AMD RX 400 series (Polaris) MegaThread! FAQ & Resources - page 2

1260 answers Last reply
  1. rumors go up to 1400 mhz or so for custom cards. but nothing specific has been released by anyone yet. leaked benchmarks seem to suggest a rather decent performance boost when oc'ed real high. that's all there is really until the cards are out. but promising enough that it's worth waiting to see what they can do before making a buying decision.
    Reply to Math Geek
  2. GamerNexus got the reference design to 1390MHz at about 190W. I guess with harvesting golden chips and an 8-pin connector, there MIGHT be clocks as high as 1450 in some custom models, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Also I expect that would only happen at a price point not interesting to me.

Any chance that AMD has put lower-binning chips in the reference design, knowing that it cannot overclock anyway because of the power limitations. They're keeping the good stuff back for the custom cards, which are all going to clock at 1500MHz and give NVidia a heart attack! :)
    Reply to Ags1
  3. their hybrid experiment was rather interesting and telling for what custom cards might be able to do. looks promising anyway.
    Reply to Math Geek
  4. The thing with custom cooled 480's that worries me is the price.
    I still think the 480 has to compete with the 970 and, at least in europe, the custom pre-overclocked 970's sell for just €230. Those 970's match the 980 when overclocked a bit further.

So either the custom 480's will not go crazy with the price or the gains form the overclock will surpass the 980.

I think in this regard the 480 indeed is a hard sell.
    Reply to TehPenguin
  5. Ags1 said:
    Are there any rumored or confirmed clockspeeds on the non-reference RX480s?

There was an ASUS Strix model shown on their website @1328mhz. Which is odd considering that was/is the maximum stable OC I've seen people getting online. This might change with better cooling and now that the card draws less from the slot.
    Reply to Martell1977
  6. better cooling and better power management as well will get better speeds in a more stable way. i'm sure mnay custom cards will have 8-pin power instead of 6 pin's like the reference card.
    Reply to Math Geek
  7. Once again, Nvidia has shown how good their marketing department are.

They have announced the pricing of their 1060 cards as $249/$299 to combat sales of the RX as there will be people on the fence on whether or not to buy an AMD card. This might just make them hold on to their cash for a little while until we see what the 1060 can do.

I'm hoping that AMD will have another driver ready for the 1060 launch that gives us another 3%.
    Reply to calken
  8. we just need amd's partners to hurry the frack up with the custom cards. if they were out and demonstrated the promise some better cooling and 8-pin power has for the cards, then it would be a non issue at the prices they announced for the cards.

but with custom cards still "coming soon" we are left guessing on all fronts, which leaves the door open for nvidia to come in with the 1060 and keep us all in suspense. i'm suggesting people wait for the custom cards and the 1060 to see what happens. it's just smart for the consumer to wait right now with nothing in stores to temp us.
    Reply to Math Geek
  9. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/powercolor-radeon-rx-480-devil-13-8192mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-188-pc.html

This is the card that was touted to me a month back as THE model too look out for.
    Apparently Powercolor mean business with this one & are after the big boy manufacturers crowns.
    'Expect close to 20% performance increase over the reference model' is what was quoted to me.

The price is overinflated because its pre-order , £225 should be the UK rrp.
    Reply to madmatt30
  10. 20% performance increase and a price under $250 US would be a really killer deal.

That said I'll believe it when I see benchmarks. But proof AMD is not out of the game just yet. Numbers will tell the tale
    Reply to Rogue Leader
  11. That PowerColor has a longer PCB than reference by a good inch or two. Does it mean they have better power delivery or something of the like? That is, if the picture being used is in fact the one for the card being announced/sold.

In any case, the "Devil" cards were dual GPUs as well, weren't they?

Cheers!
    Reply to Yuka
  12. Traditionally dual cards yes.

The photo isnt a site mockup, its info etc supplied from powercolor themselves , note the video outs (which coincide with 480 specs) & the fac its only a twin slot rather than the 3 slot dual GPU older models
    Reply to madmatt30
  13. Assuming a rough average clock of 1150MHz for the reference card, the PowerColor card would need an average clock of 1380MHz (and a memory OC too) to get 20% better performance. My concern is the card would be drawing well over 200W doing that. Admittedly it would be performing like a moderately overclocked GTX1060 at that point.

Rogue Leader, don't say AMD is out of the game yet. AMD is the only one with any pieces on the board so far. We'll see how the GTX1060 does in the real world soon enough. And whether it is actually available in meaningful quantities. Presumably from the same wafer size, AMD makes at least twice as many RX480s, even assuming none of the NVidia chips qualify as 1070s or 1080s.
    Reply to Ags1
  14. Ags1 said:
    Assuming a rough average clock of 1150MHz for the reference card, the PowerColor card would need an average clock of 1380MHz (and a memory OC too) to get 20% better performance. My concern is the card would be drawing well over 200W doing that. Admittedly it would be performing like a moderately overclocked GTX1060 at that point.

