AMD Vega MegaThread! FAQ and Resources - page 3

695 answers Last reply
  1. I thought its supposed to be called Vega 10 and Vega 11
    Reply to XBloodyR
  2. XBloodyR said:
    I thought its supposed to be called Vega 10 and Vega 11

those card also exist but AMD probably will not going to release them until may or june time frame. this RX500 is just 'refined" existing RX400 series.
    Reply to renz496
  3. Martell1977 said:

I don't accept much of anything as set in stone until the launch event...especially with AMD. They might change it on a whim, you never know. But, Vega is a good name and we can hope it fares better than the Chevrolet Vega did, lol.

To be sure :)
    Reply to jaymc
  4. What yis make of this...

AMD RX 480 GPU can be upgraded into an RX 580 with a BIOS flash
    https://www.neowin.net/news/amd-rx-480-gpu-can-be-upgraded-into-an-rx-580-with-a-bios-flash
    Reply to jaymc
  5. jaymc said:
    What yis make of this...

https://www.neowin.net/news/amd-rx-480-gpu-can-be-upgraded-into-an-rx-580-with-a-bios-flash

Lets just hope people with reference cards don't try that....could be ugly.
    Reply to Martell1977
  6. I was thinking that it couldn't be that straight forward.. The card would want to have sufficient cooling for a start... an then it may still be a risk.

Here's some more news, a new mobile gpu.

AMD quietly launches entry-level Radeon RX 540 mobile graphics chip:
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-launches-mobile-radeon-rx-540-chip/#ixzz4ekV7AvYv
    Reply to jaymc
  7. jaymc said:
    I was thinking that it couldn't be that straight forward.. The card would want to have sufficient cooling for a start... an then it may still be a risk.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-launches-mobile-radeon-rx-540-chip/#ixzz4ekV7AvYv

Interesting, I've seen no other mention of the RX 550, only the RX 560 that is expected. I have to admit, I'm surprised AMD hasn't released a card based on the full Polaris 10 chip. IIRC, the 460 was cut down. Maybe that will be the RX 560, but never can tell.

AMD took too long to get their GPU's into laptops, I ended up getting a ASUS laptop with a GTX 1060 3gb (which oddly enough isn't cut down like the desktop part, it's just half the memory of the 6gb version.). I was waiting for the RX 470 or 480 but Black Friday came along and I saved $400 on the laptop and AMD's had nothing to offer at the time...
    Reply to Martell1977
  8. Martell1977 said:
    jaymc said:
    I was thinking that it couldn't be that straight forward.. The card would want to have sufficient cooling for a start... an then it may still be a risk.

Interesting, I've seen no other mention of the RX 550, only the RX 560 that is expected. I have to admit, I'm surprised AMD hasn't released a card based on the full Polaris 10 chip. IIRC, the 460 was cut down. Maybe that will be the RX 560, but never can tell.

AMD took too long to get their GPU's into laptops, I ended up getting a ASUS laptop with a GTX 1060 3gb (which oddly enough isn't cut down like the desktop part, it's just half the memory of the 6gb version.). I was waiting for the RX 470 or 480 but Black Friday came along and I saved $400 on the laptop and AMD's had nothing to offer at the time...

with new process node AMD aim to increase their GCN efficiency with Polaris. when AMD demo polaris 11 against GTX950 back in CES 2016 i think AMD intend the full polaris 11 to be sub 75w part. back then they clock the GPU at 800mhz and it shows very good efficiency. AMD even mention they still not done tweaking the chip. but it seems beyond that polaris start losing it's efficiency very fast. remember the talk about polaris cannot clock pass 800mhz? well i think that is conclusion they get mixed with fanboy reaction but the initial rumor probably talk about polaris efficiency issues at high clock speed, not that polaris cannot be clocked very high.

on the lack of AMD GPU on laptop that one maybe you can blame it on past management. the situation AMD in right now stem from the decision Rory Read made when he helm the company before. we know nvidia usually dominated discrete gpu market share on desktop but on laptop the situation is used to be direct opposite. during 5k and 6k era AMD own 60 to 65 percent market share on laptop discrete gpu!! the table turned to nvidia favor in one generation only because of Rory Read decision. now AMD need to gain back the trust with laptop OEM after the damage that being done by Rory.
    Reply to renz496
  9. Hey guy's... I came across something last night in the design specs of the new xbox scorpio... I posted it in AMD Future Chips...

