Ultimate Bottlenecking Guide/Discussion Thread! - page 2

192 answers Last reply
  1. bro thanks again for the chart and for helping other people, i bought my new budget gaming rig today:) i5 6600 and gtx 1060 6gig no bottleneck i tested it ......btw im looking at your maxwell chart now for additional knowledge haha.. hope i can also help others next time too
    Reply to OverclockDaddy
  2. OverclockDaddy said:
    i think almost all amd cpus will bottleneck those new 10 series cards according to the chart, i think u can make (if you just want) amd fx cpus and older 9 series cards like gtx 960-980? ............i hope amd zen will keep up this time because the fx cpus is so far behind like 5 year old architecture, im going intel for now

I will be upgrading my i5 4460 to a top range zen too when it comes out. That is if the 8core/ 16 thread model is at the same price as the Intel kaby lake i7s and has roughly the same gaming performance at launch.DX 12 games have already shown that they scale well with multicore processors so its bound to last longer.
    Reply to seanwee
  3. After some further tinkering with settings, I found out that the auto setting of threaded optimisation in Nvidia control panel is what has been causing the i5 4460 to bottleneck.

I'm happy to report that after changing threaded optimisation from auto to on , the cpu is now bottlenecking less. The crysis 3 bottleneck is almost entirely gone and now it only bottlenecks minutely in fallout 4.
    Reply to seanwee
  4. seanwee said:
    After some further tinkering with settings, I found out that the auto setting of threaded optimisation in Nvidia control panel is what has been causing the i5 4460 to bottleneck.

I'm happy to report that after changing threaded optimisation from auto to on , the cpu is now bottlenecking less. The crysis 3 bottleneck is almost entirely gone and now it only bottlenecks minutely in fallout 4.

Can you provide backup to this? I'd love to see some benchmarks!
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  5. Hey, so I have a i7-3770k, how much bottleneck would it cause a 1070 in games like DotA, Overwatch and Starcraft?
    Reply to lecrash
  6. TechyInAZ said:
    seanwee said:
    After some further tinkering with settings, I found out that the auto setting of threaded optimisation in Nvidia control panel is what has been causing the i5 4460 to bottleneck.

Can you provide backup to this? I'd love to see some benchmarks!

Will definitely do if i have some spare time as exams are just around the corner.
    Reply to seanwee
  7. lecrash said:
    Hey, so I have a i7-3770k, how much bottleneck would it cause a 1070 in games like DotA, Overwatch and Starcraft?

Those games aren't as demanding so you should be fine.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  8. what about 2nd gen i5 2310 2.90Ghz , with 2x4gb memory and Asus strix 1060 6gb..? will 2310 bottleneck 1060? and how to confirm if it is bottlenecking my gpu.
    Thanks
    Reply to hamidkhatri
  9. hamidkhatri said:
    what about 2nd gen i5 2310 2.90Ghz , with 2x4gb memory and Asus strix 1060 6gb..? will 2310 bottleneck 1060? and how to confirm if it is bottlenecking my gpu.
    Thanks

Yes it will.

The best way to confirm is to run the most intensive games on the market right now, specifically Crysis 3. If your CPU is in the 95-100% usage range and your GPU is way below 90%, you definitely have a bottleneck.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  10. TechyInAZ said:
    hamidkhatri said:
    what about 2nd gen i5 2310 2.90Ghz , with 2x4gb memory and Asus strix 1060 6gb..? will 2310 bottleneck 1060? and how to confirm if it is bottlenecking my gpu.
    Thanks

Yes it will.

The best way to confirm is to run the most intensive games on the market right now, specifically Crysis 3. If your CPU is in the 95-100% usage range and your GPU is way below 90%, you definitely have a bottleneck.