Rogue Leader, don't say AMD is out of the game yet. AMD is the only one with any pieces on the board so far. We'll see how the GTX1060 does in the real world soon enough. And whether it is actually available in meaningful quantities. Presumably from the same wafer size, AMD makes at least twice as many RX480s, even assuming none of the NVidia chips qualify as 1070s or 1080s.

I didn't say AMD was out (PS look at what GPU I have) I was responding to the posts saying that AMD is dead meat once the 1060 shows up. The proof will be in the pudding, the numbers. So we can;t make such declarations.
    Reply to Rogue Leader
  15. Sorry, I misread your statement as something like "It looks bad for AMD, but there is a slim hope the most extermely overclocked RX480s might compete with the GTX1060." I see now we are actually saying the same thing!

Anyway, I'm getting the RX480 mostly because of price. Hopefully some fast 4GB models will come out.
    Reply to Ags1
  16. the issue I have (in the uk at least) is the official pricepoint of the 1060 (& the 1070)
    nvidia's official rrp for the founders 1060 is 275 uk pounds - thats just plainly too much no matter how impressive it is technically.
    Its being touted as the ultimate mid range card but there is no way on that planet its at a mid range pricepoint imo.That is plainly a high end pricepoint.
    & in all honesty I personally expect to be underwhelmed when it finally dropped,like the 480 its been overhyped to the extent that people expect a game crushing 1440p gpu when its plainly going to be good for 1080p & nothing more -otherwise there would be absolutely no market for the 1070.
    Reply to madmatt30
  17. http://techreport.com/news/30370/doom-long-awaited-vulkan-support-is-rolling-out-today

I hope Toms has some goodies in this regard soon.

Cheers!
    Reply to Yuka
  18. did you see the bit about tomb raider adding some better dx 12 support including async and multi-gpu support. i look forward to some reviews on that. the one review i saw of course showed some decent gains for amd cards with async compute added. but the multi-gpu is supposed to be like AoS where it can handle different cards together. i look forward to some testing of that feature.

i sure hope this is a trend that continues and multi-gpu support becomes the norm.
    Reply to Math Geek
  19. I know it wont happen, but I'd love it if AMD were "sandbagging" nVidia for once. The 1060 comes out and the same day, AMD releases a driver that changes the 480's performance to not only match, but beat it. That would be funny, but odds of that are nil.
    Reply to Martell1977
  20. Did the Vulkan update on Doom for my RX 480, my minimum framerate went from 60 to 80, and averages now around 100. I didn't really notice a difference in how it played TBH but the numbers don't lie, it performs even better.
    Reply to Rogue Leader
  21. Rogue Leader said:
    Did the Vulkan update on Doom for my RX 480, my minimum framerate went from 60 to 80, and averages now around 100. I didn't really notice a difference in how it played TBH but the numbers don't lie, it performs even better.

Incredible gains! Wish more games used Vulkan.
    Reply to TehPenguin
  22. We're starting to get a fairly consistent pattern here... next gen api games get a meaningful boost on gcn, not on nvidia.

I think the reality of it is NV have been getting the full performance of their hardware out under dx11, whereas if you look at the theoretical performance of AMD cards they are consistent in that they sit lower in the rankings than you'd expect. Next gen apis look like they allow devs to tap into what's left.
    Reply to cdrkf
  23. Holy cow, that is a massive gain, Rogue Leader!

So it was not fumes and smoke that ASync brings tangible benefits to the table.

Cheers!
    Reply to Yuka
  24. Battlefield is AMD sponsored, right? Will it use Vulkan, too? Would be nice to see what other games will get the Vulkan API.

nVidia is also seeing some performance boosts with it so it's a win-win, it seems.
    Reply to TehPenguin
  25. https://youtu.be/Vg5hz7_X_Ss

Vulkan benchmarks in Doom ^^^^

Will test my R9 380X and see if it helps any.
    Reply to BurgerandChips66
  26. Looking at the RX480 as the next card for my 17 YO and the XFX OC seems pretty good ... albeit it is using the reference cooler.

When do the aftermarket coolers get released guys?

He has a GTX760OC at present ... so hoping the RX480 is a good upgrade for the price. They are about $440 AU here for the 8GB model ... I just don't like the clunky cooler.

