Solved

New PC now freezes and I'm not sure what could be the problem!

Okay so recently I built my pc and i got it running for few months but recently it started to give me whea blue screens almost every time I would play, I checked to make sure to the best of my knowledge over clocking was off and that it was stable and not overheating and the fans were fine but I still ran into it, so I lowered some setting and it would start up normally but I would still get whea but as of recently now it will startup and after a few minutes just freeze, I would be forced to turn it off manually on the bios screen it's still fine but once I'm in windows 10 home screen give it a few minutes and it'll freeze. I'm honestly lost and not sure where this issue could be coming from whether it's my bios setting, hardware issue or something else?
22 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about freezes problem
  1. we have to determine if you are dealing with a software or hardware problem.
    go into safe mode and let it sit for a while, let us know if it still freezes.
    also review the event log for clues
    another way to test is to create a linux live CD and boot from it, see if the PC freezes under linux
  2. Okay I've already went to safe mode and I remained there for a good few minutes and it didn't freeze.
  3. Negimatic said:
    Okay I've already went to safe mode and I remained there for a good few minutes and it didn't freeze.

good, we are dealing with a software issue. could be a driver problem, or a program that starts automatically.
    lets try the easy stuff first. go to task manager -> startup tab. let us know what programs are listed
  4. Okay I got task manager open to the screen it gives me the tabs processes, performance, app history, startup, users, details, services so what am I looking for specifically?
  5. Negimatic said:
    Okay I got task manager open to the screen it gives me the tabs processes, performance, app history, startup, users, details, services so what am I looking for specifically?

click on the startup tab, let me know the programs that are listed
  6. The programs listed under startup are Microsoft OneDrive (5) and Windows Defender notifications.
  7. Negimatic said:
    The programs listed under startup are Microsoft OneDrive (5) and Windows Defender notifications.

are you doing this under safe mode?
  8. No I checked it on regular windows before it froze should I check it under safe mode as well?
  9. Negimatic said:
    No I checked it on regular windows before it froze should I check it under safe mode as well?

regular windows is fine.
    if you are not using onedrive go ahead and disable it. also download malwarebytes from malwarebytes.com and run a scan. let us know if it finds anything
  10. No regular windows is not fine it still freezes but after a few minutes and I disabled onedrive and I ran malwarebytes on safe mode because it kept freezing before it could finish scanning on regular windows and it says 0 next to threats identified should I try again in windows and hope it won't freeze before it's done?
  11. Negimatic said:
    No regular windows is not fine it still freezes but after a few minutes and I disabled onedrive and I ran malwarebytes on safe mode because it kept freezing before it could finish scanning on regular windows and it says 0 next to threats identified should I try again in windows and hope it won't freeze before it's done?

lets try something else. make a note of the exact time the computer froze.
    go to safe mode, open event viewer, expand windows logs (on the lefthand side) and review the system and application logs around the time the computer froze. let us know what you found.
  12. Okay I did that and under applications nothing seemed off but when I went to systems one error that seemed to pop up was the error Distributed Com and Kernal Power error but I believe the kernal power error is only there cause I manually turn off my computer after it freezes.
  13. Negimatic said:
    Okay I did that and under applications nothing seemed off but when I went to systems one error that seemed to pop up was the error Distributed Com and Kernal Power error but I believe the kernal power error is only there cause I manually turn off my computer after it freezes.

Distributed Com is harmelss, kernel power is you turning it off

open command prompt as administrator and run the following command
    sfc /scannow

how old is your hardware?
    what are your hardware specs?
  14. Well I built my pc at the beginning of august and as far as the specs go,

Asus Z170i pro gaming motherboard
    Intel core i5
    Samsung 850 EVO solid state drive
    Seagate barracuda 1TB hard drive
    2 vengeance LPX DDR4
    GEForce GTX 970
    Corsair RM650 power supply
    Corsair H100i v2 liquid CPU cooler
  15. yeah, you got decent specs.
    did you run sfc /scannow ?
  16. Okay I just ran it and it says it didn't find any issues.
  17. hmm, describe the freezing part in more detail. Can you move the mouse when it happens? what happens if you press ctr+alt+del ? is the hard disk light blinking? how long have you waited for it to recover?
  18. It freezes in about a minute once I sign in and when it freezes I can't move the mouse and I've waited for approximately at least 5 minutes before I decided to restart manually and I'll check the light and I'll try ctr+alt+del and see what happens.
  19. Negimatic said:
    It freezes in about a minute once I sign in and when it freezes I can't move the mouse and I've waited for approximately at least 5 minutes before I decided to restart manually and I'll check the light and I'll try ctr+alt+del and see what happens.

cool, give it 20-30 minutes next time, it may be trying to do something and it just needs more time.
  20. Okay so it froze again and I left it for 40 minutes but nothing happen still frozen and while frozen ctr+alt+del doesn't do anything and the hard disk light is off during the time it's frozen.
  21. Best answer
    well i am out of ideas.
    at this point you may want to start thinking about formatting the hard drive and reinstalling windows.
  22. Thank you for everything sorry if i wasted any of your time.:)
Ask a new question