The Tom's Hardware F@H Team Thread (Team 40051)

Due to a number of longstanding chronic issues with the previous threads, I present to you all a brand new thread, stickified with some extra strong adhesives, for our illustrious folding team!

For continuity's sake, here is a copy of the OP from the previous thread, with a number of useful links and guides, courtesy of warmon6.

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Guide Community Folding@Home Team 40051 !

The following links in the "Table of Content" leads to a guide on a different thread.

Table of Content:
1. What is Folding@Home?
1.1 What is the goal of F@H?
1.2 How does F@H work?

2. How do I get started?
2.1 Picking a User Name
2.2 Download
2.3 Passkey

3. Client v7 Installation
3.1 Windows Installation
3.2 Linux Quick Install Guide
3.3 OSX Installation

4. Client V7 features and setup
4.1 Slots
4.2 Flags
4.3 Remote Control

5. Sigs
5.1 Tom’s Hardware banner
5.2 Pico Stat Badge
5.3 EOC Stat Badge
5.4 Other Badges and sigs

6. Sites
6.1 Additional guides
6.2 Forums
6.3 News
6.4 Stats

7. About THGC Folding Team.
7.1 Team Rules

8. FAQ

9. Credit

Please come in and join us against the fight of these diseases that affect many people!

You can find the old thread here.
Reply to Titillating
531 answers Last reply
More about tom hardware team thread
  1. 2016 Showdown vs TeAm AnandTech (198)

Welcome to the first annual Tom’s Hardware vs. TeAm AnandTech Folding for Charity event!

It is our pleasure to announce that the Tom’s Hardware and AnandTech Folding@home teams will be going head to head in a 1-week folding race!

What is Folding?
    “Folding” refers to protein folding, a critical and fundamental aspect of biology. Folding@home is a distributed computing program organized by Standford University that allows individuals to contribute to their research, which in turn helps the researchers in combating the illnesses that emerge as a result of proteins not folding correctly. (For more information about Folding@home, please see this page.

Among the more well-known diseases that benefit from this research are Alzheimer’s, Huntington’s, Parkinson’s disease, AIDS, and many cancers. If you’ve ever known anybody who has been afflicted by any of those, then you know how devastating it can be for them and their families. This is your chance to help combat these illnesses and all it takes on your part is leaving the program running while you’re asleep or at work! Every contribution will help in advancing treatments and, hopefully, will eventually lead to cures.

How does this race work?
    The two teams are almost always folding, but the race will officially kick off on December 1st at 1pm Eastern. It will end on December 7th, at 1pm Eastern, and the team that has accumulated the most points within that time frame will be declared the winner!

Who is conducting this race?
    Purch, the parent company behind both Tom’s Hardware and AnandTech, will be putting this event together and sponsoring it. We can’t take all the credit though; none of this would be possible without the continued efforts of our dedicated folding team. Whether you can participate in this event or not, we hope you’ll show your support for everything they’re doing!

What’s at stake?
    There are two things at stake in this race:
    First, of course, are the bragging rights! As two of the largest tech publications on the web, Tom’s Hardware and AnandTech have always had something of a rivalry. This is a chance for the readers and forum community members to come together and settle the score—at least until the next competition.

Also at stake is a donation to charity. Purch will be putting up a modest sum of $2,500, to be donated to charity in the name of the winning team. We’ve chosen Child’s Play as our charity of choice.

Child’s Play is an international charity organization dedicated to improving the lives of children in hospitals and shelters. They use the funds they raise and the physical donations they receive to provide children with video games, toys, books, and other recreational activities. Tom’s Hardware is proud to support their efforts and we hope that our own efforts can bring a little holiday cheer to the children.

Can I participate?
    Of course you can—in fact, we’re counting on it! This event is open to all of Tom’s Hardware’s readers and community members. Whether you can fold for just a few hours or for the full duration of the race (and possibly beyond!), every contribution counts. Remember, you’re not only representing your favorite tech publication in a battle for bragging rights, you’ll be making valuable contributions to research in the battle against cancers and other well-known diseases.

Ready to get started? Take a look at this handy guide, put together by a long-time member of the Tom’s Hardware folding team, warmon6.

If you can’t participate, then consider making a small donation to Child’s Play! It doesn’t have to be much; a simple $1 donation can go a long way, and if enough of us take part, we can easily raise hundreds, maybe even thousands of dollars on top of the donation that Purch has already committed to!

Have more questions?
    Reach out to the folding team! They’re incredibly helpful and they are always happy to teach newcomers. This thread serves as their base of operations, and they would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

- Tom’s Hardware Community Team
    Reply to Titillating
  2. 2nd!