I have a few games installed right now, like ROTR, Mafia3, Farcry primal, Witcher 3. which one of these games are more intensive? and how frequent should i be checking usage of CPU and GPU? i know it is pretty noob question but i need answer :)
    Reply to hamidkhatri
  11. Use Witcher 3, it's demanding and popular among the web for this kind of stuff. :)

Use MSI Afterburner and look up on the web how to enable the in game HUD. It's got one of the best monitoring apps.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  12. TechyInAZ said:
    Use Witcher 3, it's demanding and popular among the web for this kind of stuff. :)

Use MSI Afterburner and look up on the web how to enable the in game HUD. It's got one of the best monitoring apps.

I know how to use msi afterburner, i use it to monitor temps and cpu gpu usage, i asked how ami supposed to know exactly that the cpu is being utilized less, at what scenario? Coz there is always changing scenes and load on gpu in different scenes like open environmwnt or closed environment (small room, cave etc).
    Reply to hamidkhatri
  13. hamidkhatri said:
    TechyInAZ said:
    Use Witcher 3, it's demanding and popular among the web for this kind of stuff. :)

I know how to use msi afterburner, i use it to monitor temps and cpu gpu usage, i asked how ami supposed to know exactly that the cpu is being utilized less, at what scenario? Coz there is always changing scenes and load on gpu in different scenes like open environmwnt or closed environment (small room, cave etc).

Well eh, I don't play Witcher 3 so I'm not sure. But test out where the most demanding parts of the map are and run around in those areas for a few dozen seconds. Watch the CPU and GPU load while doing so (if you can't you can always use a log).
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  14. TechyInAZ said:
    hamidkhatri said:
    TechyInAZ said:

Well eh, I don't play Witcher 3 so I'm not sure. But test out where the most demanding parts of the map are and run around in those areas for a few dozen seconds. Watch the CPU and GPU load while doing so (if you can't you can always use a log).

I played witcher 3 for a while, and i didn't see any significant bottleneck as per u said, only at few occasions when the processor was 99-100% and gpu was 90% (the FPS was still 60fps), i have 1080p 60hz monitor though.

here is the graph

The graphics settings for witcher 3 was set by Geforce Experience software, which was almost ultra.

Thanks

P.S: the dips in GPU usage is when I go to menu for Worldmap, Meditation, Inventory etc
    Reply to hamidkhatri
  15. Hi, TechyInAz.
    I'm not anywhere on the location for your charts since I'm using an i7 3770k, a R9 390x @ 1080p but say if I reach the pink state which Battlefield 1 may put me in, can I clock up the cpu or gpu to clear the bottleneck? (I may be saying this hypothetically since I haven't purcahsed Battlefield 1 yet). My computer doesn't give me a lick of problems and I'm really attached to it's performance. I want to wait till next or summer or early fall to build a VR rig.
    Reply to Rexer
  16. Rexer said:
    Hi, TechyInAz.
    I'm not anywhere on the location for your charts since I'm using an i7 3770k, a R9 390x @ 1080p but say if I reach the pink state which Battlefield 1 may put me in, can I clock up the cpu or gpu to clear the bottleneck? (I may be saying this hypothetically since I haven't purcahsed Battlefield 1 yet). My computer doesn't give me a lick of problems and I'm really attached to it's performance. I want to wait till next or summer or early fall to build a VR rig.

The Radeon R9 390x is an older gen card so you shouldn't have a bottleneck.

However, I've been hearing numerous reports that BF1 is having serious CPU issues, so you might have a CPU bottleneck until the devs fix whatever is going on.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  17. TechyInAZ said:
    Rexer said:
    Hi, TechyInAz.

The Radeon R9 390x is an older gen card so you shouldn't have a bottleneck.

However, I've been hearing numerous reports that BF1 is having serious CPU issues, so you might have a CPU bottleneck until the devs fix whatever is going on.

