Broken CPU/Motherboard (probably CPU, mobo seems fine, but still unsure)

Hi,

(Backstory, fine if too long to bother reading)
Recently I upgraded my crap FM2 build, while switching to Intel. Well, kind of upgraded.
I bought an Asus Z170 Pro Gaming motherboard and, temporarily (until I have money for somthing higherer end), an i3-6100. The word 'temporarily' sure means 'temporarily' as I decided to go for a pre-owned one from Cex (otherwise i wouldnt've gone for a Z170 mobo), with the intention of buying the i5/7 brand new, when I have the money. I fell kind of stupid thinking Cex would send me a stock heatsink with the CPU, but oh well. I paid a visit to Maplin and got myself a CM Hyper 212 Evo. I somehow sold my old parts and replaced the sold ones with the new Skylakey ones.

Important stuff

Plugging it in, the LEDs on the motherboard lit up (woah, didn't even know it had LEDs). I turned the system on and the fans started spinning, no problem whatsoever. It was still a no-post though, and when I unplugged everything, the CPU was stone cold. Therefore, I think the motherboard is OK, however, because it's Cex and the CPU came bubblewrapped, with obvious signs of use and mistreatment, the suspision goes on the i3.

Would you guys bother going to the local PC magicians to check if the CPU is faulty, or is it 99% certain that it is faulty and just go straight to Cex to get it replaced?

Thanks, any replies are much appreciated :)
14 answers Last reply
More about broken cpu motherboard cpu mobo fine unsure
  1. So what did you do?? You brought the parts then what? Did you install the CPU etc to see if it would post?
  2. Paul NZ said:
    So what did you do?? You brought the parts then what? Did you install the CPU etc to see if it would post?

Yes, I installed everything into my case and triple-checked everything before powering it on.
  3. Ok and you connected the ATx12v, the cpu fan and the 24 pin from the PSU??

There's a sticker (probably up the top of the mobo) if it's in the case.

Are the last 4 numbers on it 0703 or higher??
  4. Paul NZ said:
    Ok and you connected the ATx12v, the cpu fan and the 24 pin from the PSU??

There's a sticker (probably up the top of the mobo) if it's in the case.

Are the last 4 numbers on it 0703 or higher??

Yes, the numbers are higher than 0703 and every connector that you mentioned is connected.
  5. OK it doesnt need a BIOS update then. Are the connections connected then?

I would get a speaker for the mobo. See what that does when you turn it on.
  6. Paul NZ said:
    OK so its not a BIOS / CPU prob. Are the connections connected then?

I would get a speaker for the mobo. See what that does when you turn it on.

Yes, the connectors are connected. I'll see if I can get my hands on a speaker :)
  7. A speaker depending on how many beeps it gives, will give us a idea of what the prob is

Its a speaker you put on the header not one you plug into the back
  8. So are you saying that the CPU is probably fine?
  9. Soultys said:
    So are you saying that the CPU is probably fine?

Cant say yet. That'll depend on the beeps, when you connect the speaker

What I was meant to say before is if the numbers are above 0703 thats good the BIOS thats on it supports that CPU

If the numbers were under then you would have a prob. You need BIOS 0703 so it supports the 6100
  10. UPDATE

Took the chip to CEX for a refund. Turns out one of the capacitors (or whatever it is, not too sure) was ripped off during delivery, got a refund straight-away.
  11. Sweet !
  12. Yeah, I'm glad that it's very unlikely that it's the motherboard but I've heard of people being able to boot up with a cpu with ripped off capacitors, is that the case with Skylake?
  13. It may boot for so long . Then it'll probably die
  14. Mine didn't boot at all
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Motherboards