It has a Directx12 Chip between the CPU an the GPU.. This is supposedly Dx12 in a chip.. An it is supposed to take halve the rendering load off the CPU. Have you guy's heard of this before.. What's the story with this. Is Dx12 running in hardware as opposed to software ?

Anyway what is this Dx12 chip on the scorpio an can it be implemented on the PC ?

I have tried googling this to no avail.. so far anyway.
    Reply to jaymc
  10. jaymc said:
    Hey guy's... I came across something last night in the design specs of the new xbox scorpio... I posted it in AMD Future Chips...

It has a Directx12 Chip between the CPU an the GPU.. This is supposedly Dx12 in a chip.. An it is supposed to take halve the rendering load off the CPU. Have you guy's heard of this before.. What's the story with this. Is Dx12 running in hardware as opposed to software ?

Anyway what is this Dx12 chip on the scorpio an can it be implemented on the PC ?

I have tried googling this to no avail.. so far anyway.

If you're talking about the dedicated draw call processor, it's because the ability to process a huge amount of draw calls was DX12's selling feature; stuff like shaders compilation is probably still in-CPU, but HSLS isn't DX12-specific and is currently cached after first use anyway.

What AMD and Microsoft did (AFAIKT) was improve the CPU's instruction decoder so that when a game makes use of DX12, the decoder catches DX12 calls and provides dedicated instructions and/or pipes draw calls directly to the GPU. This, I guess, sidesteps the need to decode the instruction in-CPU then route it to the GPU, instead the instruction decoder sends it to the GPU directly. This can easily save a dozen cycles or more per draw call.
    Reply to mitch074
  11. I found some more info on this "GPU Command Processor" as MS is calling it..

An I have posted the details an links in the AMD Future Chips thread.
    Reply to jaymc
  12. What's going on is Volta Early or what ??

"NVIDIA reportedly set to unveil Volta-based GeForce cards in Q3 2017"

Reportedly being the operative word... Wccft is behind this rumour quoting some chinese site as their source.. can't help wondering if it's just wccft spicing things up a bit... Or is it a GPU shootout... they just dropped the 1080ti are they worried now it's not enough ?

This could be just waffle, Volta isn't due till the end of the year...
    Or could it be that Intel and now Nvidia are moving their product launches forward to put pressure on AMD ?

Either way I wonder if they have sorted out Dx12 in Volta...?
    That's the million dollor question I guess.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-20-volta-graphics-card-q3-2017/
    Reply to jaymc
  13. From other sites I've seen, Volta should be out at the end of the year....for supercomputers. Consumer products are not expected, except in rumors, to be out until 2018. This always happens, trying to steal AMD's Vega thunder.

As for DX12, that would take some modifications, as I understand it, nVidia's current DX12 support is all drivers. They don't have native hardware support like AMD. AMD tends to be very forward thinking.
    Reply to Martell1977
  14. jaymc said:
    What yis make of this...

people do that with 290s as well. but the main point of this refresh is it is based on more refined and mature process. so the new card should be (some of them) a whole lot more stable when running very high clock. so even if they flashed their RX480 into RX580 it doesn't mean now their card can easily run 1500mhz clock stable on 24/7 basis.
    Reply to renz496
  15. Looks like Direct3d is baked into AMD's GPU in Xbox Scorpio.. check it out I posted in AMD Future Chips with links. I taught it was on a seperate chip... but not according to latest article.. If this is baked into AMD's future GPU's could be a game changer.
    Reply to jaymc
  16. jaymc said:
    What's going on is Volta Early or what ??

"NVIDIA reportedly set to unveil Volta-based GeForce cards in Q3 2017"

Reportedly being the operative word... Wccft is behind this rumour quoting some chinese site as their source.. can't help wondering if it's just wccft spicing things up a bit... Or is it a GPU shootout... they just dropped the 1080ti are they worried now it's not enough ?

This could be just waffle, Volta isn't due till the end of the year...
    Or could it be that Intel and now Nvidia are moving their product launches forward to put pressure on AMD ?