Lol. You'd think I wouldn't have a performance problems since 390x was AMD's top of the line only a little over a year ago . But according to EA's recommended BF1 requirements, I'd have to push it a bit or get a 480. Course, I'm only speaking in terms of 'ultra' settings.
    Yeah, I'm hearing the cpu issues, too. Curious as what the problems could be. Was hoping I could bump up the cpu clock from 3.5g to 4.0g before I purchase the game. I'll wait and read the blogs a while. Thanks. Glad you're writing this bottlenecking guide.
    Reply to Rexer
  18. TechyInAZ said:
    Hey all. A Maxwell bottlenecking chart is in the making right now. But I'd also like to know if you all want me to do a Hawaii AMD bottlenecking chart aswell?

That might be helpful. I have a Granada which is based on Hawaii so I could stand to benefit. thanks.
    Reply to Rexer
  19. Hi, i have an i5 4690k and i saw that in the 1080 bottleneck chart it appears as "black" and in the 1070 pone appears as "magenta" !
    Reply to Phmarco
  20. Phmarco said:
    Hi, i have an i5 4690k and i saw that in the 1080 bottleneck chart it appears as "black" and in the 1070 pone appears as "magenta" !

I believe you mean "Blue"?

Yeah sorry I just looked and that was an error. Thank you for letting me know!
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  21. How is it that an i-5 4460 is black (no bneck at all) with a rx 480, but when compared to a gtx 1060 it is magenta (only bneck during worst case)?

I have a 4460 and currently trying to decide between a 480 / 1060 and leaning towards the 1060. Would prefer to not have to upgrade my cpu for maybe 18-24 months and then replace the 1060 / 4460 at once.
    Reply to t99
  22. Reply to t99
  23. t99 said:
    How is it that an i-5 4460 is black (no bneck at all) with a rx 480, but when compared to a gtx 1060 it is magenta (only bneck during worst case)?

I have a 4460 and currently trying to decide between a 480 / 1060 and leaning towards the 1060. Would prefer to not have to upgrade my cpu for maybe 18-24 months and then replace the 1060 / 4460 at once.

Well, the chart is telling you that in dx11 the 1060 is better than rx 480. I would take the 480 because of vram and vulkan, but in this segment of the market there is no much "future proof"
    Reply to Phmarco
  24. t99 said:

At 1080P it will look like that. If you bump up the resolution to 2k or 4k, then you'll see the i3 come to its knees.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  25. thanks, neat browse.

but WTF is up with the font size? you nearly blind? ;)
    Reply to araczynski
  26. araczynski said:
    thanks, neat browse.

Nope. My vision is a perfect 20/20.

I do the larger font sizes for those who can't see that well, and even if you have good eyes, it's easier to read anyways.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  27. TechyInAZ said:
    araczynski said:
    thanks, neat browse.

Nope. My vision is a perfect 20/20.

I do the larger font sizes for those who can't see that well, and even if you have good eyes, it's easier to read anyways.

:) i had to step cuz I felt like I was getting yelled at through the screen :) you using a laptop? cuz on a 28" screen at 1080p that looks painful :)
    Reply to araczynski
  28. Sorry about that. I'm on a 1440P 27' panel which is probably why it looks so big towards you.

You could zoom out with the browser's built in zoom function.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  29. My apologies if it's not the right place for this question. Do let me know where it's appropriate and I'll do the adjustments.

Could someone explain the intricacies of the bottlenecks formed?

I'm looking at Titan X(Pascal) and can't add the maths up. Perhaps I am comparing the wrong factors. Do correct me if so.
    PCIe x16 gives 15.75GB/s but Titan X's is rated at Memory Bandwidth of 480GB/s.Dosent it bottleneck itself? Or was I supposed to look at Memory Speed of 10Gbs. And what is Memory Interface Width?

Is there an article I could read where the ins and outs of a GPU is explained? For example, I think GPU outputs to a display through a cable and how do I check if the cable can support the output?
    Reply to IkeaEraser
  30. IkeaEraser said:
    My apologies if it's not the right place for this question. Do let me know where it's appropriate and I'll do the adjustments.

Could someone explain the intricacies of the bottlenecks formed?

