Solved

Reusing SSD in new PC build. Can I pre-install windows 10 and transplant it into the new machine?

I just finished placing an order for the parts for a new PC. My old PC was an old out of the box machine that I upgraded the old HDD to a solid state drive about a year ago. I'll be re-using the drive for the new machine, and I plan to install Windows 10 on it. My question is this: Do I need to wait until I have the new machine built to install, or can I do the install now on the old machine and get everything set up the way I want it and just transplant the drive once everything arrives for the new machine?
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about reusing ssd build pre install windows transplant machine
  1. Best answer
    If you upgrade your current system to Win 10, you'll need a new license when you attempt to move the SDD into the new system. You would be better off leaving alone for now and moving the SSD into the new config and then upgrading to Win 10.

The Win 10 upgrade works a lot like an OEM install of previous versions of Windows. The license is tied to the motherboard and is not transferable.
  2. COLGeek said:
    If you upgrade your current system to Win 10, you'll need a new license when you attempt to move the SDD into the new system. You would be better off leaving alone for now and moving the SSD into the new config and then upgrading to Win 10.

The Win 10 upgrade works a lot like an OEM install of previous versions of Windows. The license is tied to the motherboard and is not transferable.

Thanks for the quick reply. Exactly the reason why I was asking. Really appreciate it.
  3. You are most welcome. Good luck!

BTW, as your original system was "out of the box machine", is it using an OEM version of Windows? If so, you may still need to purchase a license for the new config. If it is an OEM license, you can still try moving it. MS may let you re-activate on the new hardware, or they might not.
  4. COLGeek said:
    You are most welcome. Good luck!

BTW, as your original system was "out of the box machine", is it using an OEM version of Windows? If so, you may still need to purchase a license for the new config. If it is an OEM license, you can still try moving it. MS may let you re-activate on the new hardware, or they might not.

I'm currently running an OEM version of Win7 on my machine. I did a clean install on the SSD when I got it and used the activation key that was on the side of the PC and reused the OS that it came with, and it worked fine. I've got a brand new copy of windows 10 sitting here on my desk that's going to be used in the new machine when everything arrives some time around Friday. I'll just put the old HDD back in the old machine and do a clean install of Windows 10 on the SSD and put it in the new machine.
  5. Have fun with the new build!
  6. COLGeek said:
    Have fun with the new build!

Thanks, I really appreciate it. This is the first time I've gone with something much beyond an out of the box build, so I decided to splurge a little.
Ask a new question

Read More

windows 10 SSD Build