Excited for this! I finally get an excuse to use my beefy 360mm Predator :D
    Reply to ryguybuddy
  3. I'm gonna go ahead and fix up some of the links in that guide post, since it doesn't seem to lead to the individual posts as it should.

MM, can you do me a favor and reach out to warmon6 (or do it yourself, if you've a few minutes) to update the "How do I get started?" section with a brief bit about joining the TH team? I know it's dead simple, but it'd be good to have it in writing for newcomers :)
    Reply to Titillating
  4. I'm in!
    Reply to BadActor
  5. Trying to get my 780ti back into service, for this, unless the wife lets me get a 1060/1070, before that.
    Reply to logainofhades
  6. Titillating said:
    I'm gonna go ahead and fix up some of the links in that guide post, since it doesn't seem to lead to the individual posts as it should.

MM, can you do me a favor and reach out to warmon6 (or do it yourself, if you've a few minutes) to update the "How do I get started?" section with a brief bit about joining the TH team? I know it's dead simple, but it'd be good to have it in writing for newcomers :)

Yeah I PM MM back but just going to mention here as well that I'll be busy with quite a few things till Nov. 11th. So im out of commission till then.

If someone else wants to take ownership or create a new guide, They're more than welcome to. :)
    Reply to warmon6
  7. Is this like the CLEAN thread and we still trash talk in our old one, or how does this work????? :??:

Heading over to the AT site to join and trash their thread now. Anyone who wishes to join me is welcome to come along for the ride.:D

GO TEAM !!! Thanks EVERYONE for what you do.
    Reply to Unolocogringo
  8. mmm, love that new thread smell.

Looks like I have a lot of reading up to do to see what's been happening while I have been gone :D
    Reply to EXT64
  9. Wow, you type in F@H in the search bar and this thread comes up, that's a 1st....
    Reply to beanoslim
  10. Oh, did I miss something? :lol:
    Reply to EXT64
  11. Cleaned up a few posts in this thread. A news announcement should be coming within the week; keep an eye out for it! I've also updated the second post in this thread to answer a few basic questions about the event. Didn't want to create a separate thread and redirect traffic from this shiny new home of yours.

Anyway, we're all very excited and we hope you are too! Get started on your recruiting efforts, fellas. AT is already working hard at it, and you don't want to let them show you up!
    Reply to Titillating
  12. Titillating said:
    Cleaned up a few posts in this thread. A news announcement should be coming within the week; keep an eye out for it! I've also updated the second post in this thread to answer a few basic questions about the event. Didn't want to create a separate thread and redirect traffic from this shiny new home of yours.

Anyway, we're all very excited and we hope you are too! Get started on your recruiting efforts, fellas. AT is already working hard at it, and you don't want to let them show you up!

Thank You. :( I know I was bad :( I'll try to be better.) :evil:

Is MOONING still allowed ????????

On the recruiting part.

All of that equipment in the labs is "Fair Game" According to their "RULES". :D

And maybe contact Asus, MSI Gigabyte etc... and see about a few giveaways for new folders.Mostly Graphics Cards, (Better PPD folding) but anything to draw attention to folding is very much appreciated. If any bite make sure parts are donated to both teams to give away.
    Thanks AGAIN guys!!
    Rick
    Reply to Unolocogringo
  13. Hello, I have not folded in awhile. Since 2011 :(

According to my program I should Avg 750k points a day towards Tom's let me know if there is anything I can do to improve it.

Rig is in sig.
    Reply to cia24
  14. Only thing that would probably make a big difference is switching to Nvidia graphics cards.
    Reply to logainofhades
  15. logainofhades said:
    Only thing that would probably make a big difference is switching to Nvidia graphics cards.

Well that's not going to happen.
    Reply to cia24
  16. Two Fury X's will certainly still help the cause. And help you keep warm this winter. :)
    Reply to Sakkura
  17. Sakkura said:
    Two Fury X's will certainly still help the cause. And help you keep warm this winter. :)

Yes they will. Almost as well as my 780ti classified. Love the card, but it sure is power hungry. :lol:
    Reply to logainofhades
  18. It's live. It's real. Spread the word and get to recruiting! If you guys lose, some mods are going to get a paddlin'.
    Reply to Titillating
  19. Is there a problem with the 1070 video card running this? Im getting what appears to be a common error, OpenCL.dll missing from your computer. It states to reinstall. Done that but no resolve.

Any suggestions?
    Reply to englandr753
  20. How do you enable GPU folding? I can't seem to figure it out.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  21. I'm in. I have about 40 cores worth of hardware sitting around. Plus twin GTX960's in my main rig. :D
    Reply to Rookie_MIB
  22. TechyInAZ said:
    How do you enable GPU folding? I can't seem to figure it out.