This lad seems to know what he is doing ... so you can get some idea of the upper limit of the card too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq47qmwcus8
    Reply to Reynod
  27. Reynod said:
    Looking at the RX480 as the next card for my 17 YO and the XFX OC seems pretty good ... albeit it is using the reference cooler.

When do the aftermarket coolers get released guys?

He has a GTX760OC at present ... so hoping the RX480 is a good upgrade for the price. They are about $440 AU here for the 8GB model ... I just don't like the clunky cooler.

This lad seems to know what he is doing ... so you can get some idea of the upper limit of the card too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq47qmwcus8

Depends on where you live perhaps, but this week. Maybe even today for a couple of vendors.
    Reply to Embra
  28. Okay so I just tried Doom out with the Vulkan API enabled on my R9 380X rig. Played about 20 minutes on the Foundry level as that always seems to give the largest frame drops.

I set everything to Ultra with resolution at 1080p, AA = TSSAA X 8.

Graphics card was at factory settings, 1040MHz core and 6000MHz vram.

All I can say is WOW.....

Frame rates seemed to be hovering around the 90 mark most of the time.

At worst I saw it dip to 62 fps during a particularly heavy battle while looking towards the far end of the foundry (so draw distance was close to maximum and the molten metal streams were visible - this always made my fps tank before).
    But that was rare - it tends to go no lower than the 70's with Vulkan for the rest of the map when it does dip.
    Like I said earlier, it spends most of the time near 90. Some parts of the map can see it hit well over 100.

The monitor is 60Hz for my R9 380X rig so I finally set the fps to 60 and played a few minutes.... with a rock solid 60 fps and perfect frame times it felt fantastic.

All I can say is Vulkan rules!
  29. TehPenguin said:
    Battlefield is AMD sponsored, right? Will it use Vulkan, too? Would be nice to see what other games will get the Vulkan API.

nVidia is also seeing some performance boosts with it so it's a win-win, it seems.

AMD worked with DICE to get Mantle support in Battlefield 4. Since Vulkan is built with significant portions of Mantle in it, they really ought to be able to add Vulkan support to the Frostbite engine at some point. But there's no guarantee, maybe Microsoft will offer them a better deal focusing on DX12.

BF4 actually tends to run a little better on newer Nvidia cards than on competing AMD cards, by the way. So I wouldn't really call it AMD sponsored beyond the Mantle thing (and the bundle deals they did back in the day).
    Reply to Sakkura
  30. Sakkura said:
    TehPenguin said:
    Battlefield is AMD sponsored, right? Will it use Vulkan, too? Would be nice to see what other games will get the Vulkan API.

AMD worked with DICE to get Mantle support in Battlefield 4. Since Vulkan is built with significant portions of Mantle in it, they really ought to be able to add Vulkan support to the Frostbite engine at some point. But there's no guarantee, maybe Microsoft will offer them a better deal focusing on DX12.

BF4 actually tends to run a little better on newer Nvidia cards than on competing AMD cards, by the way. So I wouldn't really call it AMD sponsored beyond the Mantle thing (and the bundle deals they did back in the day).

Do you have the full ins and out of every and any deal or agreement between AMD and DICE? If so please share so that the rest of us can decide whether BF4 is actually sponsored by AMD or not.
    Reply to Mousemonkey
  31. Mousemonkey said:
    Do you have the full ins and out of every and any deal or agreement between AMD and DICE? If so please share so that the rest of us can decide whether BF4 is actually sponsored by AMD or not.

No. I specifically explained the background for why I wouldn't really call it sponsored by AMD at this point (with the implication of special sauce to run better with their hardware).
    Reply to Sakkura
  32. Battlefield 4 is an AMD Gaming Evolved title. At least judging by the logo on this page...
    www.amd.com/en-us/markets/game/featured/battlefield-4
    Reply to 17seconds
  33. Sakkura said:
    Mousemonkey said:

No. I specifically explained the background for why I wouldn't really call it sponsored by AMD at this point (with the implication of special sauce to run better with their hardware).

But it doesn't matter what (you) some random wants to call it if it's sponsored by AMD then it's sponsored by AMD, end.

17seconds said:
    Battlefield 4 is an AMD Gaming Evolved title. At least judging by the logo on this page...

Yeah, I've always wondered why that somehow makes it "not a fact"! :lol:
    Reply to Mousemonkey
  34. 17seconds said:
    Battlefield 4 is an AMD Gaming Evolved title. At least judging by the logo on this page...

Ah, so it is.
    Reply to Sakkura
  35. Sakkura said:
    17seconds said:

Ah, so it is.

