Solved

Cant set custom resolution on laptop, "exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity"

I just purchased an Asus Transformer Book TP500LB and is loving everything so far, the native resolution is 720p and when I try to set a custom resolution to 1080p via Intel Graphics Properties I get the error, "The custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity"

The built-in display is run by Intel HD 5500 graphics and the dedicated gpu is GT940m, as far as I know Nvidia cant do much about the custom resolution because there is no such option in the Control Panel, please help, thank you.

Specifications:
i5 5200u
Intel HD 5500/GT 940m 2GB
8gb ram
250gb ssd
Native 720p display
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about set custom resolution laptop exceeds maximum bandwidth capacity
  1. If the display is 720p YOU CANNOT USE ANYTHING HIGHER!

If you want a higher display resolution get a different computer or an external (hdmi) monitor.
  2. basroil said:
    If the display is 720p YOU CANNOT USE ANYTHING HIGHER!

If you want a higher display resolution get a different computer or an external (hdmi) monitor.

May I ask why is that? Shouldn't modern GPU(intergrated or not) be able to support 1080p? Or was this hard locked in the manufacturing process, if so why do they even bother including the settings
  3. Best answer
    ThatAngryMan said:

May I ask why is that? Shouldn't modern GPU(intergrated or not) be able to support 1080p? Or was this hard locked in the manufacturing process, if so why do they even bother including the settings

The GPU supports it just fine, it's your display that doesn't. Connect it to a 1080P TV or monitor and you'll see it works. The reason you have those options is specifically because it's a display issue and not a GPU one.
  4. basroil said:
    ThatAngryMan said:

The GPU supports it just fine, it's your display that doesn't. Connect it to a 1080P TV or monitor and you'll see it works. The reason you have those options is specifically because it's a display issue and not a GPU one.

sorry for asking so many questions, but cant the monitor downsample so it display higher res than its native's? if all external monitors can why can't it
  5. ThatAngryMan said:
    sorry for asking so many questions, but cant the monitor downsample so it display higher res than its native's? if all external monitors can why can't it

1) No
    2) No monitors do
    3) TVs only do it for HDMI etc. because their decode is separate from the display (in order to support TV formats without lower quality). Internally they support ONLY their native resolution
  6. basroil said:
    ThatAngryMan said:

1) No
    2) No monitors do
    3) TVs only do it for HDMI etc. because their decode is separate from the display (in order to support TV formats without lower quality). Internally they support ONLY their native resolution

they actually do, for example my 1080p monitor hooked up to a gtx 970 can display 1440p desktop mode via custom resolution, i just dont see a reason why my laptop cant
  7. ThatAngryMan said:
    they actually do, for example my 1080p monitor hooked up to a gtx 970 can display 1440p desktop mode via custom resolution, i just dont see a reason why my laptop cant

You probably used HDMI and likely only via DSR.

The internal connection does not support it because it's using a different communication method, likely eDP. Hell, even if you could, it'll actually look WORSE
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Bandwidth Resolution Intel