Ultimate Bottlenecking Guide/Discussion Thread! - page 4

216 answers Last reply
  1. I installed MSI Afterburner to check the frame rate and the lower GPU usage on NieR Automata and The Witcher 3 seems to be due to both games being locked at 60fps. The CPU usage the RivaTuner reports stays at 30-40%, rarely jumping towards 60-70%.
    So, without being an expert, I'd say i7 4790K doesn't seem to keep the TITAN Xp back.

EDIT: Found the way to unlock the frame rate on The Witcher 3 and now the game runs at 70-80fps with the GPU usage staying firmly at 99% and the CPU at 50-60%.
    Reply to nevarran
  2. TechyInAZ said:
    Hello community! This guide is dedicated solely to the explanation and details of what electronic bottlenecking is, and which CPUs bottleneck the all new GTX 1000 series GPUs and all new RX 400 series GPUs.

Calling ALL GTX 1080 Ti owners!!

For those of you who have a 1080 Ti, it would mean a lot to me if you guys could give me your estimates on how much you would consider your systems are being bottlenecked by the 1080 TI, if at all. Basically, I consider 90% GPU usage or lower to be a legitimate CPU bottleneck. 90% is pink. 75% is blue, 60% is red. These are all AVERAGE GPU usages.

Unfortunately, I can't just call up Nvidia and tell them to send me a 1080 Ti for me to use. So I need users like you guys to help out.

What is Bottlenecking?

Bottlenecking is where one component is hindering another components performance/efficency.

Truth be told, there is ALWAYS a bottleneck in a computer. Like a CPU being bottlenecked by a GPU -- yeah that’s legit -- but that isn't always a bad thing. When one component is not at 100% utilization, that means it’s being bottlenecked by something whether it’s temps, fans, software utilization etc.

Why Do GPUs Get Bottlenecked by CPUs (When Gaming)?

In a gaming oriented computer, the CPU is the 2nd most important component in your system. The CPU’s job is to send pre-rendered frames to the GPU. The contents of pre-rendered frames are basically anything not related to what the GPU will render. A good example of this is the positioning/location of AI and the positions of your teammates and enemies.

While pre-rendered frames aren’t as hard to render as fully rendered frames, it still takes quite a bit of power from the CPU to render them out --of course this depends on the game engine--. This is why you still need a powerful central processing unit for any kind of modern or advanced game you want to play.

Bottlenecking is Also Affected by Frame Rate:

Supahos, another member here at TH, describes this subject very accurately:
    Supahos said:
    Every CPU is capable of only a certain number of frames in every game. The resolution and settings have very little effect on CPU sided FPS limitations. This is why if you drop graphical settings in simple games your FPS doesn't go up. The CPU was the hold up and the lowered settings don't help your CPU.

As an example, if you are playing League of legends at 720P with a GTX Titan XP, your CPU is holding you back from more frames. (I don't care if you're running a 7700K overclocked at 5.2GHz, it's still the weakest link.) That same system playing Battlefield 1 at 4K ultra settings would make the Titan "bottleneck" the 7700K.

Every GPU has a maximum number of frames it can render at any given setting/resolution. Higher the settings or resolution the less FPS it can possibly render.

Okay so where does the bottleneck come in?

In any given game and setting whichever is lower for maximum possible frames (CPU or GPU) is the fps you'll get roughly.

A GTX 1070 at 1080P in League of Legends will most likely get the same FPS as a GTX Titan XP, since the CPU was the hold up to begin with.

Conversely, a 7600K at 4K max settings paired with a GTX 1070 will have the same FPS as a 6950X paired with a 1070. Because the GPU is the bottleneck in that instance.

Difficulties In Measuring Bottlenecks:

The reason why bottlenecking is so confusing is because it's on a game to game basis and a frame rate basis. Games A, B and C bottleneck, but X,Y and Z don't but if you have a FPS of 200fps or more on those games, the results could be the complete opposite. This is why narrowing down which CPUs bottleneck which GPUs can get extremely difficult.
    ****************************************************************************
    Here are the charts of CPUs that will, and will not, bottleneck the GTX 1080, 1070, 1060 and RX 480/470. (This is just a general estimate, again, your mileage may vary according to the games you play, what graphical settings you play at, and what resolution you use.)