And always has been, on it's release Mantle was the "big thing" and BF4 was the showcase.
    Reply to Mousemonkey
  36. Does anyone have any idea when the non-reference 480's will release, and what the price range should be on them?
    Reply to DeltaTaco
  37. Mousemonkey said:
    And always has been, on it's release Mantle was the "big thing" and BF4 was the showcase.

Yeah it's not like I just said that or anything...
    Reply to Sakkura
  38. Sakkura said:
    17seconds said:

Ah, so it is.

Sakkura said:
    Mousemonkey said:

Yeah it's not like I just said that or anything...

You didn't say that, from your post it's like you didn't know.
    Reply to Mousemonkey
  39. Mousemonkey said:
    You didn't say that, from your post it's like you didn't know.

Will you stop trolling? Go back and read my posts. I specifically stated AMD worked with DICE to get Mantle support in BF4.
    Reply to Sakkura
  40. I second that.

MouseMonkey your a known NVIDIA champion ... and you hate AMD.

Since this is an AMD thread then leave us poverty stricken midlevel gamers alone ... we don't have the big bucks.
    Reply to Reynod
  41. Sent a request to AMD regarding the release date for their third-party boards.

Also asked Don W.
    Reply to Reynod
  42. I have two AMD cards Rey, bought with my own money. So how does that make me a hater?
    Reply to Mousemonkey
  43. My dear MM, I think your issue is not with hate, but with blind love, haha.

Cheers!
    Reply to Yuka
  44. seems the 490 card model keeps popping up here and there. still pointing toward a dual 480 card according to those who like to guess on this sort of thing
    http://wccftech.com/amd-rx-490-mystery-4k-gaming-gpu-listed-sapphire/

i still think it's a viable option, especially with MS adding a new multi-gpu, easy to use, layer to dc 12 recently http://hexus.net/tech/news/software/94249-microsoft-makes-multi-gpu-support-easier-dx12-devs/
    Reply to Math Geek
  45. I watched a video on Youtube (AdoredTV or RedGamingTech) where it was speculated that it might be a dual GPU card based on the RX 480's Polaris 10, but would be configured in such a way as to work with some sort of hardware scheduler chip, effectively doing away with the need for Crossfire and it's problems as the card would appear to the system as a single GPU. A bit like a dual core CPU.

It's all speculation as a guy from AMD who was being interviewed was asked if the RX 490 would ever be released and a 'no comment' was the response!
  46. I don't think a dual 480 would be competitive on price enough against a 1070 (unless DX12 makes it amazing but it would be to early on release to do well based on this) so contrary to most rumours out there I am guessing its a dual 470 or an early vega without HBM. This is totally my personal guesstimate and I accept its likely wrong.
    The whole GTX1060 6Gb & 3gb being totally different cards is making me wander if there is some truth in the rumour about the next to release will never be a real card at retail, or at least its a stupid idea to confuse consumers. Its not like they are running out of numbers between 1000 & 1070.
    Reply to simon12
  47. it would compete with a 1080 not a 1070. it's being suggested as a 4k card and 1070 is not a 4k card.

at $500-550 reference prices it would be an awesome deal vs a 1080 even it does not match it 100% $600 or so for custom cards would be pretty ideal to me.
    Reply to Math Geek
  48. The only interesting bit from that leak/rumor posted in WTFBBQTech is the transistor count. It said "up to 18B". That is, if close enough to that number, twice the transistors the Fury has. We can start speculating on where it will land based on that with estimates of clock speed around 1.1/1.2Ghz base/turbo.

So, on a very superficial analysis, I would say it will put it just above the 1080, if not on par. If they manage to squeeze a bit more speed (Hz) out of it, it might put it ahead constantly. From what I remember, AMD's transistor count (translated into CUs), don't scale linearly, so 3X the amount should be 2.5X the RX480 (if not a tad less).

Please feel free to challenge/destroy this napkin estimate :P

Cheers!
    Reply to Yuka
  49. Yuka said:
    My dear MM, I think your issue is not with hate, but with blind love, haha.

Cheers!

Another preconceived misconception. :D

Anonymous said:
    I watched a video on Youtube (AdoredTV or RedGamingTech) where it was speculated that it might be a dual GPU card based on the RX 480's Polaris 10, but would be configured in such a way as to work with some sort of hardware scheduler chip, effectively doing away with the need for Crossfire and it's problems as the card would appear to the system as a single GPU. A bit like a dual core CPU.

It's all speculation as a guy from AMD who was being interviewed was asked if the RX 490 would ever be released and a 'no comment' was the response!

I see two things knobbling that sketch, power requirement and heat management.
    Reply to Mousemonkey
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

AMD Graphics GPUs Polaris Graphics Cards Radeon