Either way I wonder if they have sorted out Dx12 in Volta...?
    That's the million dollor question I guess.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-20-volta-graphics-card-q3-2017/

the rumor doesn't really make sense. they said the reason nvidia pushing volta early is because nvidia are not satisfied with the profit generated by pascal generation. but if you look at nvidia earnings for this past few quarters nvidia revenue keep increasing and each quarter they even beat their own estimation by quite a bit. and yet they said nvidia somehow still did not meet their revenue target? i haven't look too deeply into it but sometimes things like this originated from financial analyst random prediction. for example some of analyst out there believe that Sony will be coming out with PS5 sometime next year to counter MS Scorpio.
    Reply to renz496
  17. That may be true about the PS5.. Sony may have to do something. Scorpio is going to be a demon.

Check it out here:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-3341285/amd-naples-server-cpu-info-rumours.html#19603305
    Reply to jaymc
  18. Martell1977 said:
    From other sites I've seen, Volta should be out at the end of the year....for supercomputers. Consumer products are not expected, except in rumors, to be out until 2018. This always happens, trying to steal AMD's Vega thunder.

As for DX12, that would take some modifications, as I understand it, nVidia's current DX12 support is all drivers. They don't have native hardware support like AMD. AMD tends to be very forward thinking.

DX12 is more complicated than that. right now AMD async compute implementation seems better than nvidia but at the same time when you look at nvidia and AMD architecture, AMD architecture tend to have more "bubbles" in their execution. that's why despite being 8.6Tflops monster Fury X did not significantly out pace 5.6Tflops 980ti. and speaking of native hardware right now AMD still did not have FL12_1 support in their hardware.

AMD tend to be forward thinking but sometimes that forward thinking did not benefit them at all. remember tessellation hardware that exist in pre 5k series? in the end to use tessellation the hardware must be fully compliant with SM 5 making those pre 5k series card cannot use the feature at all despite having the hardware for it. this time AMD have some advantage in DX12/Vulkan because of Mantle influence on those two API.
    Reply to renz496
  19. jaymc said:
    Looks like Direct3d is baked into AMD's GPU in Xbox Scorpio.. check it out I posted in AMD Future Chips with links. I taught it was on a seperate chip... but not according to latest article.. If this is baked into AMD's future GPU's could be a game changer.

could be game changer for future GPU but not current GPU. since this is part of DX12 standard that's mean nvidia might also going to have similar access to the said feature.
    Reply to renz496
  20. jaymc said:
    That may be true about the PS5.. Sony may have to do something. Scorpio is going to be a demon.

Check it out here:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-3341285/amd-naples-server-cpu-info-rumours.html#19603305

Sony might not need to be so hasty to counter MS Scorpio. all that power might end up being useless if MS did not have much exclusive tittle. right now sony have many exclusive tittle be it from first or third party.
    Reply to renz496
  21. looks like AMD developed it with MS though if so.. well if that's the case can't see them licensing it to Nvidia.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking but maybe they may have made a deal with MS on it for the right's already who know's.. They are working very close together an this is baked into one AMD GPU already !

Maybe AMD will partner with MS on this in the future.. Or licence the IP or maybe they developed the tech with them... certainly looks like they did...we shall see I guess.
    Reply to jaymc
  22. jaymc said:
    looks like AMD developed it with MS though if so.. can't see them licensing it to Nvidia. Even if not they may have made a deal with MS on it for the right's already who know's.. They working very close together an this is baked into one AMD GPU already ! Maybe AMD will partner with MS on this in the future.. Or licence the IP or developed the tech with them... we shall see I guess.

since it is part of DX12 itself i don't think AMD can keep it to themselves only. if AMD have such intention then MS will not going to make it into DX12 component. same case what happen to tessellation earlier. AMD have the hardware for it even in their DX10 class of hardware. with DX11 tessellation is part of DirectX itself. but everyone have the access to it not just AMD. nvidia for their part did not have tessellation engine until Fermi generation. and they said it is also one of the reason why fermi being late to the market (other that the yield issue on TSMC 40nm) because it is one of the last thing they include in fermi to be fully compliant with DX11 SM5 spec.
    Reply to renz496
  23. One thing to consider. What are the implications of having this in next gen GPU's? FPS will be a joke for supported API's. Will they be able to sell another Video card? Their are $billions$ of reasons why we don't have this already.
    Reply to goldstone77
  24. renz496 said:
    people do that with 290s as well. but the main point of this refresh is it is based on more refined and mature process. so the new card should be (some of them) a whole lot more stable when running very high clock. so even if they flashed their RX480 into RX580 it doesn't mean now their card can easily run 1500mhz clock stable on 24/7 basis.

