Solved

Monitor light keeps blinking, but no display

http://m.imgur.com/6BEL2fl
That just keeps blinking as in the picture, there is a no "no signal" sign on the monitor. I removed VGA cable from GPU, and it showed no signal. I tried putting the VGA both on CPU and GPU but nothing works, it just keeps blinking. I removed CMOS battery for a minute, and pressed the power button again, but the same keeps happening. What can I do? What's the problem?
Also, the CPU and GPU fans run as soon as I press power button. The DVD ROMs starts functioning as well.
It's just something with the monitor :/
Thanks in advance.
16 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about monitor light blinking display
  1. The image link is not working.

    Can you try with a different VGA cable? maybe a HDMI cable or DVI?

    Might also be worth double checking your monitor is on the right input.
  2. Alright, I'll try a new cable and see if something happens
  3. I tried another VGA cable which works on other PC, but still the same keeps happening.
  4. What if you remove the GPU from the system.

    Plug the monitor into the CPU graphics on the motherboard, this way we can rule out the GPU.

    (you might need to check inside the bios to ensure it's booting with intel graphics enabled. hopefully its automatic...)
  5. warhead0 said:
    What if you remove the GPU from the system.

    Plug the monitor into the CPU graphics on the motherboard, this way we can rule out the GPU.

    (you might need to check inside the bios to ensure it's booting with intel graphics enabled. hopefully its automatic...)


    Alrighty , please stay on if you can, I'll try it right now ;)
  6. I just did it and the monitor lights up well. :/
    What could be the problem?
  7. Either of these two things are the likely cause.

    Your GPU is dead.

    Your PSU is dying.

    I'm going to lean with the GPU is the cause of your troubles on this one.
  8. I have a spare GPU, let me see if that works. I think its the GPU as well.
  9. Yeah, you're most probably right. My GPU is dead probably. I have a spare 9500gt which overheats way too much.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2865505/gpu-overheating.html
    If you can help me with it, it'd be great. Currently, the 8400gs (which is probably dead) , its fan runs fine when I use it, could anything be done with it or it's just useless?
  10. Can only recommend some basic things like;

    giving it a good cleaning and removal of dust

    re-doing the thermal paste if you feel you messed it up.
  11. warhead0 said:
    Can only recommend some basic things like;

    giving it a good cleaning and removal of dust

    re-doing the thermal paste if you feel you messed it up.


    Alright, thank you! I've never did a thermal paste, how do we do it? Is there tutorials available? Plus, are all thermal pastes the same? The link that I Posted on the other post regarding overheating, would it do the job?
  12. It's very easy. and there are plenty of videos all over the internet to help you in a bit more detail.

    It's basically unscrewing some screws on the back of the GPU, gently removing the heatsink and shorud, and disconnecting the fans little pwm header.
    from here you do a bit of cleaning and dusting of the parts and fan too.
    Then clean the old dried thermal paste off, put a tiny dot of some new stuff
    Screw it all back together, plug the fans back in and it's good to go again.

    Most thermal paste is the same and can be used on the CPU/GPU, performance of the high quality paste is not a massive difference, 1-4C difference.

    It might also be worth while installing some extra overclocking software (MSI Afterburner), not for overclocking but to have better control of your fans speed, you can manually turn the fan right up to help with cooling, but at the cost of a noisy GPU.
  13. warhead0 said:
    It's very easy. and there are plenty of videos all over the internet to help you in a bit more detail.

    It's basically unscrewing some screws on the back of the GPU, gently removing the heatsink and shorud, and disconnecting the fans little pwm header.
    from here you do a bit of cleaning and dusting of the parts and fan too.
    Then clean the old dried thermal paste off, put a tiny dot of some new stuff
    Screw it all back together, plug the fans back in and it's good to go again.

    Most thermal paste is the same and can be used on the CPU/GPU, performance of the high quality paste is not a massive difference, 1-4C difference.

    It might also be worth while installing some extra overclocking software (MSI Afterburner), not for overclocking but to have better control of your fans speed, you can manually turn the fan right up to help with cooling, but at the cost of a noisy GPU.



    Thanks again, just ordered a thermal paste. Hopefully the insane '120°' will cool down. Thanks a lot :)
  14. Also, what's up with the downtime or something, you have to keep it aside after using thermal paste, in a video, someone said it could be 2 to 200 hours. :/
  15. Best answer
    Never heard of doing that, don't believe that garbage.

    the thermal paste is good to go, no waiting for it to 'set' or 'cure' or anything like that.
  16. warhead0 said:
    Never heard of doing that, don't believe that garbage.

    the thermal paste is good to go, no waiting for it to 'set' or 'cure' or anything like that.


    I got the paste after a couple of days, it didn't quite work, didn't really get time to reply earlier.
    The paste did not quite work, it indeed was applied properly, at the first boot the temperature was reduced to 90 Degrees Celsius which previously was around 120. But again, after like 5 minutes, it went up to 125 which just sucks. I think both of the cards are just useless now, right?
Ask a new question

Read More

GPUs Monitors