I'm looking at Titan X(Pascal) and can't add the maths up. Perhaps I am comparing the wrong factors. Do correct me if so.
    PCIe x16 gives 15.75GB/s but Titan X's is rated at Memory Bandwidth of 480GB/s.Dosent it bottleneck itself? Or was I supposed to look at Memory Speed of 10Gbs. And what is Memory Interface Width?

Is there an article I could read where the ins and outs of a GPU is explained? For example, I think GPU outputs to a display through a cable and how do I check if the cable can support the output?

This should help you: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7793/imaginations-powervr-rogue-architecture-exposed/2

To answer your question directly, no the Titan X doesn't bottleneck itself. This is because the memory doesn't rely on the PCIE bus. The memory is connected directly to the GPU core itself and only uses it's bandwidth to transfer information from GPU to VRAM and vise versa. The only thing that the PCIE bus does is A, provide some of the power... and B, transfers pre-rendered frames from the CPU to the GPU.

EDIT: That link was not the one I was looking for. Here you go: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/graphics-card1.htm
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  31. I'm gonna get an i5 6600k and GTX 1050 Ti 4gb. Will there be any bottlenecking issues?
    Reply to PC-4LIFE
  32. regarding to 'Bottlenecking Chart for GTX 1060', u mention in the chart i5 4570(pink) & i5 3470(black),& i think i5 4570 also should be black,coz its one step newer & nearly matching clock speeds & once i have that i5 4570(currently having 3470) both have equal performance or i think 4570 would be few percent better than 3470.hope this helps...
    & need some advice:my pc cant do multitasking(bottleneck),for example,when installing a game or extracting with winrar my pc become un usable(getting 100% disk usage,cpu usage is 30-50%,monitored in taskmanager)why is that happen,i'm suspecting my mobo's chipset which is h61(mobo:msi h61m p32/w8)...have any idea about that? also in crysis 3 ,welcome to jungle mission(2nd) my cpu hit 90-100 & gpu getting 50-90 usage also in watchdogs ,when driving cpu hit 60-80 while gpu hit 20-70.
    Reply to Dilshan941
  33. Any issues with gtx 1070 with triple monitors (1080p) with i5-4460?
    Reply to stavrosmast
  34. Bem-xxx said:
    The FX 8xxx bottlenecks? We are not in the 2012.
    From Guru3d

From Technologyx.

i'm using a fx8320 right now and i have low cpu and gpu usage in both dying light and gta V , those game only use 4 cores so i can say that the fx cpus bottleneck my gtx 1060 6gb .In Doom , Overwatch and bf1 fps are fine but can't beat an i5 3570 in bf1 conquest max settings with 16gb ram and using the same gpu . i'm using fx 8320 and my friend is using i5 3570k , my gpu is 1060 6gb gamingx , his gpu is 1060 6gb zotac amp
    Reply to phong1996
  35. any answer to mine question ?
    Reply to stavrosmast
  36. stavrosmast said:
    Any issues with gtx 1070 with triple monitors (1080p) with i5-4460?

stavrosmast said:
    any answer to mine question ?

Relax. Sometimes it takes time on the forums to get a question answered.

With triple monitors, yeah you'll most likely get a bottleneck. However, I'd test it out first since I'm not 100% sure on that.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  37. Ok I just remembered that ppl used to answer in like a day (some threads) not like a week.

But i ll know for other time ok
    Reply to stavrosmast
  38. stavrosmast said:
    Ok I just remembered that ppl used to answer in like a day (some threads) not like a week.

But i ll know for other time ok

The reason why new threads get answered very quickly is because we have a Forum Live Feed right on the main page of TH. All new threads go to that feed which is how everybody can see new threads in a quick amount of time.

Threads that are older, like discussion threads (including this one) won't appear on the live feed since it's not new. You'll have to manually go to this thread or subscribe to it.

