Solved

SSD only showing up in BIOS and device manager, nowhere else

Yesterday i bought a new ssd, a Samsung evo 850 250g. However windows will simply not recognize it. i can see it in device manager and in BIOS, but it doesnt show up in disk manager or anywhere. Also I cant seem to format it because i dont know where to find it.
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about ssd showing bios device manager
  1. If it shows up in disk manager, you should be able to initialize it and then format it.
  2. clutchc said:
    If it shows up in disk manager, you should be able to initialize it and then format it.

The problem is that is does not show up in disk manager. I can only see my optic drive and my hard drive there. I can see that the ssd is connected in the bios and device manager.
  3. Sondr1 said:
    clutchc said:
    If it shows up in disk manager, you should be able to initialize it and then format it.

The problem is that is does not show up in disk manager. I can only see my optic drive and my hard drive there. I can see that the ssd is connected in the bios and device manager.

You called it Device Manager above. That is why I italicized Disk Manager. In case you were thinking them the same. If it doesn't show up in Disk manager, it may not be formatted or able to be initialized.
    Open a command prompt and type diskpart. Then type list disk. See if the SSD shows up.
  4. clutchc said:
    Sondr1 said:
    clutchc said:

You called it Device Manager above. That is why I italicized Disk Manager. In case you were thinking them the same. If it doesn't show up in Disk manager, it may not be formatted or able to be initialized.
    Open a command prompt and type diskpart. Then type list disk. See if the SSD shows up.

I tried that, only my hard drive showed up.
  5. Then the SSD either isn't working, the data cable isn't working, or there is something I'm missing to suggest you try. Maybe plug it into a different SATA header. Did the Samsung directions require something done first? Do they provide an app to run to prepare the drive?
  6. Best answer
    Ok I dont know why or how it got there but my i found the ssd under storage spaces in system and security -> storage spaces, and when i removed it from there it showed up in disk manager. So I was able to format it and now it works perfectly
  7. Sondr1 said:
    Ok I dont know why or how it got there but my i found the ssd under storage spaces in system and security -> storage spaces, and when i removed it from there it showed up in disk manager. So I was able to format it and now it works perfectly

this worked for me too!
  8. Win 10, you guys?
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD