Solved

Installed new motherboard with fresh OS (W10) on a SSD, how do I bring everything from my old hard drive to my current system?

Hi, so I recently upgraded from an older setup to one and had to do a fresh windows install since I had a new motherboard. This leaves me with my old hard drive sitting here collecting dust, but I need to actually combine it into my current system that is just running on an SSD. I have a lot of things that are valuable (old bitcoin wallet, etc) that I would like to keep. I have another external hard drive if I need to use it (my friend told me to turn it into an internal HD and create a RAID array?).

But anyways, can anyone offer any assistance? Thanks!
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about installed motherboard fresh w10 ssd bring hard drive current system
  1. Slijhourd said:
    Hi, so I recently upgraded from an older setup to one and had to do a fresh windows install since I had a new motherboard. This leaves me with my old hard drive sitting here collecting dust, but I need to actually combine it into my current system that is just running on an SSD. I have a lot of things that are valuable (old bitcoin wallet, etc) that I would like to keep. I have another external hard drive if I need to use it (my friend told me to turn it into an internal HD and create a RAID array?).

Just connect it to another SATA port. It will be just another drive letter.
    Files you can copy over.
    Applications will need to be reinstalled.

And disregard what your friend is talking about with the RAID thing.
  2. If it's an internal drive, you can hook it up via the SATA cables to the motherboard and it will show up in "My PC". You can then drag your data across.

Make sure you shut down your PC before you plug it in, though.
  3. Wups said:
    If it's an internal drive, you can hook it up via the SATA cables to the motherboard and it will show up in "My PC". You can then drag your data across.

Make sure you shut down your PC before you plug it in, though.

I realize that I can do that, but I'm currently only running on a 256gb SSD with my OS and a few programs that I needed. If I just plug in my original external hard drive (that currently still has Windows 7 on it), I can just "drag over programs" like my bitcoin wallet? What do you mean?

Thanks!
  4. USAFRet said:
    Slijhourd said:

Just connect it to another SATA port. It will be just another drive letter.
    Files you can copy over.
    Applications will need to be reinstalled.

And disregard what your friend is talking about with the RAID thing.

Hey can you check my reply to the other user who commented and see if you can offer any insight there, thanks again.
  5. Data you can copy over.
    Programs you cannot. Most programs, anyway.
  6. USAFRet said:
    Data you can copy over.

So I need to drag over the files to my SSD (which doesn't have much space on it tbh) and then reformat my hard drive? Or am I bringing all of my files over to my external hard drive?
  7. Slijhourd said:
    USAFRet said:
    Data you can copy over.

So I need to drag over the files to my SSD (which doesn't have much space on it tbh) and then reformat my hard drive? Or am I bringing all of my files over to my external hard drive?

Shut down your computer, hook your old hard drive up to your computer using a SATA cable, boot your machine up and go to Start > Computer and you'll see your old drive in there. Drag your data across. As stated, this will not work on applications - they'll need to be reinstalled.
  8. Best answer
    Slijhourd said:
    USAFRet said:
    Data you can copy over.

Whatever "files" you have on that internal HDD, save over to the external drive.
    Fully wipe the internal HDD.
    Reformat it, give it a drive letter, and use as desired.

You can easily use both the SSD and the internal HDD at the same time. Multiple physical drives is a very common config.
    My main PC has 5 drives. My house server/HTPC has 6.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Hard Drives Motherboards