiplier to either x19 (3800MHz) or x20 (4000MHz) my computers readily craps out after a few minutes of Prime95. This is with a Vcore of 1.31V.

My question is basically, considering this system is rather old, is it worth pushing 1.35-1.40V on both VTT CPU and Vcore in order to reach a stable 4.0GHz? Or should I be happy with the current OC I am running, which is pretty good considering I've barely increased any voltage at all yet gained 900MHz?

Another thing; if I do manage to stabilize 200BCLKx20 or 191BCLKx21 to get 4GHz, how do I go about my RAM speeds? The "safest", or closest speed to stock (1333MHZ) in this case would be the x6 multiplier, which gives me 1200MHz. The next possible step is x8 which yields 1600MHz, not too sure how that would go, and I'd rather play it safe on the memory side considering its speed doesn't affect gaming performance that much. How does timings tie in with this? Is there any way I can obtain stock 1333MHz speed without lowering the BCLK?
1 answer Last reply
More about negatively higher cpu vtt vcore voltages affect mobo cpu lifespan
  1. Small update; I tried 200BCLK x 20 with 1.35Vcore, ran Prime95 and everything seemed to go well, CPU at 80C.

Then I detected the distinct smell of something burnt, immediately proceed to shut everything down and let it cool for 10 minutes. Writing from the same computer now, just happy it's working, I think that'll mark the end of my recent overclocking adventures for now :D
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking CPUs Memory