I’ve broken down the type of bottlenecking in 4 colors:

Black = No bottlenecking issues.
    Magenta = CPU bottlenecking GPU only in a worst case scenario.
    Blue = CPU bottlenecking GPU only in more advanced/CPU intensive games (like Crysis 3).
    Red = CPU bottlenecking GPU in all gaming applications.

Disclamer: These charts only apply to the latest games that have come out this year. Assumption is a resolution of 1080P-1440P with a frame rate of 60fps average.
    ****************************************************************************

GTX 1080 Bottlenecking Chart: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17VRKPjyiTBx9Ewc2xkmaMZD2tA3gSOG3rNtH4OEiz3g/edit?usp=sharing

GTX 1070 Bottlenecking Chart: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EQOWVLxk0DOFXKfzCmz9lEZ-qpMb7mIvt8KUYek69A8/edit?usp=sharing

GTX 1060 Bottlenecking Chart: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q7lIYRK5T0ABLvAkgbM_2jJGvbhlep27mR-eRcCy4FA/edit?usp=sharing

GTX 1050 Ti Bottlenecking Chart: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OCSzTslVki32BDSlEneeH3zJrTgD5iHe6IsWgbceHcQ/edit?usp=sharing

RX 480 Bottlenecking Chart: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qSkGtqIXpBBFwidUxl2LlWpIh3CQQGTrfc4WySMe14o/edit?usp=sharing

Maxwell Bottlenecking Chart:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14LcYGkqVqaHUK_qwS_6N9s1vp-TH7AyHzn7OrNittag/edit?usp=sharing

Ok so I just built two new systems - Also have a third I can test on for your 1080ti question. I currently have 2 1080ti founders editions and two asus strix 1080ti oc cards one was for each system, and if it helps for any other tests I have one 770ti msi card here one n650 i think it is,

I can and will gladly test is there a preffered software to test with? I have 3d mark and pc mark , cam as well but I cant seem to get that to do the on screen overlay to see percentages etc.

System number one:
    7700k overclocked 5.0ghz with
    msi titanium gameing 3rd setting from top i think 9 for oc
    64gb of ddr vengence ram for got exact clock i think 36xx
    2x 960 evo 250gb in striped raid
    1x 950gb ssd 512gb for game storage
    nx kracken fan x52 cooler in push pull config
    9 couger fans aand a corsair case the military looking one.
    1000watt p2 evga power supply

System 2: Rebuilding it today again
    6900k Was at a 4.3ghz overclock beforeon a deluxe 2 but now...
    will be on a rampage 5 10th ann edition
    128gb corsair dominator platinum 3000
    1th 960 evo hard drive
    2x 1tb 850 pro ssds in s stripe raid.
    h110i in push pull fan with mag lev fans
    10x mag lev fans.
    1200watt p2 power supply evga

I can run the HB bridge on both setups. I have two new asus strix 1080tyi cards and 2 founders cards stock the founders are in the 7700k right now.

I'm new to pc gameing just always used them for photo editing and now trying to learn how to code for my holo lens lol. But I've been gameing xbox for years and streaming so now frames is super important lol so this benefits us both lol. I know on the 7700k I'm not getting much higher speeds on battlegrounds like 10frames. But I am aware its a cpu intensivee game and does not work with sli. I've tried to get sli to work but doesnt seem to.
    And H1 I get 130 frames with a supposed sli enabled profile.
    Monitor wise I'm running aa 3440x1440 asus pg348 monitor, in overclock 100hz setting.
    Reply to PawnshopEd
  3. Before I post my findings, is there a specific program I need to use to track usage? And do I post avg, or max?
    Reply to Phaaze88
  4. So I have an i5 4690k and I'm about to get a 1080ti not covered in this list however. Am I right in thinking that bottleneck in from the cpu will result in a worse performance than I currently get with a gtx770 or maybe a lesser spec 1000 series? Or does it just means the card will not be running to its full potential? If it is the latter then I can go ahead wigh fhe upgrade looking forward to upgrading cpu and other components in the medium term future. I will be over l
    Clocking the 4690k to 4.5 if possible as soon as I get the 1080ti and then upgrading cpu or to a 4k monitor nearer xmas.
    Reply to Funky_jj
  5. Phaaze88 said:
    Before I post my findings, is there a specific program I need to use to track usage? And do I post avg, or max?

