Graphics card acting weird.

So my laptop has been acting weird lately. The laptop is acer aspire e5-571g and bought it last year. So basically cpu fan keeps going off and on making this annoying sound when its on.
I have found out that it turns on at 40 celsius and turns off when below that. Also analyzing the gpu temp over time i found out that it is at 0 C 95 % of the time and the rest of 5% there are weird spikes that go up to 40 Celsius.
I tried updating drivers to the latest ones which didnt fix the fan problem and then used driver sweeper to remove drivers completely and install aged drivers which are recommended by acer on their website that didnt work also. Fan keeps going off and on in safe mode also.
There are weird fluctuation in CPU usage also(from 10% to 40 at idle and also in safe mode). There doesent seem to be cause either because viewing processes from task bar nothing seems to be causing this fluctuation. Also scanned the pc with ESET nod 32(updated) and also kaspersky rootkit virus scanner. No viruses found.
Also one more weird thing is that there is always a spike in gpu temp(from 0C to 40C) when i close the lid of the laptop.
I also tried clening it with a vacuum cleaner placing the nose of the vacuum at cpu vents. No difference.
One more thing is that when I installed the newest drivers and tried opening a game it gave me BSOD with "nvlddmkm" error.

Both logical and unrealistic solutions welcomed.
2 answers Last reply
More about graphics card acting weird
  1. Hi.

    This just sounds like the Switchable graphics / Nvidia optimus is doing its thing.

    With a laptop, I reccomend you download only the drivers from the manufacturers website, and not nvidia.com or intel.com, laptops are touchy like that.

    Make sure you have both Intel and Nvidia graphics drivers installed.

    You don't mention how you're measuring the temperatures.

    Depending on the app you're using, it's measuring 0 degrees most of the time because the intel graphics are in use and the nvidia graphics are "off."

    Only when you use the nvidia graphics will a correct temperature be reported.
  2. Faux_Grey said:
    Hi.

    This just sounds like the Switchable graphics / Nvidia optimus is doing its thing.

    With a laptop, I reccomend you download only the drivers from the manufacturers website, and not nvidia.com or intel.com, laptops are touchy like that.

    Make sure you have both Intel and Nvidia graphics drivers installed.

    You don't mention how you're measuring the temperatures.

    Depending on the app you're using, it's measuring 0 degrees most of the time because the intel graphics are in use and the nvidia graphics are "off."

    Only when you use the nvidia graphics will a correct temperature be reported.

    I doubt it is the drivers because the second after i turn the laptop on the fan starts pounding away. So Im guessing the fix narrows down to CPU heat managment?
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Aspire Graphics Cards Acer