Windows has shut down unexpectedly

About every 10 minutes, but sometimes more frequently, my desktop completely shuts down and restarts. Sometimes however it can shut down once a minute, so it's not the same amount of time every time. Windows reliability simply says "The last shutdown was unexpected", and although my computer is meant to, no .dmp files are generated.

I believe I have ruled out that it's not my CPU, GPU, or PSU because I've run a simultaneous stress test of my GPU and CPU for about 15 minutes straight without a crash. Although not exclusively when I'm in games, crashes seem to be more frequent when I am.

I have flashed my bios on my MB, but that didn't fix anything either. I think there's a chance it could be my MB, but I don't know how to test if it is.

Any suggestions how I can debug what the error is, or should I completely wipe my drives and reinstall windows?
3 answers Last reply
More about windows shut unexpectedly
  1. if it a newer mb go into the bios that shows voltage and temp let the pc sit there if it a hardware issue the pc should reboot. if it a virus scan or boot into safe mode for testing.
  2. smorizio said:
    if it a newer mb go into the bios that shows voltage and temp let the pc sit there if it a hardware issue the pc should reboot. if it a virus scan or boot into safe mode for testing.

I've run malwarebytes and it doesn't detect anything. What should the voltages and temps be around? I just left my PC idle for about an hour and a half and it didn't restart... I'm almost certain it's when I join games now, however I can do stress tests on my gpu and cpu without crashing
  3. 100% reinstalled windows... still crashed. Think that means it's hardware.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows Shutdown