What can I upgrade to without replacing my motherboard?

I am sort of a newbie to building computers, but I bought a desktop back in the spring with hopes of being able to upgrade things as I went along. Now that the new GPU generation is out, I was hoping to upgrade my components and start using a GTX 1070 instead of my GTX 950 for all my gaming.

My upgrade budget is about $950

Currently my system is the following:

Motherboard: MSI H110M Pro-D
CPU: Intel i5-6400
GPU: GTX 950
RAM: 2X4GB DDR4 2133 [Manu: Team]
PSU: HighPower 600W HPG-600BR-F12S
Storage: 1TB 7200RPM Toshiba HDD

I was wanting to do the following upgrades:
CPU: Intel i7-6700K
GPU: GTX 1070
RAM: 2X16GB (G.skill Ripjaw V series)
SSD: 250 GB for windows

I was hoping some of you more experienced people could advise me on the components and overall compatibility of my system to the new components. Is what I suggested feasible? If so is there anything special I need to do before taking out the old components and dropping in the new ones in terms of software like BIOS?

Thanks and looking forward to your responses/suggustions
4 answers Last reply
More about upgrade replacing motherboard
  1. It will work, but...
    1) The i7-6700k is CPU for overclocking, your motherboard can't OC though, a regular 6700(no K) won't have an issue. BUT gaming doesn't benefit much from i7s over i5s. Your problem is your i5 is a slow one, an i5 6600/K would provide the same gaming performance of an i7-6700/K.
    2) You'll have to reinstall windows or shrink the amount of data on your current HDD below 250gbs to transfer it over to the HDD, though having a clean install is prefered (format the HDD ASAP so you don't have conflicting copies of windows installed)
    3) 32Gbs of ram won't help for gaming, more than 8 doesn't usually help, but rarely can, so 16gb isn't a terrible idea.
    4) There aren't really any updates you have to do, but you may want to remove your GPU drivers before installing the new GPU.
    To uninstall your drivers, first download and run Display Driver Uninstaller, and follow it's recommendations of booting into safe mode and ect.
    (This is a direct download link so you don't grab the wrong version)
    http://www.guru3d.com/files-get/display-driver-uninstaller-download,20.html
  2. What are you upgrading for? Really the biggest thing to upgrade is the video card. You will see more improvement in a new video card than anything else.

I'd just get the 1070 card you want, leave everything else as it is and see how the system runs. Do a benchmark test before and after and see what you get.
  3. James Mason said:
    It will work, but...
    1) The i7-6700k is CPU for overclocking, your motherboard can't OC though, a regular 6700(no K) won't have an issue. BUT gaming doesn't benefit much from i7s over i5s. Your problem is your i5 is a slow one, an i5 6600/K would provide the same gaming performance of an i7-6700/K.
    2) You'll have to reinstall windows or shrink the amount of data on your current HDD below 250gbs to transfer it over to the HDD, though having a clean install is prefered (format the HDD ASAP so you don't have conflicting copies of windows installed)
    3) 32Gbs of ram won't help for gaming, more than 8 doesn't usually help, but rarely can, so 16gb isn't a terrible idea.
    4) There aren't really any updates you have to do, but you may want to remove your GPU drivers before installing the new GPU.
    To uninstall your drivers, first download and run Display Driver Uninstaller, and follow it's recommendations of booting into safe mode and ect.
    (This is a direct download link so you don't grab the wrong version)
    http://www.guru3d.com/files-get/display-driver-uninstaller-download,20.html

Thank you very much! for the info!

Anonymous said:
    What are you upgrading for? Really the biggest thing to upgrade is the video card. You will see more improvement in a new video card than anything else.

I'd just get the 1070 card you want, leave everything else as it is and see how the system runs. Do a benchmark test before and after and see what you get.

Mostly for gaming, but I'm also an engineer and wanted a CPU I could run in parallel to speed up simulation times. Not necessary, but just for convenience. Thank you as well for the info, I'll probably start my upgrade with my GPU and go from there.
  4. For engineering the i7 CPU should help. It's very good for processing large data sets. Even in something like large Excel sheets it goes though calculatoins almost as fast as an i5.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Intel i5 RAM CPUs Motherboards SSD Gtx GPUs