Solved

New build, upgrade from 8.1 to 10, now it says I need to 'reboot and select proper boot drive'. And I can't access BIOS or my

Installed win 8.1 on fresh build, upgraded to win 10. Restarted pc to access BIOS to get my HDD to show up on my pc. After moving my drives in BIOS (SSD, HDD only), i attempted to reboot. Now my pc says reboot and select proper boot device. I can't figure out why it isn't working, and I can't access BIOS or my boot menu, no matter how much I spam f11/DEL on startup.

Im using MSI Z97S Krait Edition.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build upgrade reboot select proper boot drive access bios
  1. Best answer
    if hitting the right keyu to get into the bios del key then checking boot order you cant do turn the pc off. use the clear cmos jumper with the pc power unplugged from the wall. let the cmos drain for a few min. when you power back on the mb should say bios reset...hit del to reset settings. if your using a wireless keyboard also it may not turn on in time. see if someone has a wired unit.
  2. Hi,

If there are no such boot device it means that the boot priority is incorrect, i.e the wrong disk is selected as the first boot priority.

UEFI Hybrid Boot makes it very hard to get into the Bios Setup.

To be able to go around this and enter Bios Setup: You need to press [F2] directly (I think).
    Best Regards from Sweden
  3. Hi

If you cant get into BIOS to change the disk boot order
    You may be able to change boot order by swapping sata data cables on SSD & HDD

Once you are into Win 8 or 10 you can tell Windows to restart & go to UEFI (replacement for BIOS)
    or restart Windows in safe mode
    (hold shift key down while using mouse to select restart)

With both a SSD & HDD and especially if HDD previously had windows on it then SSD may not have Windows boot manager files on it.
    This requires disconnecting HDD and booting from Windows 10 (DVD or USB) to do a startup repair

regards
    Mike Barnes
  4. Thanks guys, going to try these out right now. Ill let you know what works.
  5. Quote:
    if hitting the right keyu to get into the bios del key then checking boot order you cant do turn the pc off. use the clear cmos jumper with the pc power unplugged from the wall. let the cmos drain for a few min. when you power back on the mb should say bios reset...hit del to reset settings. if your using a wireless keyboard also it may not turn on in time. see if someone has a wired unit.

So I found the CMOS pins, but no jumper is connected here. It is odd because on this MOBO it has two pins instead of three, so I'm assuming my jumper is supposed to be external and only used to short when necessary? Seems odd to not include that in the internals as those things seem pretty easy to lose, which it appears I have done. I read elsewhere I can try using a paperclip? Is that a good idea or should I find a jumper? Thanks in advance.
  6. So i just decided to use a flathead screwdriver and redownload windows 8.1. The problem i had initially was from upgrading from 8.1 to 10, and then my HDD not showing up in my computer. Im 100% sure it is plugged in (my BIOS acknowledges it). I want to wipe it so I can start fresh, can anyone help with that?

Edit: never mind, I believe i solved it. Thank you all!
Ask a new question

Read More

BIOS Boot Hard Drives