Solved

What happens if i want to upgrade my system components?

Hi, So i just upgraded to windows 10 from Windows 8.1 OEM and i have just read that if one was to upgrade to Windows 10 in any way then the licence is tied to the system and not the user.

So my question is....what hardware components users can upgrade and change in their systems after installation of windows 10.
What If I want to add more RAM, Switch out non OS hard drives for larger capacity drives and even change and upgrade my GPU in future?

I know i want to upgrade my GPU in the next 1-2 years and also add more RAM and switch out my drive for a larger capacity drive within the next 6 months.

CPU and MOBO will not be changed.

I am just wondering if am i better off going back to W8.1 until i upgrade my system or will these component changes still grant me my free W10 upgrade use and not void the upgrade i currently have installed on my system.

Any advice is greatly appriciated

Thanks....
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade system components
  1. Dude dont worry about that at all. Windows 10 has NO effect on upgrading pc components... unless you switched out your harddrive or something and had to reinstall windows
  2. Motherboard is the only thing that will affect activation. Other hardware is irrelevant. Microsoft considers the motherboard and it's BIOS the "computer" and when those are changed, so is the hardware string. If you have a retail version of Windows that your purchased, or a Pro version, rather than an OEM version that was purchased or came with a prebuilt system, then you should be fine even if you upgrade the motherboard, same as it is currently with Windows 8.1.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2743436/buy-w10-key-buy-key-upgrade-difference.html
  3. vlxedits said:
    Dude dont worry about that at all. Windows 10 has NO effect on upgrading pc components... unless you switched out your harddrive or something and had to reinstall windows

What i am referring to is the windows 10 Q&A page where it states the following:

"Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?
    Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need a product key for re-activations on the same hardware. If you make a meaningful change to your hardware, you may need to contact customer support to help with activation. You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded."

and this:

"A post on answers.microsoft.com suggests that only those who have upgraded from OEM versions of Windows 7 and 8 will need to buy a new Windows 10 license after replacing a computer's motherboard. Those upgrading from a retail version of Windows 7 or 8, the post says, would be able to transfer their copy of Windows 10 to a new machine or PC with a new motherboard."

So whats classed as a meaninful change then, Just the MOBO?
  4. Best answer
    Ever since Windows 7, and including Windows 10, the Microsoft servers would have to see a different hardware ID string as determined by your motherboard bios, in order to reject your current activation. So yes, just the motherboard. I've never seen any other hardware change initiate the need for reactivation and don't expect to, nor will I, now.
  5. ^ Yep it's just the motherboard. If you change that then I suspect you can still activate Windows via the phone activation method.
  6. Thanks for the help, My copy of windows 8.1 was an OEM disc that i purchased when i bought all my other computer components for my build last year. This was my first build, hence my question in regards to windows licencing and hardware changes.:D

So all i should be concerned with in regards to windows licencing is if i change my Motherboard then i may run into issues, but everything else is uneffected and i am free to tinker with my computer at my hearts content.

darkbreeze said:
    Motherboard is the only thing that will affect activation. Other hardware is irrelevant. Microsoft considers the motherboard and it's BIOS the "computer" and when those are changed, so is the hardware string. If you have a retail version of Windows that your purchased, or a Pro version, rather than an OEM version that was purchased or came with a prebuilt system, then you should be fine even if you upgrade the motherboard, same as it is currently with Windows 8.1.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2743436/buy-w10-key-buy-key-upgrade-difference.html
  7. Chippee said:
    So all i should be concerned with in regards to windows licencing is if i change my Motherboard then i may run into issues, but everything else is uneffected and i am free to tinker with my computer at my hearts content.

In a word, YES.
Ask a new question

Read More

windows 10 Components