Average GPU usage. Use MSI Afterburner, HWINFO, EVGA Precision, or whatever other monitoring software is good.

Thanks yall for your input, I'm very busy right now. I'll start creating a new bottlenecking spreadsheet here in the next month hopefully.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  6. Read the first page of this article. Upgrading a part will not make a system run worse. Worst case scenario it'll stay the same. Go back and reread what a bottlneck is don't just skip to the end and ask. (Don't read 4 pages just the first post)

If you're going to try to run 144 Hz monitors you'll probably be held back a bit by your CPU, if you buy a 4k Monitor you'll rarely notice you don't have a 7700k.
    Reply to Supahos
  7. Supahos said:
    Read the first page of this article. Upgrading a part will not make a system run worse. Worst case scenario it'll stay the same. Go back and reread what a bottlneck is don't just skip to the end and ask. (Don't read 4 pages just the first post)

If you're going to try to run 144 Hz monitors you'll probably be held back a bit by your CPU, if you buy a 4k Monitor you'll rarely notice you don't have a 7700k.

Yeah i read the whole thing before i asked my question thanks. And the first article didn't answer what i wanted to know.

Apart from the fact you assumed i haven't bother to read your first post in depth which i have, probably presuming i havent reasearched for the answer elsewhere also... so appart from that id like to thank you for your clear answer to my question.

However if i hadn't read the first page how would i know you didn't cover 1080TI in the list? My question was relevant but not answered in your first post.

So just to note maybe if you read and understood my post properly you wouldn't need to comment in a way that presumed i hadn't read your post and to therefore come across in a way that makes you look agitated to answer my post. Just Saying!
    Reply to Funky_jj
  8. Sorry Funky, thanks for bringing it to my attention. I'm really busy ATM, so I forgot your post was there. My bad.

People constantly underrate Haswell CPUs and even skylake CPUs these days. Remember haswell is only 10% less powerful than Kaby Lake, so at 4.5ghz, the 4690K will handle a 1080 TI quite well. Bottleneck? Yes, indeed, but your FPS will still triple compare to your 770.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  9. That is the perfect answer i was looking for XD i understand the 4690k isnt the best pairing for a 1080 but currently not having any gpu as i got refunded for the 770 then i dont see buying less than the best when im going to be looking at upgrading mobo cpu monitor for 4k and vr in the meduim term to longer term future anyway. So as long as buying a 1080ti isnt going to be detrimental to my set up, then having all that cooped up performance ready to be realised when i buy a new monitor cpu mobo ram etc is very exciting and will give me something to look forward to when i do get those upgrades. Its kool everyone gets busy and thanks for your second reply. At least i know now the gpu will allow my build to run to its optimal until i upgrade other parts which is what im wanting. I dont see any point in getting a 1070 for half the price just because i wont see the benefit of a 1080TI right away. That will waste my money in the long run when i do want to be running 4k and VR. This has probably been the most helpful thread in determining whether i should get the TI so thank you and sorry if i also came over a little Spicey im not sure if your reply was to me or not now reading back either way thanks for your response. Enjoy your long weekend if your able to have one :) If you have any other advice or thoughts for my purchase of the Asus 1080ti strix oc running with my system specs of: i5 4690k (not over clocked yet) // 16gb 1600 ram // 1Tb ssd z97p mobo // corsair 750m psu // then it would be much appreciated Thanks again.
    Reply to Funky_jj
  10. Nah your fine. Reminders are good. :)

I'd say your memory is a bit low (speed wise), but don't buy more memory because of it. Just save up for your new system.

Overall looks great!
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  11. Yeh i know if i knew id get this into pc gaming a year or so ago, i wouldnt have saved on my motherboard, i dont think it allows faster than 1600 ram. unless you know something i dont ? its the asus z97p.
    Reply to Funky_jj
  12. would you advise getting more ram if i cant get faster ram? I am into arma 3 after all
    Reply to Funky_jj
  13. All Z series mobos support XMP so your fine.

But nah, it's not worth it. Getting faster memory won't net you insanely high fps gains. Plus if your 1600mhz kit has tight timings, that is really fast anyways.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  14. What should I be looking at? or how do I notice when a component is bottlenecking?

