Intel 7000 Series (Kaby Lake) MegaThread! FAQ & Resources

Welcome Community, to the Official Intel 7000 Series (Kaby Lake) MegaThread!

This thread serves as the primary discussion thread for ALL Kaby Lake information and resources. It contains a list of the latest Kaby Lake reviews and a list of all compatible motherboards! While discussing, please remember to stay within the guidelines set by Tom's Hardware and above all, DO NOT start a flame war.

***********************************************************************************************
What Is Kaby Lake?

Kaby Lake is the 2nd Optimization of the Skylake architecture when debuted in 2015. Just like Skylake, Kaby Lake is built on the 14nm process, but has been refined and optimized even more by improving the transistor fins and gate pitch. Intel calls this their 14nm+ process. This allows Kaby Lake processors to run at up to 400mhz faster clock speeds than their Skylake brethren.

Intel has also introduced new 200 series chipset motherboards with a few extra features over older 100 series motherboards, including support for Optane and support for native 4k streaming. Connectivity has also gone up, the Z270 chipset now has a maximum total of 24 PCI-E 3.0 lanes and 30 HSIO inputs vs Z170's 20 PCI-E 3.0 lanes and 26 HSIO inputs.
***********************************************************************************************

Intel Core i7-7700K

Flagship of the Kaby Lake lineup, and has the highest stock frequency of any Intel chip.

Cores/Threads = 4/8
Operating Frequency = 4.2Ghz (4.5Ghz Turbo)
L2 Cache = 4x 256KB
L3 Cache = 8MB
TDP = 91W
IGPU = HD 630 Graphics

Reviews:

AnandTech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10968/the-intel-core-i7-7700k-91w-review-the-new-stock-performance-champion
Tom's Hardware (OC Review) http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-kaby-lake-core-i7-7700k-overclocking-performance-review,4836.html
Tom's Hardware (Main Review) http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-kaby-lake-core-i7-7700k-i7-7700-i5-7600k-i5-7600,4870.html
PC Perspective: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Review-Kaby-Lake-and-14nm/
Legit Reviews: http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-core-i7-7700k-processor-review_189491
Extreme Tech: https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/241950-intels-core-i7-7700k-reviewed-kaby-lake-debuts-desktop
Hexus: http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/99820-intel-core-i7-7700k-14nm-kaby-lake/

Core i5-7600K

Cores/Threads = 4/4
Operating Frequency = 3.8Ghz (4.2Ghz Turbo)
L2 Cache = 4x 256KB
L3 Cache = 6MB
TDP = 91W
IGPU = HD 630 Graphics

Reviews:

AnandTech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10969/the-intel-core-i57600k-91w-review-the-more-amenable-mainstream-performer
Tom's Hardware: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-kaby-lake-core-i7-7700k-i7-7700-i5-7600k-i5-7600,4870.html
Guru 3D: http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/core-i5-7600k-processor-review-desktop-kaby-lake,1.html
EuroGamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-intel-core-i5-7600k-review

Core i3-7350K

Worlds first i3 with an unlocked multiplier. Reports say that this chip can easily reach the 5Ghz range.

Cores/Threads = 2/4
Operating Frequency = 4.2Ghz
L2 Cache = 2x 256KB
L3 Cache = 4MB
TDP = 60W
IGPU = HD 630 Graphics

Reviews:

Wccftech: http://wccftech.com/intel-core-i3-7350k-cpu-review/
bit-tech: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2017/01/09/intel-core-i3-7350k-review/1
Legit Reviews: http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-core-i3-7350k-processor-review_190299

Pentium G4560

Worlds first Pentium with HyperThreading. Can compete directly with Core i3-6100 and i5-2500K.

Cores/Threads = 2/4
Operating Frequency = 3.5Ghz
L3 Cache = 3MB
TDP = 54W
IGPU = HD 610 Graphics

Reviews:

wccftech: http://wccftech.com/intel-pentium-g4560-ultimate-budget-cpu-65-usd/

Motherboards:

Z270:

H270:

B250:
Reply to TechyInAZ
75 answers Last reply
More about intel 7000 series kaby lake megathread faq resources
  1. Is it sad that the most interesting chip, is that Pentium?
    Reply to logainofhades
  2. logainofhades said:
    Is it sad that the most interesting chip, is that Pentium?