I guess the main interest is that it allows the lucky ones to use a signed VBIOS that provides lower idle clock speeds/voltages and slightly higher boost frequencies without having to keep an eye on Wattman profiles.
    Reply to mitch074
  25. jaymc said:
    looks like AMD developed it with MS though if so.. well if that's the case can't see them licensing it to Nvidia.

Unlikely - considering DX12 is essentially Microsoft's latest bout of Not Invented Here syndrome when AMD introduced Mantle (which it intended to open source but instead gave to Khronos to spawn Vulkan), and the way they proceed with all their APIs and technologies (if not open sourced then at least publicly documented), I don't see them making such a deal with MS.

However, DX12 includes several profiles and extensions, and this could just be one of them; since AMD makes both CPU and GPU, tweaking the instruction decoder to fast reroute a few select instructions is rather easy for them (one could consider this a new step in HSA, actually), but Nvidia would need to synchronize with AMD, Intel and now Via (again) to do so on their own cards; considering the company's history, that would be akin to making the whole upper management staff swallow a murder of crow - each.
    Reply to mitch074
  26. When I say developed with I mean the hardware implementation.

It's basically Direct3d 12 baked into the GPU Command Processor.. you guy's are probably right. I guess it is probably wishful thinkin on my behalf.
    You make a good point though an It looks like they may be getting themselves into a similar situation with the VR Wifi. They will be the only other company developing all the other pieces of the puzzle.

I wonder will they do this for Vulken too ?

If this is baked into a Polaris GPU it may be baked into Vega, probably also wishful thinking but we live in hope eh.
    Reply to jaymc
  27. i don't know about Vega but if Polaris have something similar then AMD would have mentioned it. AMD ACE for example that used in AMD Async compute implementation we know that they exist since the very first GCN.
    Reply to renz496
  28. I think that new "unit" is something akin to the Cell design. You have one strong core that is in charge of dispatch and smaller ones to do specific tasks. Well, not the *exact* same, but smells like they are doing an "orchestra" design. I'm not fond of those TBH. They are very short lives and have horrible cross-compatibility.

That being said, you don't need to have changes in the GPU nor CPU components, since it should be "transparent" for them. Or at least, just get a few instructions telling them how to react to issued instructions to other components. But this is just a *really* general view on how it should be. The devil, as usual, is in the details.

Cheers!
    Reply to Yuka
  29. renz496 said:
    i don't know about Vega but if Polaris have something similar then AMD would have mentioned it. AMD ACE for example that used in AMD Async compute implementation we know that they exist since the very first GCN.

I think the Polaris in Scorpio is the first GPU on the market to have this baked in..does anyone know when AMD started work on it.. What I mean to say is would they of had time to implement it in Vega...

Unless of coarse this is part of the recipe for their "secret sauce" :)

It's possible I guess (that it is in Vega).. that's a given..

I can hope against hope that we don't have to wait for ages to see this in a PC... !

Unless of coarse as I say they include it in the secret sauce recipe for vega that is... would we know about it if they just did it an didn't tell everyone how they achieved the numbers they are getting ?

Edit:
    Now that I think about it, I guess technically AMD is already licence'd to use Directx 12 an all it's runtime component's... Does it really matter weather they implement it in software via a driver or in hardware via the GPU Command Processor..
    I would of thought that legally it would be up them how they took advantage of it.
    Unless they have signed some sort of a binding contract that ties their hands on how they use Direct3d 12.. Otherwise I think that it would be up to them entirely, how they implement it in 'their' hardware or software for that matter...
    Reply to jaymc
  30. we have to remember this is custom design made by AMD and MS. this solution is not done by AMD only. it is possible that this new "GPU command processor" end up being xbox exclusive. since MS have their hands on developing this new hardware unit i don't think they will simply going AMD to have it as their own.
    Reply to renz496
  31. Will Vega only be high-end, or will there be low and mid-tier Vega graphics cards?
    Reply to Gon Freecss
  32. Gon Freecss said:
    Will Vega only be high-end, or will there be low and mid-tier Vega graphics cards?

