Solved

I can't decide on what monitor to buy!

So I've been gaming on a 42" tv for about a year now and I built a new PC about 3 months ago and decided it's time for an upgrade. The only problem is, I can't decide on what monitor to buy. I know that I want a 1440p monitor with a 144hz refresh rate. Other than that, I don't really know much about monitors.

I'm running a i7-6700k with a GTX 1070 GPU. My budget is around $700.00, although I would be willing to go a bit higher, but I'd really like to stay under $800.00 if at all possible. I would mostly be using it for gaming. I'm considering the ASUS ROG SWIFT, as it seems to fit all that I need and my price range. However, I've seen some rough reviews for it so I'm a little cautious.

If you guys can recommend anything else I'd really appreciate it!
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about decide monitor buy
  1. very popular monitor under your budget there is also a 27" version 144hz 1ms response time
    $291 for 24"
    $412 for 27"
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2HH7G0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  2. AOC AGON looks quite good.

    Monitor: AOC AG271QX 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor ($449.99 @ Best Buy)
    Total: $449.99
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-27 20:50 EST-0500
  3. What ever you get make sure its a GSync monitor. For your budget you can definitely get one.
  4. rwayne said:
    What ever you get make sure its a GSync monitor. For your budget you can definitely get one.


    I see GSync and FreeSync thrown around a lot. Are they both the same thing? Can you recommend any 27" 1440p 144hz monitors with it?
  5. FreeSync = Made by AMD, for AMD graphics cards.
    G-Sync = By Nvidia, for Nvidia graphics cards.

    They're both adaptive sync technology. Not designed exactly the same, but both are going for the same purpose, trying to make your framerate to be always in sync with your monitor's refresh rate in It's adaptive sync range.

    I find it a bit difficult to recommend expensive monitors since much better ones are going to be announced at CES 2017 soon. Release date however is unknown.
  6. RCFProd said:
    FreeSync = Made by AMD, for AMD graphics cards.
    G-Sync = By Nvidia, for Nvidia graphics cards.

    They're both adaptive sync technology. Not designed exactly the same, but both are going for the same purpose, trying to make your framerate to be always in sync with your monitor's refresh rate in It's adaptive sync range.

    I find it a bit difficult to recommend expensive monitors since much better ones are going to be announced at CES 2017 soon. Release date however is unknown.


    Are there any that you would recommend otherwise?
  7. What about Dell Gaming S2716DG?

    It seems to have everything that I want, along with G-Sync.
  8. Best answer
    I personally think the Dell S2716DG is great and one of the better options within Its price range too.
  9. RCFProd said:
    I personally think the Dell S2716DG is great and one of the better options within Its price range too.


    I decided to go with Dell Gaming S2716DG! It seems to have everything you could want. 1440p, 144hz, 1ms response time, and G-Sync! Now I just hope I don't have any issues with it. Thank you guys!
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Monitors