To be honest I havent notice any in my rig
    Reply to djwarcr
  15. How about the rx 580? Should be the same as the rx 480 when it comes to bottlenecking?
    Reply to Mustafa_30
  16. Mustafa_30 said:
    How about the rx 580? Should be the same as the rx 480 when it comes to bottlenecking?

580 is identical to the 480 bottlenecking wise. The performance improvement is too small....

Again sorry guys for the lack of new charts. I'm very very buys ATM (finishing school and building a new business). The latest I can give you your 1080 TI charts is late next month.

djwarcr, just look at your GPU usage. Use the instructions in red in my original post for more info.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  17. nevarran said:
    I installed MSI Afterburner to check the frame rate and the lower GPU usage on NieR Automata and The Witcher 3 seems to be due to both games being locked at 60fps. The CPU usage the RivaTuner reports stays at 30-40%, rarely jumping towards 60-70%.
    So, without being an expert, I'd say i7 4790K doesn't seem to keep the TITAN Xp back.

EDIT: Found the way to unlock the frame rate on The Witcher 3 and now the game runs at 70-80fps with the GPU usage staying firmly at 99% and the CPU at 50-60%.

That's quite good to know, as I'm about to receive a 1080ti Strix OC, but I have an old i5 4670k; now, assuming I'll upgrade to i7 4790k, that should not keep the 1080ti too much back, definitely more than a Titan, but not that much.

I hope, at least! :D
    Reply to Siralextraffo
  18. Hi TechyInAZ
    why the charts dont show I7 second generation?
    I have a 2600k cpu and I m planning to buy a EVGA SC 1060..
    what do you think of that combination?
    Reply to djwarcr
  19. Because I simply cannot find time to do every single CPU on earth.

That's a good combo. You'll get a small amount of bottleneck at stock speeds but overclocked, you should be fine.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  20. TechyInAZ thanks for your quick reply, dude.

Mine is stock, Im not good at overclocking, Im afraid of shorten the life of my cpu
    Reply to djwarcr
  21. Here's my results for a few games so far - build in sig. Running max settings on 1440p.
    Redout: Enhanced Edition... 0 - upper 90s, sometimes 100% gpu usage
    Witcher 3, Doom, TC's Ghost Recon... pretty much the same as above
    Dark Souls 3... 0 - 58
    World of Warcraft(this one didn't give consistent results)... Got 0 - 60s, 0 - 80s, highest recorded was 0 - 97, but this was only during a 40 man raid, likely during one of the more 'flashy' boss encounters. But can say with certainty there's a cpu bottleneck even at 1440p with graphics cranked to max.
    3570k does indeed hold 1080ti back in cpu intensive games and will likely be even worse on 1080p.

@ TechyInAZ: I know you wanted the averages, but I guess due to pauses, menus and the like, 0 will always be the min. And that, I believe would've skewed my results, so I posted the min and max of what was displayed on MSI Afterburner. Hope this still helped though!
    Reply to Phaaze88
  22. I have a i7 4790k OC to 4.6 ghz and a 1080 ti strix oc on a 1440p gaming monitor

I have tested few games now like Star Citizen, GTAV, ARK, The Witcher 3, BF1.. 99-100% gpu usage all the time whatsoever so maybe 1% bottleneck, 50-60% cpu usage in average pretty neat.

I think every actual cpu's will bottleneck this beast of a gpu, at some points.
    Reply to WardogzZ
  23. Nice post.
    There is one HUGE problem in the description of the "bottleneck"
    components do not bottleneck each other - they limit application performance. On the same system for one game it can be CPU, in other the GPU and in third game it will be RAM.

bottom line, the only real "bottlenecks" in computers are people sitting in front of them.
    Reply to n0ns3ns3
  24. so i've recently gotten my 1080 TI Zotac and i've put up a ticket about some bottlenecking i must have somewhere in my system.

