Need gaming expert advice on upgrading current system vs New build

Hello! I'm a long time gamer with little knowledge on actual computers. I have mostly always used a hand me down office computer, operating my games with bare and mostly under minimum performance. I've been wanting to change that for a long time. What I want to do will be determined by the answers I get, which leads to the first question.

Here is the computer I'm currently using. What I will want to first understand is, *could* this be worth upgrading (and how) aka, what performance increase can I get for x amount of money right now, vs me determining if I'd rather save that money for future build (lets say with a budget of ~2000$ [not including all other accessories] within this year?). Also within that question, I'd like to understand if, for example, I could buy x component now, place it in current computer, and then finally use it in my end build. Obviously, I don't know what works that way and what doesn't).

HP Pavilion p7-1234

AMD Quad-Core A6-3650

8GB DDR3

AMD Radeon HD 6530D

What I'm trying to determine for myself is, do I spend some money to fix that if possible with the current pc, vs saving everything to invest later and just deal with it. I don't have all my funds available atm, but I do know that I could possibly afford maybe one or two good components right now.

Game wise performance for example, I must run Diablo 3 at the lowest settings possible, and can average 18 fps in combat, but with maximum players using abilities, I constantly spike 0-4 fps for a few seconds.

Thanks for any help and let me know if I could have formatted my post better.
6 answers Last reply
More about gaming expert advice upgrading current system build
  1. I just checked the detailed specs for your prebuilt PC and you don't really have much to upgrade on. Your motherboard only supports a handful of CPU upgrades and even THOSE are very old and very slow. You can buy a new GPU but your CPU will seriously bottleneck your system. I suggest saving up and buying a whole new rig. You can even choose how it looks like that way ;)
  2. I pretty much figured that would be the case, but would it be possible to get even like, a consistent 10 fps increase in my D3 experience for example? Or is that kicking a dead car...
  3. I believe D3 is more CPU intensive than GPU intensive so upgrading your CPU will help. However the choices you are limited to are very few due to your motherboard and these CPUs you are limited to are very slow (the fastest one is 2.9GHz and you want at least 3-4GHz). However even if you upgrade your CPU and motherboard your GPU will then bottleneck your performance. You really are better off buying a new rig bud. :( But if you wanna try the list of CPUs you can upgrade to are here: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03363664 Also i believe that you have an APU installed which means that your GPU is integrated into your CPU so you cannot upgrade your GPU separately.
  4. Crapcicle said:
    I believe D3 is more CPU intensive than GPU intensive so upgrading your CPU will help. However the choices you are limited to are very few due to your motherboard and these CPUs you are limited to are very slow (the fastest one is 2.9GHz and you want at least 3-4GHz). However even if you upgrade your CPU and motherboard your GPU will then bottleneck your performance. You really are better off buying a new rig bud. :( But if you wanna try the list of CPUs you can upgrade to are here: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03363664 Also i believe that you have an APU installed which means that your GPU is integrated into your CPU so you cannot upgrade your GPU separately.

keep in mind also if your going to upgrade your cpu mobo or hdd you might have to buy a new OS then when you do your final build you will have to buy a 2nd OS

less your just doing a GPU PSU adding a 2nd HDD ect
  5. You could rebuild your system, and reuse your ram, hdd, and dvd drive. I wouldn't throw money into that one.
  6. whats your budget now and what res will you run or want to run 1080 1440 4K ?
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers New Build