will my cpu work well with graphics card for a while

will a intel core i5 750 with a MSI GAMING GeForce GTX 970 4GB OC be good for gaming for a while with brand new games
9 answers Last reply
More about cpu work graphics card
  1. Should be fine, but the CPU will hold back the GPU for modern games. You might experience more latency spikes (stutter) than with newer CPUs like the i5 6500
  2. It is rather dated, at 1080p some games could be held back. if it were a K chip you could OC, but you are stuck with clock speed unless you try to boost the base clock.
  3. what motherboard and cooler would i use with a i5 6500
  4. Its certainly going to hold back a bit.

    You may want to look at the Haswell i5's and socket 1150 motherboards or go that little more and get the new Skylake so you wont have to upgrade again for at the very least 2 years.
  5. You will experience some bottlenecking because the cpu is not as strong as the gpu, but to answer your question, yes, that rig will work for you, you will be able to play your games at decent frame rates at 1080p, but again, the gtx 970 will not work fully due to the far outdated cpu.
  6. best cheap cooler would be a cooler master hyper 212 evo only if youre on a budget otherwise by a 240mm water cooler
  7. TheTaoBoy said:
    what motherboard and cooler would i use with a i5 6500


    For any upgrade worth your time you'll need a new CPU, motherboard, and likely memory too. In the case of non-K chips, don't bother getting a cooler. H110 motherboards are the cheapest, h170 is usually more than enough.
  8. basroil said:
    TheTaoBoy said:
    what motherboard and cooler would i use with a i5 6500


    For any upgrade worth your time you'll need a new CPU, motherboard, and likely memory too. In the case of non-K chips, don't bother getting a cooler. H110 motherboards are the cheapest, h170 is usually more than enough.


    What this guy is basically saying you'd better off ripping out the MOBO and put a decent board in with a newer i5.
  9. Wayfall said:
    basroil said:
    TheTaoBoy said:
    what motherboard and cooler would i use with a i5 6500


    For any upgrade worth your time you'll need a new CPU, motherboard, and likely memory too. In the case of non-K chips, don't bother getting a cooler. H110 motherboards are the cheapest, h170 is usually more than enough.


    What this guy is basically saying you'd better off ripping out the MOBO and put a decent board in with a newer i5.


    No, i literally meant that if taoboy wants a i5 6500, he NEEDS a new motherboard, and that h110 is cheap but h170 is also good. He CANNOT upgrade his cpu without a new board as well
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Graphics Cards