From the limited info we have, it's to be AMD's high end parts. their answer to the 1070 and above.
    Reply to Martell1977
  33. renz496 said:
    we have to remember this is custom design made by AMD and MS. this solution is not done by AMD only. it is possible that this new "GPU command processor" end up being xbox exclusive. since MS have their hands on developing this new hardware unit i don't think they will simply going AMD to have it as their own.

I'm not saying just AMD will have rights to use it Although it is possible if they halped develope it this could happen I wouldn't rule it out..
    They are defo the first anyway. I would presume Nvidia could do similar solution maybe... Unless MS want to sell it seperate to Directx12's ULA.. Otherwise it is covered already in each company's rights to implement Direct3d however they see fit, in hardware or in software..(unless AMD or MS or both own IP on this tech).. Whats the diff both companys are licence'd to use this already..

Also it does seem like the next evolution of the technology.. an they next logical step.. It would be nice if PC users got this.. who's to say it will not be included in the "secret sauce" in Vega (or the next GPU) !! We live in hope...

We Shall See.. in time I guess.

Edit:
    Also if they (again AMD or Nvidia or Both) not aloud legally to add Direct3d 12 to the GPU in hardware they will simply do the very same thing but instead Vulken will be used (an as a result Vulken would become far superior to Directx)... An I can't see Microsoft letting this happen as Vulken would likely become the Standard API being used in games across the board in PC's...

This reason alone should force Microsoft to allow it to happen in Directx first !!

No matter what way I look at it.. this is the next step for sure.. just a question of which API gets in there first with this solution an becomes the standard.

I'd say this will happen in both Directx and Vulken and more than likely in that order as well..
    Reply to jaymc
  34. when it comes to low level vulkan definitely better than DX12 in that regards. we see massive performance boost with doom but it doesn't mean we going to see the same improvement in every other vulkan based games. remember doom is coming from developer that has dedicated decades of their time using OpenGL. if there is anything that can sway game developer from using vulkan it will be the same reason why many developer avoiding OpenGL in the first place.
    Reply to renz496
  35. Martell1977 said:

I don't accept much of anything as set in stone until the launch event...especially with AMD. They might change it on a whim, you never know. But, Vega is a good name and we can hope it fares better than the Chevrolet Vega did, lol.

ROFL!!
    Reply to King_V
  36. The first article you linked is based on the second one. But obviously it hasn't launched ot Tom;s and everyone else would have huge articles about it.

But there are issues on the specs as well. They put GCN 1.3, the RX 480/580 is GCN 4, so Vega is supposedly an older architecture?

However, based on that supposed performance, it would be the Vega 11 and designed to beat the 1070, which they surmise it does by 11%.

Looks like it was an April fools joke.
    Reply to Martell1977
  37. Hopefully your right..

As the number's don't look great.. So I hope it is a hoax or the Vega 11.. The first article say's 20 hours ago.. so pretty recent ?
    Reply to jaymc
  38. The first article is commentary on the TPU page. The TPU page was probably an April 1st thing.

I'm not trying to be negative, just trying to keep things in perspective. I expect Vega to at least be competitive. I'd love AMD to come out swinging with a GPU that crushes the 1080ti, but after getting into the hype in the past, I've learned to not get to wound up. People keep over-hyping AMD's products and end up disappointed when they are comparable instead of crushing. I'll get excited after the benchmarks come out and there is something to celebrate.
    Reply to Martell1977
  39. Martell1977 said:
    The first article is commentary on the TPU page. The TPU page was probably an April 1st thing.