ever since i upgraded to windows 7 home edition i've had this coughing of frame rate where the game will run steady frames about 60 on 1080p from my 660 GTX my 970 GTX and now my 1080 TI GTX but in every game but For honor, Witcher 3 and Elite dangerous out of nowhere the frames will do like a cough where everything freezes for a split second and then its gonna keep coughing for a few more seconds where im bleeding down to 20
    FPS regardless of the game being in 1080p or 640x480 low or ultra doesn't matter it will do this about ever 10-30 seconds and its driving me insane because i have replaced everything in my pc, Harddrive, GPU, CPU, RAM, Motherboard and it just keeps being an issue and i cant find out where this is happening.

my current system is:
    GPU_ ZOTAC 1080 ti GTX
    CPU: intel core i7 4790k
    RAM: HyperX savage 2x8 GB 2400 Mhz
    Motherboard: Asus maximus VII ranger
    Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" SATA 6GB/s (SATA 3.0), 64MB Cache, 7200RPM

can you throw me a bone as too where this problem could be because i had it on my previous pc as well which system was

GPU: EVGA 970 GTX and at one point a MSI twin frozen 660 GTX
    CPU: Intel core i7 2600k
    RAM: Cosair vengance 4x4 GB 1600 Mhz
    Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO, Socket-1155
    Harddrive: Samsung Spinpoint TB/R54/32M and a Samsung Spinpoint 1TB/7200rpm/32M
    Reply to SuddenFool
  25. think i found the problem cuz ima moron i had global graphic settings in nvidia controlpanel set to " V-sync always on " which defeats the point of a G-Sync monitor.
    Reply to SuddenFool
  26. Anyone running VR (CV1) and Assetto or sim racing? Would like to see how various cpu/gpu perform.
    Reply to sherpa25
  27. I'm using my 4770K to simulate other processors by downclocking, overclocking, and/or disabling cores and/or hyperthreading.

I'm testing using an Asus ROG Strix gaming OC graphics card with +70mhz on the core and +275mhz on the memory.
    For each CPU I will give you the average GPU usage at 4K, 1440p, and 1080p under the game Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands.

Core i5 4690K 4K 99%, 1440p 97.8%, 1080p 80.4%
    Core i7 4770K 4K 99%, 1440p 98.1%, 1080p 91.2%
    Core i7 4790K 4K 99%, 1440p 98.1%, 1080p 97.0%

Haswell Core i7 at 4GHz and above seem to give the same results at 1080p. So any OC above 4GHz is useless in Ghost Recon Wildlands. At 4GHz I get 97.5%. At 4790K speeds I only got 97.0%. I was surprised by these results. The bottleneck at 4770K speeds is almost 10% while it is 3% and 2.5% for my overclocked 4770K. The Core i5 4690K fares well until we get to 1080p where there is a significant bottleneck. I will test more games soon. I just thought this one would be a quick and easy way to start off.

Side note. I also happened to see that the Core i7 6700K also bottlenecks around 2% to 3% in Wildlands at 1080p.
    Reply to theonerm2
  28. I am using an AMD 8320E and a GTX 1080 which is of course bottlenecked. The GPU runs at 30%-40% (MSI afterburn) while playing Overwatch (all low, 1080p) and I get 120 fps, but the thing is my CPU is not running at 100% while playing but at 70%-80% according to task manager. This looks weird to me, anyone that could tell me why this happens or if it is normal?
    Reply to ImaqtLasagna
  29. Mustafa_30 said:
    How about the rx 580? Should be the same as the rx 480 when it comes to bottlenecking?

An I7 870 @ Stock will push an RX 480 for everything it's worth from my own testing comparing the same RX 480 in my I7 7700K machine. No real change in graphics scores in Fire Strike etc, talking about low 100's change in score so that's null difference.

And the i7 870 is a 1st generation i7.

So I wouldn't worry about any bottle necking with anything less than a GTX 1070 if one has an I7 (8 Thread).
    Reply to jankerson
  30. djwarcr said:
    Hi TechyInAZ
    why the charts dont show I7 second generation?
    I have a 2600k cpu and I m planning to buy a EVGA SC 1060..
    what do you think of that combination?

Your CPU will push it for all it's worth.

Now from the GTX 1070 and above that may be different.
    Reply to jankerson
  31. Here is some information/scores from my two machines in 3Dmark and 3Dmark 2011 on the RX 480.

Used 3DMark because it's a controlled test, same every time and it separates the GPU score from the rest.

