What's a good pair of hard drives to create a RAID-1 for a reasonable price?

I have an Asrock Z77 Pro3 motherboard PC (which features RAID) with an 250 GB Samsung EVO SSD as startup drive. My HDD has died so I'd like to replace it with a RAID-1 setup, with reasonable performance, but nothing extreme, I prefer reliability and data redundancy than speed.

What HDD would you recommend? I'm thinking of two 2TB or 3TB HDDs in RAID-1.
5 answers Last reply
More about good pair hard drives create raid reasonable price
  1. 2TB Western Digital Blacks are typically my go-to for RAID setups. Very reliable, and a low failure rate with long warranties of 5 years. Whatever you do, DO NOT go for budget toshiba drives, or Seagate Barracuda HDDs.
    They have a high year over year failure rate and are not reliable.
    If you are on a budget, the WD Caviar Blues are a good choice, but are only 7200RPM in the 1TB model, the 2TB models are 5400RPM.
  2. Chugalug_ said:
    2TB Western Digital Blacks are typically my go-to for RAID setups. Very reliable, and a low failure rate with long warranties of 5 years. Whatever you do, DO NOT go for budget toshiba drives, or Seagate Barracuda HDDs.
    They have a high year over year failure rate and are not reliable.
    If you are on a budget, the WD Caviar Blues are a good choice, but are only 7200RPM in the 1TB model, the 2TB models are 5400RPM.

Great answer, I think I'll go for the WD Digital blacks. Thanks mate.
  3. No problem, PM me if you ever have any concerns or queries. :)
  4. You don't want to use WD Blacks for RAID. I did and was plagued with timeout errors. These are great drives, but they are not recommend for RAID applications due the TLE which can no longer be changed. I tried Blues also, and they were not bad, but your best bet is REDS or an RE version.
  5. MarkR69 said:
    You don't want to use WD Blacks for RAID. I did and was plagued with timeout errors. These are great drives, but they are not recommend for RAID applications due the TLE which can no longer be changed. I tried Blues also, and they were not bad, but your best bet is REDS or an RE version.

Thanks for that, I won't buy that. All I want is the most reasonable backup solution for home use. I thought a raid-1 might be good.
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Hard Drives