Looking to buy a new 1080p, 24" monitor! Help!

It's about time I upgraded from my 22" Samsung SyncMaster, so here we go.

I'm fairly knowledgeable with monitors (if I do say so myself), but I'd like some other opinions on the best way to spend my money, as I'm not super-familiar with all the models out there. Just a note: I'm a bit partial to ASUS.

So I want to get into high-refresh rate gaming (I've tried 144Hz, but only for a small amount of time on a show demo), but at the same time really want an IPS panel. Unfortunately, as far as I know, there aren't any 1080p, 144Hz IPS monitors currently available (If there is, please, please, PLEASE let me know). I'm looking at the VG248QE (144Hz, TN) and the PA248Q (60Hz, IPS).

The VG248QE is a TN panel, but how is the color reproduction? Is it comparable to IPS? If not, is the 144Hz refresh rate a worth trade-off?

As for any other suggestions, I have a max budget of $250-$280, and am looking at these monitors on the Used market (eBay). Anything under $200 would be ideal. Take tax and shipping into account.

For reference, I am currently running an i5-4430, and two GTX 960 SSCs in SLI, with a plan to upgrade to 970s in SLI very soon.
4 answers Last reply
More about buy 1080p monitor
  1. RababNoor said:

I was looking into 24" 1080p monitors personally. At 27", the first two monitors wouldn't look great with only a 1080p resolution, that much I know, and that Acer monitor is 1440p, with a 60Hz refresh rate. Not what I'm looking for.

And that really isn't true. As it is, even my GTX 960s easily push 100+ frame rates in most games, and two 970s definitely won't falter either. I'm no slouch with hardware, I'm just looking for some advice on purchasing a monitor that's best for me.
  2. bran_donger said:
    RababNoor said:

I was looking into 24" 1080p monitors personally. At 27", the first two monitors wouldn't look great with only a 1080p resolution, that much I know, and that Acer monitor is 1440p, with a 60Hz refresh rate. Not what I'm looking for.

And that really isn't true. As it is, even my GTX 960s easily push 100+ frame rates in most games, and two 970s won't falter either. I'm no slouch with hardware, I'm just looking for some advice on purchasing a monitor that's best for me.

If you turn off the AAA settings, then you can get that fps with GTX 960. But you lost the Visual Experience that you can find in AAA settings on.
    * TN panel is not good at Color reproduction compare to IPS panel.
    If you wanna stick to TN panel ,then Asus VG248QE or BenQ XL2411Z
    Otherwise ASUS MX259H [IPS panel]
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=asus+mx259h&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ps
  3. RababNoor said:
    bran_donger said:
    RababNoor said:

And that really isn't true. As it is, even my GTX 960s easily push 100+ frame rates in most games, and two 970s won't falter either. I'm no slouch with hardware, I'm just looking for some advice on purchasing a monitor that's best for me.

If you turn off the AAA settings, then you can get that fps with GTX 960. But you lost the Visual Experience that you can find in AAA settings on.
    * TN panel is not good at Color reproduction compare to IPS panel.
    If you wanna stick to TN panel ,then Asus VG248QE or BenQ XL2411Z
    Otherwise ASUS MX259H [IPS panel]
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=asus+mx259h&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ps

I've already addressed any "issues" regarding graphics horsepower. I'm not lacking there for 144Hz.

This isn't answering my OP.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Monitors