I'd say both the I3 and the Pentium are the most interesting. But I don't think so as Kaby Lake is basically like the Haswell Refresh.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  3. The i3's price tag is a big turn off.
    Reply to logainofhades
  4. I think this is the most uneventful launch in a long time(from Intel). I'm not sure if this is to appease OEM's that want regular refreshes or just a way to release SKU's that will help them fend off AMD's upcoming line. AMD has a habit of making all their SKU's OC'able so adding an unlocked i3 and making the Pentium 2c/4t is a logical choice.

I'm willing to bet that prices will drop a bit when AMD releases Ryzen.
    Reply to Martell1977
  5. In all fairness to Intel, they need to sell their products on improved nodes slapping "new" to them even if the actual design is basically the same. Those factories burn a lot of greens, I'd imagine!

Now, I do agree lackluster falls short of a word to describe this. And no, the Pentium is a bad product in this lineup. They switched yet another good niche product of the in-the-know people so they get the more expensive option. I have friends that made some switches and NAS machines using Pentiums that are royally screwed now since they'll have to get the i3s instead. It reminds me of the good old Celeron 300A days and their "modifications" to the next iterations.

Cheers!
    Reply to Yuka
  6. I have been told, by Asus, that the Strix Z270i will be out in February. No firm date, though.
    Reply to logainofhades
  7. H270 chart is now published. B250 (and H210? maybe?) motherboards coming soon.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  8. Does not appear there will be an H210.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-200-series-chipsets,33305.html

Quote:
    Intel opted not to create an H210 SKU, as low-end Skylake chipsets are already filling the market space that H210 would otherwise occupy.
    Reply to logainofhades
  9. Ah ok that makes sense. Now that I think about it, there was never an H91 chipset for Haswell either.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  10. http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-delays-skylake-x-and-kaby-lake-x-release-to-august.html

An interesting development, RE: Skylake X and Kaby Lake X release dates.
    Reply to manleysteele
  11. Based on that article, Kaby Lake X seems kinda pointless.
    Reply to logainofhades
  12. logainofhades said:
    Based on that article, Kaby Lake X seems kinda pointless.

Kaby Lake itself seems kind of pointless. I really think Intel only released it to have a "new" product out when AMD releases Ryzen. There really is nothing brought with Kaby to make it a necessary release.
    Reply to Martell1977
  13. I would disagree. The new hyperthread pentiums are a budget builder's dream.
    Reply to logainofhades
  14. logainofhades said:
    Based on that article, Kaby Lake X seems kinda pointless.

Pricing will be interesting. Intel has, for a long time, acted as if they were just giving us the iGP on the mainstream chips. $349 to $389 for a high end 4c/8t processor versus $1100 for an 8c/16t processor doesn't add up. In any case, going to the expense of a X-series motherboard for 4 channel memory and little else doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy. I can't help but think Intel has something up their sleeves concerning Kaby Lake X. I have no idea what it would be, though. The leaked Intel slides give no indication of anything interesting other than the possible return of iGP e-dram on the package. While interesting, I'm not sure how much I am willing to pay for the "feature." I suppose, like all the other non-announcements, we'll have to wait and see.
    Reply to manleysteele
  15. logainofhades said:
    I would disagree. The new hyperthread pentiums are a budget builder's dream.

They could have done that as a refresh (like Devils Canyon), there was no need for a "new" line or chipset, that I can see.