I'm not trying to be negative, just trying to keep things in perspective. I expect Vega to at least be competitive. I'd love AMD to come out swinging with a GPU that crushes the 1080ti, but after getting into the hype in the past, I've learned to not get to wound up. People keep over-hyping AMD's products and end up disappointed when they are comparable instead of crushing. I'll get excited after the benchmarks come out and there is something to celebrate.

it could be. i still remember back in 2012 that TPU make some joke about 7990. they show the card spec on GPU-Z (manually edited by Wiz) and in less than 24 hours various websites picking it up as evidence that 7990 is exist and might as well in reviewers hand.
    Reply to renz496
  40. Martell1977 said:
    But there are issues on the specs as well. They put GCN 1.3, the RX 480/580 is GCN 4, so Vega is supposedly an older architecture?

No, AMD simply never released a versioning scheme for their iterations of Graphics Core Next - they usually refer to it by its code name (Southern Island, etc.).
    Going by the point scheme, Polaris is indeed the fourth revision:
    GCN "1.0": Southern Islands (Pitcairn, Tahiti etc.) - the original.
    GCN "1.1": Sea Islands (Bonaire, Hawaii) - a major revision that introduced the ACE and the Graphics Command Processor, allows Async Compute to be very efficient.
    GCN "1.2": Volcanic Islands (Tonga, Fiji) - better performance with tessellation and texture compression.
    GCN "4": Arctic Islands (Polaris) - process shrink only.
    Vega is actually the 5th generation.
    Reply to mitch074
  41. mitch074 said:
    No, AMD simply never released a versioning scheme for their iterations of Graphics Core Next - they usually refer to it by its code name (Southern Island, etc.).
    Going by the point scheme, Polaris is indeed the fourth revision:
    GCN "1.0": Southern Islands (Pitcairn, Tahiti etc.) - the original.
    GCN "1.1": Sea Islands (Bonaire, Hawaii) - a major revision that introduced the ACE and the Graphics Command Processor, allows Async Compute to be very efficient.
    GCN "1.2": Volcanic Islands (Tonga, Fiji) - better performance with tessellation and texture compression.
    GCN "4": Arctic Islands (Polaris) - process shrink only.
    Vega is actually the 5th generation.

You pretty much proved my point, Vega is not GCN 1.3 as the article indicated. But, Polaris was not just a smaller node, it's a significant architecture revision of Tonga.

Vega should be GCN 5, it will be interesting to see what it brings.
    Reply to Martell1977
  42. A bit off-topic, but interesting none the less!

Today I got the "want to participate in the Steam survey?" question and it crossed my mind to actually take a look and see how things are for both camps.

Surprise, surprise. The trend is not what I expected, like at all. But at the same time, it's not really surprising:

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

Now, this is just Steam and all arguments you want to make saying it's not the whole world might be valid, but it is undeniable that this is a very valid source of information and it is very important as well.

I wonder if Vega will make a dent if things keep going like that.

Cheers!
    Reply to Yuka
  43. DirectX 12 GPUs71.06%72.24%72.48%74.76%0.00% Lots of DirectX 12!
    Reply to goldstone77
  44. Yuka said:
    A bit off-topic, but interesting none the less!

Today I got the "want to participate in the Steam survey?" question and it crossed my mind to actually take a look and see how things are for both camps.

Surprise, surprise. The trend is not what I expected, like at all. But at the same time, it's not really surprising:

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

Now, this is just Steam and all arguments you want to make saying it's not the whole world might be valid, but it is undeniable that this is a very valid source of information and it is very important as well.

I wonder if Vega will make a dent if things keep going like that.

Cheers!

for every 10 cards being sold out there seven of them is nvidia? will be interesting to see the market share for Q1 this year. right now AMD and nvidia are entering new round of stalemate. the last time there is noticeable change in market share was Q2 2016 where AMD gain quite significant share back. polaris was supposed to continue that momentum but it seems nvidia are successful in their effort from letting AMD to gain more market share by launching GTX1060.
    Reply to renz496
  45. goldstone77 said:
    DirectX 12 GPUs71.06%72.24%72.48%74.76%0.00% Lots of DirectX 12!

I don't understand what you quoted nor said. Can you clarify, please?

renz496 said:
    for every 10 cards being sold out there seven of them is nvidia? will be interesting to see the market share for Q1 this year. right now AMD and nvidia are entering new round of stalemate. the last time there is noticeable change in market share was Q2 2016 where AMD gain quite significant share back. polaris was supposed to continue that momentum but it seems nvidia are successful in their effort from letting AMD to gain more market share by launching GTX1060.