If you open up the advanced control panel, click configure -> slots -> add. Then tick the circle for a GPU slot. This is also where you can remove folding slots or change them, eg. to use fewer CPU cores or drop CPU folding entirely.

Since a GPU folding slot will also require some CPU time, it's usually best to reduce the number of CPU cores you fold on. I've heard keeping one core open per folding GPU works well.
    Reply to Sakkura
  23. englandr753 said:
    Is there a problem with the 1070 video card running this? Im getting what appears to be a common error, OpenCL.dll missing from your computer. It states to reinstall. Done that but no resolve.

Any suggestions?

Guess the driver install didn't put OpenCL.dll in the Windows\System32 folder like it's supposed to. A driver reinstall should fix it, or you can manually download the file and put it in System32.
    Reply to Sakkura
  24. Rookie_MIB said:
    I'm in. I have about 40 cores worth of hardware sitting around. Plus twin GTX960's in my main rig. :D

Welcome aboard, it's a pleasure to have your company.
    Reply to Mousemonkey
  25. Well I will throw my 980Ti and 680 in the mix once the fun starts.
    Reply to ahnilated
  26. englandr753: you have to fix that by manually copying the file in. https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=29201

Also, what driver version do you have? The most recent nvidia drivers break folding (nvidia messed something up), so you need to use an older release.
    Reply to EXT64
  27. logainofhades said:
    Sakkura said:
    Two Fury X's will certainly still help the cause. And help you keep warm this winter. :)

Yes they will. Almost as well as my 780ti classified. Love the card, but it sure is power hungry. :lol:

Unless I am reading things wrong the Fury X seems to do more PPD then the 780ti
    Reply to cia24
  28. Sakkura said:
    TechyInAZ said:

If you open up the advanced control panel, click configure -> slots -> add. Then tick the circle for a GPU slot. This is also where you can remove folding slots or change them, eg. to use fewer CPU cores or drop CPU folding entirely.

Since a GPU folding slot will also require some CPU time, it's usually best to reduce the number of CPU cores you fold on. I've heard keeping one core open per folding GPU works well.

Still not working. i get this in the logs:

Quote:
    10001: Server responded: HTTP_MOVED_PERMANENTLY
    01:38:26:ERROR:WU01:FS01:Exception: Could not get an assignment
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  29. TechyInAZ said:
    Sakkura said:
    TechyInAZ said:

Still not working. i get this in the logs:

Quote:
    10001: Server responded: HTTP_MOVED_PERMANENTLY
    01:38:26:ERROR:WU01:FS01:Exception: Could not get an assignment

When you start F@H does it open the web page as well?
    Reply to Mousemonkey
  30. Yes I get the web control panel when I start it up.

Are 10 series cards not supported? If you look at this, it seems nvidia GPUs have almost no contribution save for older Fermi cards: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=osstats2
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  31. TechyInAZ said:
    Yes I get the web control panel when I start it up.

Are 10 series cards not supported? If you look at this, it seems nvidia GPUs have almost no contribution save for older Fermi cards: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=osstats2

And that also doesn't connect? There are several guys running 10 series cards so they are supported but your issues may be driver related.
    Reply to Mousemonkey
  32. Should I revert to the last driver that CUDA supports? Right now I'm running the CUDA 8.0 dev toolkit with the latest nvidia drivers which aren't 100% supported with CUDA from what I've heard.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  33. TechyInAZ said:
    Yes I get the web control panel when I start it up.

I'm running a 1070.
    But you have to run 372 or 373 drivers. the newer 375+ drivers break folding.
    Reply to Unolocogringo
  34. TechyInAZ said:
    Should I revert to the last driver that CUDA supports? Right now I'm running the CUDA 8.0 dev toolkit with the latest nvidia drivers which aren't 100% supported with CUDA from what I've heard.

If I were you I would revert back to the first driver that supports the 1060 and delete/un install any toolkits and or GF Experience stuff if you have not already done so.
    Reply to Mousemonkey
  35. Already uninstalled them, installing old driver.

But I thought you needed the CUDA toolkit to run F@H?
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  36. TechyInAZ said:
    Already uninstalled them, installing old driver.