When they brought DDR4, a new chipset made sense. If they had added PCIE 4 or something significant, I could see the point. But this just seems like a cash grab and a setup for things they have coming in other chipsets.
    Reply to Martell1977
  16. The Z270 chipset has more PCI-E lanes, than Z170 does.
    Reply to logainofhades
  17. logainofhades said:
    The Z270 chipset has more PCI-E lanes, than Z170 does.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/2707-intel-z270-vs-h270-chipset-differences-specs

The biggest difference seems to be in the number of HSIO lanes in the H270 chipset. Even so, does this mostly minor change justify an entire product line? Intel obviously believes so...I'm just not convinced. I know it will be useful for some, but it just feels more like a stop gap measure rather than a launch. The extra lanes almost feels like Intel felt they had to change something and that was it.
    Reply to Martell1977
  18. The extra PCI-E lanes allow for boards to have more than a single M.2 connection, so there is that. You no longer have to look @X99, for such a feature.
    Reply to logainofhades
  19. logainofhades said:
    The extra PCI-E lanes allow for boards to have more than a single M.2 connection, so there is that. You no longer have to look @X99, for such a feature.

That would be nice. PC Perspective covered Gigabyte's overclocking specific Z170 motherboard with three M.2 slots, they said that with all three m.2 slots populated (they even did 3 way RAID 0) none of the sata ports would work.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  20. TechyInAZ said:
    logainofhades said:
    The extra PCI-E lanes allow for boards to have more than a single M.2 connection, so there is that. You no longer have to look @X99, for such a feature.

That would be nice. PC Perspective covered Gigabyte's overclocking specific Z170 motherboard with three M.2 slots, they said that with all three m.2 slots populated (they even did 3 way RAID 0) none of the sata ports would work.

This is the "feature" of Intel chipsets that get on my last nerve. I don't understand it. To be honest, I resent having to pay an extra $50-$100 for one or two PEX8747's just to run all of the storage options without disabling slots. At least one can find boards that have them, but a premium chipset shouldn't need them.
    Reply to manleysteele
  21. manleysteele said:
    This is the "feature" of Intel chipsets that get on my last nerve. I don't understand it. To be honest, I resent having to pay an extra $50-$100 for one or two PEX8747's just to run all of the storage options without disabling slots. At least one can find boards that have them, but a premium chipset shouldn't need them.

Counter-point: the Z chipsets are just high mid tier. The "good stuff" from Intel is the X chipsets. That can be considered premium and/or high tier.

Plus, they do that to segment the market. They make you jump onto the X platform if you have a slightly higher need than what the Z/H platforms offer.

Not justifying, but that is the nature of the (big) beast.

Cheers!
    Reply to Yuka
  22. TechyInAZ said:
    logainofhades said:

Were they using NVME, or sata specced drives though? I think that makes a difference on whether SATA ports become disabled, on some boards.
    Reply to logainofhades
  23. Yuka said:
    manleysteele said:

Counter-point: the Z chipsets are just high mid tier. The "good stuff" from Intel is the X chipsets. That can be considered premium and/or high tier.

Plus, they do that to segment the market. They make you jump onto the X platform if you have a slightly higher need than what the Z/H platforms offer.

Cheers!

I have 8 SSD's in my system now, plus my spinning drives. I had to pay $100 for an add in card to run them all. I'm waiting for the Asus Z-290 WS to become available in order to move my installation over to a modern board. Even with that board, I'll have to be careful with slot assignments in order to run the drives I already own. If I want more, I'm probably going to need to wait for a $500 dollar X-290 WS. It's disgusting, but as you say, that's the nature of the beast.

I was gooning around Benchlife and it looks like Kaby Lake-X may only support dual channel memory, so there is another rumor/leak that makes me wonder what in the world Intel is thinking.
    Reply to manleysteele
  24. logainofhades said:
    TechyInAZ said:
    logainofhades said:

Were they using NVME, or sata specced drives though? I think that makes a difference on whether SATA ports become disabled, on some boards.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage/Triple-M2-Samsung-950-Pro-Z170-PCIe-NVMe-RAID-Tested-Why-So-Snappy

M.2 only. When all three m.2 slots were populated, all SATA slots were disabled.

Oh I see what you mean, they were NVME PCIE M.2 SSDs.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  25. manleysteele said:
    Yuka said:
    manleysteele said:

Cheers!

