Computer boots up, but doesn't show display

I just bought a new pc that came in today, and it boots up fine with all lights coming on and fans spinning, but won't show up on display. It doesn't have a vga but it does have dvi and hdmi, so I plugged in hdmi to a monitor that I know works because I tested it. I am not that good with wiring, so be aware of that. Thanks!
9 answers Last reply
More about computer boots show display
  1. Did you make sure the graphics card is plugged in all the way. It sounds like you bought a prebuilt system, so if you're comfortable opening it up I'd do that and make sure the GPU fans are spinning and it's seated all the way down. If you're not I'd call tech support *shudder* and ask.
  2. Tom Keenan said:
    Did you make sure the graphics card is plugged in all the way. It sounds like you bought a prebuilt system, so if you're comfortable opening it up I'd do that and make sure the GPU fans are spinning and it's seated all the way down. If you're not I'd call tech support *shudder* and ask.

    Ok I will try that, I'm a little afraid that I will get electrocuted or something or the liquid cooling will spill on me, but i'll probably be fine. Also it is seated under the motherboard, would that make a difference?
  3. Tom Keenan said:
    Did you make sure the graphics card is plugged in all the way. It sounds like you bought a prebuilt system, so if you're comfortable opening it up I'd do that and make sure the GPU fans are spinning and it's seated all the way down. If you're not I'd call tech support *shudder* and ask.


    Graphics card is fully inserted and seated safely, and fans are running normally. I forgot to mention the parts:
    6GB RAM
    i7 980 CPU
    R9 280x GPU
  4. Sorry I'm not sure what you mean by under the mother board. I'd recommend watching some youtube videos about computer building to figure out how everything goes together if you're unsure.
  5. Tom Keenan said:
    Sorry I'm not sure what you mean by under the mother board. I'd recommend watching some youtube videos about computer building to figure out how everything goes together if you're unsure.


    Sorry not under the motherboard, it's on the motherboard normally. But it still does not show up on the display, but I plugged in my phone and it charges, and my mouse led is on
  6. skittlewarrior17 said:
    Tom Keenan said:
    Did you make sure the graphics card is plugged in all the way. It sounds like you bought a prebuilt system, so if you're comfortable opening it up I'd do that and make sure the GPU fans are spinning and it's seated all the way down. If you're not I'd call tech support *shudder* and ask.


    Graphics card is fully inserted and seated safely, and fans are running normally. I forgot to mention the parts:
    6GB RAM
    i7 980 CPU
    R9 280x GPU

    Did you test the hdmi cable you're using. It could be deffective. Also is the cable plugged in all the way. If nothing else works you can get a dvi cable to test, it could be a dead hdmi socket.
  7. it could be the HDMI cable. I had the same problem with one of my hdmi cords, it got me mad for so long but after using a new hdmi cord it worked perfectly.
  8. Tom Keenan said:
    skittlewarrior17 said:
    Tom Keenan said:
    Did you make sure the graphics card is plugged in all the way. It sounds like you bought a prebuilt system, so if you're comfortable opening it up I'd do that and make sure the GPU fans are spinning and it's seated all the way down. If you're not I'd call tech support *shudder* and ask.


    Graphics card is fully inserted and seated safely, and fans are running normally. I forgot to mention the parts:
    6GB RAM
    i7 980 CPU
    R9 280x GPU

    Did you test the hdmi cable you're using. It could be deffective. Also is the cable plugged in all the way. If nothing else works you can get a dvi cable to test, it could be a dead hdmi socket.


    I am sure that it is not the hdmi as it works on other devices, it is completely plugged in. I think it may be that, but i'm also going to try reseating the ram.. thanks for the help
  9. Josue_ said:
    it could be the HDMI cable. I had the same problem with one of my hdmi cords, it got me mad for so long but after using a new hdmi cord it worked perfectly.

    I tried three different ones and they all worked on a different pc, so i'm pretty sure it's not the hdmi cord.
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Displays