CPU's:
    I5 750 @ 2.8 GHz
    XEON X3450 @ 2.8 GHz
    I7 870 @ 3.2 GHz
    I7 7700K @ 4.8 GHz.

Graphics card - XFX RS RX 480 8GB at stock speed.

Scores are Graphics Scores only to highlight the GPU only:

3Dmark Fire Strike:
    I5 750 - 13,528
    XEON X3450 - 13,707
    I7 870 - 13,517
    I7 7700K - 13,922

3Dmark Time Spy:
    I5 750 - 4,138
    XEON X3450 - 4,139
    I7 870 - 4,132
    I7 7700K - 4,155

3DMark 2011:
    I5 750 - 19,504
    XEON X3450 - 19,409
    I7 870 - 19,631
    I7 7700K - 19,898

So much for an I7 870 bottlenecking an RX 480, I still say with the mid range cards any i7 (8 Thread) will be fine as the CPU isn't the bottleneck.

Now results could be different with different system setups, graphics cards etc.

With cards above mid range as in the GTX 1070 and above, yes I will agree with the bottlenecking issues.
    Reply to jankerson
  32. if someone could do some benchmark for ram speeds...1600mhz,2133mhz,2933mhz
    coz i think bottleneck could be occur with lower memory bandwidth...
    1.Crysis 3 - Welcome to jungle
    2.Forza Horizon 3 - Paradise(town area)
    Reply to Dilshan941
  33. does the AMD "A10-6700 Richland Quad-Core 3.7 GHz Socket FM2' bottleneck the gtx 1060 3 gb
    Reply to tangerinemiddle890
  34. tangerinemiddle890 said:
    does the AMD "A10-6700 Richland Quad-Core 3.7 GHz Socket FM2' bottleneck the gtx 1060 3 gb

Yes 100%.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  35. TechyInAZ said:
    tangerinemiddle890 said:
    does the AMD "A10-6700 Richland Quad-Core 3.7 GHz Socket FM2' bottleneck the gtx 1060 3 gb

Yes 100%.

what cpu doesnt bottleneck that gpu? i would like to buy a new one
  36. tangerinemiddle890 said:
    TechyInAZ said:
    tangerinemiddle890 said:

Yes 100%.

what cpu doesnt bottleneck that gpu? i would like to buy a new one

Well in order to answer that question properly I need to know how much you can spend. If you want something on socket FM2 forget it. You need a new motherboard and RAM too unless you want to buy something older. I need to know how much you can afford to spend for the whole thing.
    Reply to theonerm2
  37. theonerm2 said:
    Well in order to answer that question properly I need to know how much you can spend. If you want something on socket FM2 forget it. You need a new motherboard and RAM too unless you want to buy something older. I need to know how much you can afford to spend for the whole thing.

400 dollars max, I have 10 gb of ram
  38. tangerinemiddle890 said:
    theonerm2 said:

So as not to derail this thread, please make a new thread regarding upgrading your PC and link us the url to that thread over here.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  39. TechyInAZ said:
    tangerinemiddle890 said:
    theonerm2 said:

So as not to derail this thread, please make a new thread regarding upgrading your PC and link us the url to that thread over here.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3538567/gtx-1060-compatible-question.html
  40. nevarran said:
    I installed MSI Afterburner to check the frame rate and the lower GPU usage on NieR Automata and The Witcher 3 seems to be due to both games being locked at 60fps. The CPU usage the RivaTuner reports stays at 30-40%, rarely jumping towards 60-70%.

How did you unlock the frame rate on the Witcher 3?
    Reply to dreamyguy79
  41. dreamyguy79 said:
    nevarran said:

How did you unlock the frame rate on the Witcher 3?