I hope this clarifies how the thread creation system works. :)
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  39. Ok... Gonna try the i5-4460/1070+free watch dogs 2
    Reply to stavrosmast
  40. First of all i have to thank you a billion time for the work you've put here, that is incredibly helpful for a lot of us. For example i have a i7-3770(not k) that i was a bit worried about even thoug it still a pretty good cpu but i now know that i'll be able to enjoy a 1060 or a 480 without problem ( i'm a right ?)
    Reply to SirCurvington
  41. SirCurvington said:
    First of all i have to thank you a billion time for the work you've put here, that is incredibly helpful for a lot of us. For example i have a i7-3770(not k) that i was a bit worried about even thoug it still a pretty good cpu but i now know that i'll be able to enjoy a 1060 or a 480 without problem ( i'm a right ?)

I'm just glad my worked paid off. :) Thank you.

Correct, you'll get a bottleneck free experience with either of those cards. :)
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  42. will a i7-4790k be alright with 1 RX 480? or should it need 2?
    Reply to ashleybog
  43. ashleybog said:
    will a i7-4790k be alright with 1 RX 480? or should it need 2?

1 or 2 will be fine. The 4790K won't bottleneck them either way.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  44. TechyInAZ said:
    Your in the right spot! Thank you!! I'll update as soon as I can.

you're *
    Reply to rishab2000
  45. Most people I asked told me that the i5-3570k won't bottleneck the 1070. Atleast not by much.
    Well.....I just can not agree with that at ALL! It's not fun playing games while seing 100% Cpu usage and 40%-60% GPU Usage.
    Ofcourse its not on most games, but its happening in GTA 5, Watch Dogs 2 and Titanfall 2 Multiplayer! Titanfall 2 is really weird because in Multiplayer my mouse gets VERY laggy and sound is stuttering while my CPU is at 100% usage.
    I'm getting a i7-6700k because I just cant deal with this annoyance and I want as little as possible GPU bottleneck!

PC Specs currentely:
    B75MA-p45
    i5-3570k OC to 3.8Ghz
    Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Extreme
    Corsair Vengeance 650W
    16GB RAM
    1TB (D)+500GB (C (Windows))
    1080p 60hz display
    Reply to pcfreaky
  46. Yep, on most of the latest games a 1070 + old core i5 will have that issue. But you shouldn't get mouse lag or sound stutters.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  47. TechyInAZ said:
    Yep, on most of the latest games a 1070 + old core i5 will have that issue. But you shouldn't get mouse lag or sound stutters.

That would be caused by insufficient RAM wouldn't it?
    Reply to PC-4LIFE
  48. PC-4LIFE said:
    TechyInAZ said:
    Yep, on most of the latest games a 1070 + old core i5 will have that issue. But you shouldn't get mouse lag or sound stutters.

16GB is plenty for a gaming PC, if he had 8GB, then that would be a possibility.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  49. TechyInAZ said:
    PC-4LIFE said:
    TechyInAZ said:

16GB is plenty for a gaming PC, if he had 8GB, then that would be a possibility.

You have any idea from what it is/What causes the mouse and sound stutter/lag? D:
    But it's only in Titanfall 2 Multiplayer, so it's not the end of the world for me xD
    It helps when I put windows sound from 7.1 to stereo.....
    Reply to pcfreaky
  50. pcfreaky said:
    TechyInAZ said:
    PC-4LIFE said:
    TechyInAZ said:

You have any idea from what it is/What causes the mouse and sound stutter/lag? D:
    But it's only in Titanfall 2 Multiplayer, so it's not the end of the world for me xD
    It helps when I put windows sound from 7.1 to stereo.....

Well what does it look like in task manager when you are playing? We covered insufficient memory could be a problem, but you have 16GB which is more than enough. Is anything hogging the memory apart from the game? That's all I can think of that could cause mouse lag really. Is it a wired mouse?
    Reply to PC-4LIFE
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

GPUs Bottleneck Graphics Cards CPUs Gaming