There's no stalemate IMO. Cruel reality is AMD really needs a hands-down winner. Being on par with nVidia is not enough it seems (talking about RX480 and Vega next).

Since they can't get into a price war like they did with the HD4K series, they'll have a tough time it seems. Brand perception is giving them a beating like never before.

They won't get a hands-down winner if they keep on pushing GCN or at least alleviate it by making new APIs more predominant. It's such a hard balancing act on where to put the little resources they have, it's scary. Making a better GPU getting rid of GCN like I would like would be the most expensive approach and not even necessarily the best one; pushing for better usage of the new APIs where their GCN uArch is strongest seems like the best path forward, but brand recognition would still be present there; that is to say, nVidia just needs to be on par there (giving you the point with the 1060) to sell a bunch more.

It's really sad, even more because as of late, AMD has been making really good improvements all around their Software ecosystem; not only in the hardware department.

Cheers!
    Reply to Yuka
  46. Thing is, with how DX11 is made, Nvidia is pretty much impossible to beat with its current chips - AMD built Mantle and GCN together to show how much of a dead end DX11 (and OpenGL) were, with wasted resources and bottlenecks all around, and is now pushing GCN and DX12/Vulkan to remove as many of them as they could.

I'm impressed with AMD for managing to change the playground so much (they moved both Microsoft and Intel over to their side with their low-overhad APIs and managed to force Nvidia to leave their comfort zone) and actually manage to provide worthwhile products in an environments where juggernauts with ten times their budget just lug their weight around to win developers over. Managing to duke it out in GameWorks titles and kicking ass on games targeted at their architectures (Doom, DE:MD) is quite an accomplishment when they don't have half the R&D and production capacities their competitors have.
    Reply to mitch074
  47. Yuka said:
    goldstone77 said:
    DirectX 12 GPUs71.06%72.24%72.48%74.76%0.00% Lots of DirectX 12!

I don't understand what you quoted nor said. Can you clarify, please?

renz496 said:

There's no stalemate IMO. Cruel reality is AMD really needs a hands-down winner. Being on par with nVidia is not enough it seems (talking about RX480 and Vega next).

Since they can't get into a price war like they did with the HD4K series, they'll have a tough time it seems. Brand perception is giving them a beating like never before.

They won't get a hands-down winner if they keep on pushing GCN or at least alleviate it by making new APIs more predominant. It's such a hard balancing act on where to put the little resources they have, it's scary. Making a better GPU getting rid of GCN like I would like would be the most expensive approach and not even necessarily the best one; pushing for better usage of the new APIs where their GCN uArch is strongest seems like the best path forward, but brand recognition would still be present there; that is to say, nVidia just needs to be on par there (giving you the point with the 1060) to sell a bunch more.

It's really sad, even more because as of late, AMD has been making really good improvements all around their Software ecosystem; not only in the hardware department.

Cheers!

Sorry that was the percentage of DirectX 12 compatible GPU's on steam over the last few months. Showing it's growing.
    Reply to goldstone77
  48. i mean stalemate in marketshare. before it was 65/35. they were stuck in that position for quote sometime until AMD market share dip down to 28% for the first time at the end of kepler era. then AMD start gaining back the lost share but the momentum stop once AMD reach 30% of market share. now the position is 70/30 for two quarters straight already. some people try to look it into more positive for AMD by saying AMD able to keep that 30% share despite nvidia have the high end for themselves for 6 months. but if you look it from the other angle in two consecutive quarters for every 10 cards being sold 7 of them is nvidia card. not bad as before but still.....look quite bad isn't it? the fact that we see massive deal on RX400 series recently that's most likely to encourage sales. if such pricing really did affect nvidia sales i think we probably would see the same deal on those 1060s. 1060s pricing did not change much probably point to good sales that further price drop is not needed. as much as many people want to see price war happening between nvidia and AMD i don't think that would be very good for AMD when we think about it for the long term.
    Reply to renz496
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Vega Next Generation AMD Graphics