It is in the graphics options menu: 30, 60, or unlimited.
    Reply to krells
  42. Hello my Friends!
    I would like to ask your help. I plan to upgrade my pc in the - maybe near- future. My cpu isn't a new one, but still ok, but I surely need a new vga. My CPU is an intel i7 2600k. So the question is: which VGA would be the best fellow to it? At first, I looked at AMD RX 580 8GB, but I got some advices that this cpu can "serve" a better vga to, like a vega 56, or a GTX 1080. This latter would be a bit cheaper and also stronger, but my 2600k could really work with it without beeing a source of bottleneck?
    Thanks your help and advice,
    Have a nice day.
    Reply to kargil
  43. kargil said:
    Hello my Friends!
    I would like to ask your help. I plan to upgrade my pc in the - maybe near- future. My cpu isn't a new one, but still ok, but I surely need a new vga. My CPU is an intel i7 2600k. So the question is: which VGA would be the best fellow to it? At first, I looked at AMD RX 580 8GB, but I got some advices that this cpu can "serve" a better vga to, like a vega 56, or a GTX 1080. This latter would be a bit cheaper and also stronger, but my 2600k could really work with it without beeing a source of bottleneck?
    Thanks your help and advice,
    Have a nice day.

The Sandy Bridge Core i7s are still quite peppy. If your running at stock clocks, yeah you'll bottleneck everything in the mid range market, but if you get close to 4.9GHz, you can run 1060s and 580s without a problem.

There will still be a slight bottleneck, but one that will barely be noticeable.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  44. the 6600k is also bottlenecking the 1060?
    Reply to breavehao
  45. breavehao said:
    the 6600k is also bottlenecking the 1060?

No, not by a long shot. Unless the game is very unoptimized.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  46. I have an HP z800 workstation(got really cheap) with
    -dual xeon x5660 CPUs (12 cores at 2.8 GHz)
    -160GB DDR3-1333 ECC Registered RAM
    -2 PCIe 2.0 x16 slots
    -2560*1600 resolution monitor (looking to upgrade to a 4k soon)
    I want to purchase either a 1070 or 1080 but I'm not sure if it will be to bottlenecked by any of the current components in my computer. I figured that the PCIe 2.0 will bottleneck the GPU before anything else, maybe the slow ram may be the second place it could bottleneck. Will I be better off buying an older card because of any potential for a bottleneck or will I still be able to get a decent throughput with a 1080 in my machine?
    Reply to xymox25
  47. xymox25 said:

I have an HP z800 workstation(got really cheap) with
    -dual xeon x5660 CPUs (12 cores at 2.8 GHz)
    -160GB DDR3-1333 ECC Registered RAM
    -2 PCIe 2.0 x16 slots
    -2560*1600 resolution monitor (looking to upgrade to a 4k soon)
    I want to purchase either a 1070 or 1080 but I'm not sure if it will be to bottlenecked by any of the current components in my computer. I figured that the PCIe 2.0 will bottleneck the GPU before anything else, maybe the slow ram may be the second place it could bottleneck. Will I be better off buying an older card because of any potential for a bottleneck or will I still be able to get a decent throughput with a 1080 in my machine?

You'll get a heavy bottleneck for sure, since games can't effectively* utilize more than 4-6 cores ATM. You could get faster ram or heck even overclock if the FSB is capable of that on your motherboard, however it won't get rid of the bottleneck.

So long story short, your CPUs are your biggest problem, everything else would be fine if the CPUs had the IPC performance of today's latest processors. Even PCI-E 2.0 is plenty for a Titan X or 1080 Ti.

The max I'd recommend is a GTX 1060 or RX 580. The most optimal for your configuration in my opinion would be an RX 470/570 or a GTX 970. Even with a 970 or RX 470, you'll get a noticeable bottleneck, but it won't be nearly as severe as with a 1070 or 1080.

* When I mean effective, I mean cores that the games needs to have for either A. Run the game or B. Run at optimal performance. I've seen games use up to 12 threads, but only for small stuff that isn't "mission critical" so to speak.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  48. Hi guys, sorry! I must be the ultimate retarded! I cant find my CPU in the charts! I have an Intel i7 870 Lynnfield...is a GTX 1070 going to be bottlenecked? Thanks for the patience...
    Reply to mikys
  49. mikys said:
    Hi guys, sorry! I must be the ultimate retarded! I cant find my CPU in the charts! I have an Intel i7 870 Lynnfield...is a GTX 1070 going to be bottlenecked? Thanks for the patience...

Yes. Upgrade your CPU to avoid the bottleneck.
    Reply to theonerm2
  50. Thank you for the reply. Problem is that this is the best CPU i can get with the motherboard that i have. Whats the best VGA i can get?
    Reply to mikys
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

GPUs Bottleneck Graphics Cards CPUs Gaming