I have 8 SSD's in my system now, plus my spinning drives. I had to pay $100 for an add in card to run them all. I'm waiting for the Asus Z-290 WS to become available in order to move my installation over to a modern board. Even with that board, I'll have to be careful with slot assignments in order to run the drives I already own. If I want more, I'm probably going to need to wait for a $500 dollar X-290 WS. It's disgusting, but as you say, that's the nature of the beast.

I was gooning around Benchlife and it looks like Kaby Lake-X may only support dual channel memory, so there is another rumor/leak that makes me wonder what in the world Intel is thinking.

I doubt an X series chipset will ever go dual channel. Intel isn't that bad.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  26. Update: B250 motherboard lineup is done!

I find it odd that some of the PRIME Asus B250 motherboards are red. Like a gaming lineup. Weird.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  27. TechyInAZ said:
    Update: B250 motherboard lineup is done!

I find it odd that some of the PRIME Asus B250 motherboards are red. Like a gaming lineup. Weird.

Well, for a basic gaming rig, I think they are quite fine. Like an HTPC kind of small gaming package.

Cheers!
    Reply to Yuka
  28. For the non overclocker, that is not interested in Raid, B250 is plenty.
    Reply to logainofhades
  29. Hi guys im upgrading my setup with a new gigabyte z270 gaming k3 mobo and got a i5 kabylake to go with it, i heard windows 7 wont work, my previous build hdd is windows 7, will it boot? Or will it not even boot? Or will it boot and tell me to upgrade? What exactly happens
    Reply to goldap1
  30. goldap1 said:
    Hi guys im upgrading my setup with a new gigabyte z270 gaming k3 mobo and got a i5 kabylake to go with it, i heard windows 7 wont work, my previous build hdd is windows 7, will it boot? Or will it not even boot? Or will it boot and tell me to upgrade? What exactly happens

Were not sure honestly. Jay did a video on YouTube which demoed that Windows 8 can work, it's just not supported. He did experience glitching aswell.

So I'm assuming it will work, but you'll probably get glitches. So definitely move to windows 10 ASAP.

Reply to TechyInAZ
  31. ^I mean who really wants Windows 8 over 10?

And 7 needs to die anyways.
    Reply to jimmysmitty
  32. jimmysmitty said:
    ^I mean who really wants Windows 8 over 10?

And 7 needs to die anyways.

Unfortunately I have to agree. Windows 7 was great, but we all gota move on.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  33. Just out of curiosity here... What does Win10 do so well that you guys think it's a worthy replacement for Win7? I'll even extend that to WinXP.

I know Kaby Lake """" needs """" Win10 for some shenanigans, but that sounds more like BS than actual requirement from the development perspective. There are little circumstances where they are "technical" limitations as to "management decisions". It was like DX9 and XP and now Win10 and DX12.

So, please, illustrate it for me, because I really don't see a point. Personally, I moved out of XP because the driver support for my 4890 was put in legacy and the 7970 didn't have XP support. I still have my Gentoo installation from university going strong in one of my old house notebooks with up to day browsers and all. Still using kernel 2.6 though.

Cheers!
    Reply to Yuka
  34. Yuka said:
    Just out of curiosity here... What does Win10 do so well that you guys think it's a worthy replacement for Win7? I'll even extend that to WinXP.

I know Kaby Lake """" needs """" Win10 for some shenanigans, but that sounds more like BS than actual requirement from the development perspective. There are little circumstances where they are "technical" limitations as to "management decisions". It was like DX9 and XP and now Win10 and DX12.

So, please, illustrate it for me, because I really don't see a point. Personally, I moved out of XP because the driver support for my 4890 was put in legacy and the 7970 didn't have XP support. I still have my Gentoo installation from university going strong in one of my old house notebooks with up to day browsers and all. Still using kernel 2.6 though.

Cheers!

Security. It is easily provable that every new OS is vastly more secure than a current up to date patched OS. When 7 came out it was more secure than XP SP3.

Beyond that it is the enhancements that can utilize the new features.

Lets look at it this way. WDDM is a massive part of the driver framework in Windows for graphics. They have tried, from what I remember, to update older OSes to the newer versions but it normally has a ton of issues as that is like re-writing a pretty big part of the OS so that normally never gets updated to older OSes.

