Solved

Can't create a system repair disk

Hi,

I just tried to create a system repair disk via the control panel and was told that it can't do it because files are missing. Has anyone else experienced this? And, any suggestions?

Thanks
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about create system repair disk
  1. that is different

    see if this can fix it:
    right click start button
    choose command prompt (admin)
    type SFC /scannow and press enter
    once SFC is complete, copy/paste the below command into window (needs to be exact)
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and press enter

    SFC cleans and fixes system files, DISM cleans and fixes Image files which is likely the source of the files System repair uses. If SFC had problems it couldn't fix, rerun it after DISM and restart PC and try making disk again
  2. I tried, but this didn't seem to work. It didn't find any problems.

    Thanks...

    Colif said:
    that is different

    see if this can fix it:
    right click start button
    choose command prompt (admin)
    type SFC /scannow and press enter
    once SFC is complete, copy/paste the below command into window (needs to be exact)
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and press enter

    SFC cleans and fixes system files, DISM cleans and fixes Image files which is likely the source of the files System repair uses. If SFC had problems it couldn't fix, rerun it after DISM and restart PC and try making disk again
  3. OK, other fixes i found were use another USB drive

    or make a win 10 installer and use it instead: , download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
  4. I have one of those (created for my laptop), but the recovery drive for the PC would have its system files on it.

    I was on the phone with NCIX, who build the system. They couldn't figure it out. They are suggesting that it might be due to a Windows update (the PC is only about two weeks old!) which might have caused corruption of the recovery drive. I'm skeptical, but they could be right.


    Colif said:
    OK, other fixes i found were use another USB drive

    or make a win 10 installer and use it instead: , download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
  5. that is why i got you to run DISM, it fixes the image that is stored on the recovery drive

    why did you want a recovery drive? Are you trying to fix something or just as a precaution?

    what version of win 10 are you on?
    right click start button
    choose run...
    type winver and press enter

    what version/build numbers do you have?
  6. I did run DISM, so it is probably not that the recovery drive is corrupted, as they suggested (but they were out of ideas).

    I wanted to create a system repair disk, just in case. I don't have any problems, but my last PC died and I would like to have the tools ready in case a problem comes up.

    winver - Version 1607/ OS build 14393.693


    Colif said:
    that is why i got you to run DISM, it fixes the image that is stored on the recovery drive

    why did you want a recovery drive? Are you trying to fix something or just as a precaution?

    what version of win 10 are you on?
    right click start button
    choose run...
    type winver and press enter

    what version/build numbers do you have?
  7. Best answer
    The installer has the same tools on it I believe. I would just download it and save it for when/if you need it.
Ask a new question

Read More

windows 10 System repair disk