Old External HDD (Buffalo), Revs, Stops, Not accessible, Win7

I have a particularly old external HDD here (5+ years) that I am trying to access files off. I've read through a lot of Tom's threads but nothing getting me quite to the solution I need.

I'm connecting the hard drive to my desktop that has Win7 installed. The device revs maybe 10 times then 'settles' - It doesn't sound like its even spinning at all at this point. Green power led is still on though.

Windows has failed to recognise the device in 'My Computer' so I can't access any of the files.

While following other threads I have checked Disk Management and Device Manager.

What's interesting is that Device Manager is detecting the device fine - giving me some hope:

However if I go to Managerment - It looks worrysome. 'Disk 2' is supposed to be the Buffalo Drive:

I was trying to fix this exact problem months ago before giving up but I had a little success using a particular recovery software - it was able to detect and let me access the files of this particular drive - Any advice on a software that might let me do that again?

I've also been reading that Win7 has a lot of issues with external HDD's so is there some common way arround the non detected HDD problem?

I also have a rasp pi sitting arround do you think the file system of the raspbian would be better at finding this device?

Reading other threads I also read about connecting the drive directly to my mobo. Can I get some advice on specifically what type of cables I need for these connections?

9 answers Last reply
More about external hdd buffalo revs stops accessible win7
  1. If you haven't tired removing the hard drive from the enclosure and connecting it directly to some sata ports i would do that. You could have a possible USB adapter failing in there.
  2. Hi there drtweak,

It seems that you've done some decent troubleshooting.
    If the data stored on it is crucial, you may need to contact a data recovery company.

Apart from that, I would agree with drtweak and say that you can try taking the drive out of the enclosure in order to attach it internally. You will need both SATA and power cables.
    Keep in mind that this may not work if: 1) the drive is hardware encrypted 2) has proprietary connectors.

Cheers,
    D_Know_WD
  3. D_Know_WD said:

Apart from that, I would agree with drtweak and say that you can try taking the drive out of the enclosure in order to attach it internally. You will need both SATA and power cables.
    Keep in mind that this may not work if: 1) the drive is hardware encrypted 2) has proprietary connectors.

D_Know_WD

The data isn't crucial at all so I don't mind losing everything if it comes down to it.

Attaching it internally is something I want to try but I'm having difficulty at the moment. I was looking at my connectors inside my desktop but none of them seem to suit this drive. Then I see you mention proprietary connectors. I'm not exactly sure what that means but since a standard sata cable doesn't seem to work I'm confused.

Can you folks help identify the kind of cables I need for this? The image appears to have dissapeared from OP but I'll post it again :pfff:

4. Pull that off. You will then have the seperate SATA + Power connector
  5. drtweak said:
    Pull that off. You will then have the seperate SATA + Power connector

Thanks for the quick reply!

I've tried giving it a good tug but it's not coming off. It actually seems like it's soldered in place at these 4 points. I do have a soldering iron sitting around so if I get this off I should have standard connection spots?

EDIT:

Nevermind was being a fool. There was a couple of screws on the same board to remove the usb/ac part and reveal the SATA. So I hooked it up but still nothing. I also tried booting into BIOS and its not recognised there either - to be fair the 2tb internal HDD i have didn't show up either but it does work when desktops up and running.

Interestingly this drive is no longer visible in Device Manager or Disk Management.

Do you think this means it's RIP?

Or something else I can try. As I said there was a particular recovery software I tried once that recognised the drive and let me access the files but I can't for the life of me remember its name.
  6. Does it spin up at all? To me it sounds like its RIP though.
  7. After the drive is properly connected and not recognized by BIOS or Disk Management, then it is most probably dead.
    I doubt that you will be able to access it with software tools. :(

D_Know_WD
  8. drtweak said:
    Does it spin up at all? To me it sounds like its RIP though.

It still revs/spins about 6 times before it sounds like it stops which is what it was doing originally.

I guess I'll just let it die then.

Thanks for your help anyway.
  9. NP Man. Sorry for your loss! lol
Ask a new question

Read More

Device Manager Storage Devices External Hard Drive