Windows 10 Anniversary update has support for WDDM 2.1 which has support for SM 6.0, RTM 10 only has WDDM 2.0 which does not support SM 6.0.

Beyond that, from an IT perspective it is about support. The more OSes you have in circulation, the more support you have to have. We have 7, 8.1 and 10 right now and will probably be phasing 7 out. I would love to not have 8.1 but one of our site is still on a very old program that wont work on 10.

it is also cheaper as once an OS becomes "Extended Support" they also stop producing new licenses for it and most companies have to go to what is called VLK (Volume Licensing) which is just absurdly expensive compared to OEM licensing.
    Reply to jimmysmitty
  35. I have a counter for all your points, but I'm too lazy to start an argument war around Win10 in an Intel thread. I will just close this by saying there is no such thing as a "secure OS". Oh, and there's a theory about aging software: "software entropy". It's an interesting topic, you guys could read a bit about that in case you aren't familiar with the concept.

Also, ironically enough, wasn't Win10 the OS that had a security issue recently that mandated something akin to an emergency patch or something? I didn't read if it extended to Win7, though.

Cheers!
    Reply to Yuka
  36. They didn't say Windows 10 was secure, they said "vastly more secure", which is accurate, its the nature of learning from previous mistakes.

Windows 10 is kind of the love child between 7 and 8.1 as far as the interface, but there really is no appreciable advantage in 7 over 10. As noted, 10 has better compatibility for the latest tech, including Kaby Lake CPU's and like the upcoming Ryzen.

At this point, unless you have a piece of software that you can't (or refuse to) replace/upgrade, there just is no downside to Windows 10, especially with programs like Start10 for the people that don't like the start menu's appearance.

Considering it was and technically still is a free upgrade, it's worth the price. But for people looking to purchase it for an older computer as an upgrade from 7, there isn't much incentive. I loved Windows 7 and still think it's the cleanest OS MS has made yet, but you can only live in the past so long before it becomes an issue.
    Reply to Martell1977
  37. Yuka said:
    I have a counter for all your points, but I'm too lazy to start an argument war around Win10 in an Intel thread. I will just close this by saying there is no such thing as a "secure OS". Oh, and there's a theory about aging software: "software entropy". It's an interesting topic, you guys could read a bit about that in case you aren't familiar with the concept.

Also, ironically enough, wasn't Win10 the OS that had a security issue recently that mandated something akin to an emergency patch or something? I didn't read if it extended to Win7, though.

Cheers!

As Maartell said, more secure /= secure. Just that it is more secure.

That said I would love to see you counter my WDDM point and SM 6.0. I am sure you could try using Vulkan which will work on 7 but the majority of games still use DX.

That said, another advantage is that newer OSes are typically built around the newer hardware. Native support for features, such as 8 and up having USB 3.0 drivers in native and support for newer interfaces out of the box.

I loved XP, although I now see it looked pretty bad from a UI standpoint.

I still like 7 but it is in Extended support and will be killed off in a few years. I don't see Microsoft investing heavily in an older OS. They can't keep supporting all the OSes.
    Reply to jimmysmitty
  38. I hate to break the fun, but I'm going to have to step in and stop this discussion about windows. This is an official megathread, so it is held to even tighter standards about both flame wars and derailing.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  39. http://wccftech.com/intel-core-i7-7740k-core-i5-7640k-amd-ryzen/

Huh, I guess this is legit (techpowerup is also saying similar stuff to what wccftech is). So Kaby Lake X will have "super clocked" core i7s and hyperthreaded core i5s on QUAD channel memory controllers.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  40. I think Intel has lost their minds, in fear of Ryzen. Hyperthreaded pentiums, overpriced i3's, and now this?
    Reply to logainofhades
  41. TechyInAZ said:
    http://wccftech.com/intel-core-i7-7740k-core-i5-7640k-amd-ryzen/

Huh, I guess this is legit (techpowerup is also saying similar stuff to what wccftech is). So Kaby Lake X will have "super clocked" core i7s and hyperthreaded core i5s on QUAD channel memory controllers.