You do need the CUDA driver. Which is 8000 according to F@H. It will install along with the graphics card driver.
    I install graphics driver, CUDA driver and sound driver from Nvidia. all of the other stuff is optional.
    Reply to Unolocogringo
  37. Just checked Extreme Overclocking stats page. We've doubled our active users already, that's amazing.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=40051
    Reply to BadActor
  38. Wow this is weird. So even after getting on the old drivers, reinstalling FAH, and turrning off all firewalls it still won't work:

Quote:
    16:03:34:WU00:FS00:Download complete
    16:03:34:WU00:FS00:Received Unit: id:00 state:DOWNLOAD error:NO_ERROR project:11920 run:374 clone:0 gen:164 core:0xa7 unit:0x000000d4ab40412957bff6c50e084c89
    16:03:34:WARNING:WU00:FS00:Slot ID 0 no longer exists and there are no other matching slots, dumping
    16:03:34:WU00:FS00:Sending unit results: id:00 state:SEND error:DUMPED project:11920 run:374 clone:0 gen:164 core:0xa7 unit:0x000000d4ab40412957bff6c50e084c89
    16:03:34:WU00:FS00:Connecting to 171.64.65.41:8080
    16:03:34:WU00:FS00:Server responded WORK_ACK (400)
    16:03:34:WU00:FS00:Cleaning up
    16:03:44:WU01:FS01:Connecting to 171.67.108.45:80
    16:03:44:WARNING:WU01:FS01:Failed to get assignment from '171.67.108.45:80': 10001: Server responded: HTTP_MOVED_PERMANENTLY
    16:03:44:WU01:FS01:Connecting to 171.64.65.35:80
    16:03:44:WARNING:WU01:FS01:Failed to get assignment from '171.64.65.35:80': 10001: Server responded: HTTP_MOVED_PERMANENTLY
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  39. Unolocogringo said:
    TechyInAZ said:
    Already uninstalled them, installing old driver.

You do need the CUDA driver. Which is 8000 according to F@H. It will install along with the graphics card driver.
    I install graphics driver, CUDA driver and sound driver from Nvidia. all of the other stuff is optional.

oh ok well no wonder then.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  40. Personally I only install the base driver and the PhysX updates, I don't need or want the sound driver as all my monitors are speakerless.
    Reply to Mousemonkey
  41. So with the toolkit, I just need that right? I don't need to install visual studio?
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  42. TechyInAZ said:
    So with the toolkit, I just need that right? I don't need to install visual studio?

I don't think you even need the toolkit, ATM I'm running driver 361.75 and PhysX 9.15.04.28 and that's it.
    Reply to Mousemonkey
  43. Well then...I'm out of ideas. CPU folding is working perfectly. But I'm still getting that same connection issue with GPU folding. Sigh...
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  44. cia24 said:
    logainofhades said:
    Sakkura said:

Unless I am reading things wrong the Fury X seems to do more PPD then the 780ti

I was talking specifically about the heat output. :D
    Reply to logainofhades
  45. TechyInAZ said:
    Well then...I'm out of ideas. CPU folding is working perfectly. But I'm still getting that same connection issue with GPU folding. Sigh...

Have you tried deleting the GPU slot and then waiting until the CPU has finished it's WU, then deleting the CPU slot, then deleting the config file from the F@H folder, reverting back to a clean install of the first available driver for the 1060, then restarting the F@H client and only reinstalling the GPU slot?
    Reply to Mousemonkey
  46. Mousemonkey said:
    TechyInAZ said:
    Well then...I'm out of ideas. CPU folding is working perfectly. But I'm still getting that same connection issue with GPU folding. Sigh...

Have you tried deleting the GPU slot and then waiting until the CPU has finished it's WU, then deleting the CPU slot, then deleting the config file from the F@H folder, reverting back to a clean install of the first available driver for the 1060, then restarting the F@H client and only reinstalling the GPU slot?

Nope. I did a complete reinstallation of FAH twice now without allowing the CPU to get a WU.

Should I try that?

EDIT: I think I'm going to wait on this. I just don't have the time to do it right now.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  47. Is folding more effective with CPU or GPU? I am curious because I have an old HP Z400 with a W3565 with an old quadro card that I used for my first gaming PC in the closet. Does it make sense to take out of retirement or does folding very heavily favor GPU's like cryptocurrency mining?

Thanks
    Reply to MusenMouse
  48. Both work.
    Newer GPUs are a lot more efficient than CPUs.
    But they both get the job done.
    I run both CPU and GPU.
    Your processor would range 30-50 thousand points per day.
    The Quadro would highly depend on model.
    Reply to Unolocogringo
  49. Unolocogringo said:
    Both work.
    Newer GPUs are a lot more efficient than CPUs.
    But they both get the job done.
    I run both CPU and GPU.
    Your processor would range 30-50 thousand points per day.
    The Quadro would highly depend on model.

Thanks Unolocogringo. I may set it up then for the friendly competition then. Not expecting too much from the Quadro, It came with the Z400 and I had it swapped out with the GTX 950 that I am currently using.
    Reply to MusenMouse
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Distributed Computing Tom's Hardware CPUs Graphics Cards Team