Solved

Can't set resolution to 1080p

I just got a new Windows 10 machine with an AMD Radeon 7 240 graphics card. My monitor is a native 1080p but Windows won't let me set it to that resolution. I've tried going to "display adapter properties" under "advanced display settings" and telling it not to hide any options, but the 1080p options this exposes all make things blurry. I've also installed AMD Catalyst, updated the drivers and tried to create a custom setting but Catalyst tells me my monitor doesn't support that resolution.

Help would be appreciated.
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about set resolution 1080p
  1. It sounds like maybe you dont have a 1080p monitor.

What cable are you using? Do you know the monitor make/model?

Also, did you use the disc that came with the graphics card to install drivers?
  2. The monitor is an Acer S230HL. Definitely 1080p, and I ran it at that resolution on my last machine (Windows 7) with no trouble.

The cable is the kind with pins on both ends (not HDMI). I don't know if there's a more specific name if that's what you're looking for, but I could disconnect it and count the pins on each end if that helps.

I didn't use the disc. Catalyst handled the update, and assures me I have the latest drivers now.
  3. Well, the R7-240 should have an HDMI, DVI-D, and an analog output. Are you connected via DVI or VGA? If it's VGA, it might be having problems detecting the optimal monitor settings. If it's the DVI-D connector, I'm not sure what might be happening. It depends on what you mean by 'fuzzy'.

Let us know which connector you're using. You -should- be using the DVI-D (square connector with a bunch of pins on top and a flat blade type on the bottom), not the VGA (trapezoid, blue (most likely) 15 pins in three rows).
  4. From your description it's a VGA cable. But as with the monitor, it's the same cable I was using before and 1080p worked fine then.

I didn't have a video card on the last computer, though, if that matters.
  5. VGA should support 1080p fine. Also, didn't Catalyst get replaced by Crimson Radeon Settings quite a while back, or do you still have to use it for older cards?

Where did you install drivers from? Any way you can try a DVI cable?
  6. It's Crimson, and it fetched the drivers for me. I assume they came from AMD's site. As for the name "Catalyst," I got that from googling for solutions before I posted here and thought Crimson was just the version name. Sorry for the confusion.

As for trying another cable, I dug through a spare parts box and found a cable with an HDMI connection on one end and a DVI on the other. I have no idea why it works when the old cable suddenly doesn't anymore, but when I plugged the monitor back in Windows put me straight into 1080p mode automatically. And the resolution options menu now not only has a 1080p option but marks it as recommended. So, problem solved.

Thanks, guys.
  7. Best answer
    Yup, that's what I figured. The card was querying the monitor and couldn't get it across the analog cable for some reason. That's why I like digital connections like DVI-D and HDMI better. They're much more interchangeable and reliable.
Ask a new question

Read More

Resolution Monitors