The thing is, they aren't mainstream CPU's, they are on the 2066 socket. If this is a response to Ryzen, it gives the impression that Intel got a glimpse of Ryzen's actual performance numbers and it spooked them. The problem is that high end Ryzen CPU's will use the same motherboards as the low end (unless I missed something), so there wont be a massive added platform cost, unlike the Intel offerings.

It mentions that the new SKU's run hotter so I wonder if OC capability will be hampered by the lower heat window. I know that someone using the 2066 platform with one of these CPU's will likely not have a problem with the cost of a good cooler, but starting hotter would make me think that overclocking will be limited to some extent.

The i5 7640k seems odd, it's base clock is 0.2ghz faster but there doesn't seem to be any boost, so the i5-7600k with a good cooler can boost to 0.2ghz faster and sustain it. I guess that beyond the change to socket 2066 and the features that brings, I miss the point of the CPU. If you are going to invest in the 2066 platform, why get the i5? I guess I can't imagine why someone would spend all the extra money, then cheap out on the CPU.
    Reply to Martell1977
  42. Martell1977 said:
    TechyInAZ said:
    http://wccftech.com/intel-core-i7-7740k-core-i5-7640k-amd-ryzen/

The thing is, they aren't mainstream CPU's, they are on the 2066 socket. If this is a response to Ryzen, it gives the impression that Intel got a glimpse of Ryzen's actual performance numbers and it spooked them. The problem is that high end Ryzen CPU's will use the same motherboards as the low end (unless I missed something), so there wont be a massive added platform cost, unlike the Intel offerings.

It mentions that the new SKU's run hotter so I wonder if OC capability will be hampered by the lower heat window. I know that someone using the 2066 platform with one of these CPU's will likely not have a problem with the cost of a good cooler, but starting hotter would make me think that overclocking will be limited to some extent.

The i5 7640k seems odd, it's base clock is 0.2ghz faster but there doesn't seem to be any boost, so the i5-7600k with a good cooler can boost to 0.2ghz faster and sustain it. I guess that beyond the change to socket 2066 and the features that brings, I miss the point of the CPU. If you are going to invest in the 2066 platform, why get the i5? I guess I can't imagine why someone would spend all the extra money, then cheap out on the CPU.

LOL there putting a mainstream core i5 and i7 on the X series platform? That's dumb in my opinion. Just lower the prices of the hexa and octo core i7s.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  43. Yea, Intel these Intel moves make 0 sense. Hence why I think Ryzen is going to bring some real competition back. Faildozer never got this kind of reaction.
    Reply to logainofhades
  44. In a way it's good that Intel reacts, now we know the performance rumors are true.

I like intel's products, but I don't like their company.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  45. Seems like Intel needs to re-brand if they want to do all these cross platform naming shenanigans.

Celeron : Dual core
    Pentium : Dual core HT
    i3 : Quad
    i5 : Quad HT
    i7 : Hex HT
    i9 : Octo HT
    i9X : 10+ HT
    Reply to Eximo
  46. If Ryzen is successful enough, CannonLake might end up being better than expected. I know I was only expecting at most a 10% performance bump with some efficiency boost. But now, as Eximo stated, the i7 might be a mainstream 6+ core CPU.

I was hoping AMD would get Intel out of complacency.
    Reply to Martell1977
  47. Martell1977 said:
    If Ryzen is successful enough, CannonLake might end up being better than expected. I know I was only expecting at most a 10% performance bump with some efficiency boost. But now, as Eximo stated, the i7 might be a mainstream 6+ core CPU.

I was hoping AMD would get Intel out of complacency.

We all knew intel would go for hexa core i7s in the mainstream eventually. It was inevitable.

I'm very sure cannonlake is going to be a very good part, there is no way Intel is gona sit while Ryzen steals away sales.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  48. waiting out kaby, will see what coffee/cannon have.
    Reply to detroitwillfall
  49. Coffee Lake, what a dumb name LOL. First time I heard that I was thinking, seriously!??
    Reply to TechyInAZ
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Intel i7 Intel Cache Tom's Hardware Reviews Motherboards Compatibility