Solved

PC performs bad after new MOBO, CPU and RAM - should I reinstall windows?

Hi. I recently upgraded my CPU, RAM and MOBO, i now have:
New Mobo: ASUS Z170-A
New CPU: Intel i7 6700k (with Corsair H110i 280mm water cooler)
New RAM: HyperX savage DDR4 4x4Gb 2666Mhz

(From before: nVidia Geforce GTX 1080 FE, Samsung 850 EVO SSD, Windows 10 pro)

So as you can see this PC should perform exceptionally well. But instead I get considerable lower frames on the games now (e.g 50% FPS decrease in Witcher 3), and the PC seems overall slow and laggy. When I run benchmarks I also get low scores. Userbench confirmes that my PC performs way less than expected, with all components getting bad scores - http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/1872048.
Also on Passmark i get low scores, especially the CPU and SSD.

I have tried everything, believe me, EVERYTHING, but nothing seems to help. I have reset and reinstalled all settings and drivers, updated BIOS, pc- and registry cleanup, virus- and malware scans, even reapplied thermal paste several times.... you name it. So the only thing left is reinstalling windows. Maybe I should have done that from start, but since it booted and seemed good to begin with I didn`t think much about that.

Since all components seem to perform bad I draw the conclusion that it must be something wrong with some general system like the MOBO, BIOS or Windows.

One a side note I should say that after updating to latest BIOS (2202) that`s when I really noticed the performance being bad, but I really didn`t run any benchmarks or such before that so I don`t really know for sure. So I also wonder if a BIOS update can do this? I mean shouldn`t new BIOS be better, like always?

What are you`re thoughts?
Thanks in advance!
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about performs bad mobo cpu ram reinstall windows
  1. Best answer
    So you changed motherboard, CPU and ram and didn't reinstall win 10? Its possible you missed a driver or that a fresh install generally runs better on a new PC.

Not all BIOS updates add improvements, some just exist to add new features to support hardware you don't have.

I would fresh install after backing up everything you can't afford to lose.
  2. I reinstalled and now everything runs perfectly. Damn what a difference from before. Got 99% percentile on Passmark now and 97% percentile on 3DMark11. OCed my CPU to 4,8Ghz and it`s so fast now!
    I probably should have understood from start that when you upgrade cpu, ram and mobo - which is essentially like getting a new computer - you need a fresh install of the OS. Well, atleast I learned quite a bit from this process and it ended happily.
  3. My last PC was 10 years old when I replaced it so the speed difference I got on this one just at stock was enough to not make me need to overclock CPU at all. I still haven't as I like it running cool over fast. When I got my 980 last year I ran all the tests and though I only have an I5 it still got similar scores to yourself and made me feel good about my purchase. I am old enough to know that it wouldn't last forever but its fast enough for me still

Fresh install can make an old PC feel fast so I can imagine its pretty good right now.
  4. Colif said:
    So you changed motherboard, CPU and ram and didn't reinstall win 10? Its possible you missed a driver or that a fresh install generally runs better on a new PC.

Not all BIOS updates add improvements, some just exist to add new features to support hardware you don't have.

I would fresh install after backing up everything you can't afford to lose.

By this do you mean fresh install without keeping any old settings, data or apps? I did a fresh install the other day to see if this would fix the issues and my pc still isn't getting the performance it should.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus windows 10 RAM Intel i7 CPUs