Solved

Sata M.2 SSD vs PCIe M.2 SSD

Hey fellas I was wondering about sth:
I've read up a bit on M.2 SSDs that utilise the PCIe connection on a mobo and how their performance/price differs from that of 'regular' M.2 SSDs that use Sata 3 connections ... So far I've read that with PCIe you can, in theory, reach read | write speeds as high as 2000 MB/s | 1200 MB/s, while in practice the numbers are still very high but not nearly as high as advertised, though still considerably higher than SSDs using Sata 3. But they are also terribly expensive and only available by a couple of brands like Intel, Samsung and Plextor (in Germany at least). Now assume you buy a small PCIe SSD unit with 128GB (due to the high price): Aside from even quicker Boot times, what applications and tasks would actually benefit from the difference towards a regular SSD that make it worth buying?
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about sata ssd pcie ssd
  1. Best answer
    Do not be much swayed by vendor synthetic SSD benchmarks.
    They are done with apps that push the SSD to it's maximum using queue lengths of 30 or so.
    Most desktop users will do one or two things at a time, so they will see queue lengths of one or two.
    What really counts is the response times, particularly for small random I/O. That is what the os does mostly.
    For that, the response times of current SSD's are remarkably similar. And quick. They will be 50X faster than a hard drive.
    In sequential operations, they will be 2x faster than a hard drive, perhaps 3x if you have a sata3 interface.
    Larger SSD's are preferable. They have more nand chips that can be accessed in parallel. Sort of an internal raid-0 if you will.
    Also, a SSD will slow down as it approaches full. That is because it will have a harder time finding free nand blocks to do an update without a read/write operation.

Everything is quicker with a ssd. Files open instantly, games load faster, you name it.
    Once you have a ssd, you will never go back.
    120gb is too small these days for a "C" drive. Look for 240gb.
    With today's prices, even 500gb.
    A conventional 2.5" ssd is as good as anything. More so if it allows you to buy a larger ssd.

And... boot time is no big issue if you use sleep to ram instead of shut down(not hibernate). The low power state is close to power off. sleep and wake should be 3-4 seconds.
  2. Ok all that again but so that an amateur like me can understand :D
    Example: Is it worth investing in a Samsung 950 Pro that utilises the PCIe connection over the Evo 850 that utilises the basic SATA 3 connection? And if so, which tasks would visibly benefit from the better performance of the 950 pro that make it worth the extra investment?
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD SATA