Upgrade or Replace my 2009 gaming PC? (core i7 920 build)

Hi guys.

I'm wondering if I should upgrade, or replace my 2009 gaming computer. It is getting to where I can't play any modern games with demanding graphics. (Ark Survival, FarCry, etc) It was fine for games like Counterstrike, World of Warcraft, etc.

Here are the specs:
Mother Board: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboardhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131365

CPU: Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield Quad-Core 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W BX80601920 Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202

HDD: Western Digital Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284

RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145224

GPU: EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130434

Case: COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Casehttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137

Power Supply: COOLER MASTER UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171032


I know that the graphics card is definitely my weakest link, and it wasn't even top-of-the-line in 2009 when I built this PC. Now it seems like it can't handle modern games.

I know, at the very least, the graphics card has to be replaced.

Question:
Would I be much better off upgrading to a newer processor/RAM/mobo, or simply replacing ONLY the graphics card?
11 answers Last reply
More about upgrade replace 2009 gaming core 920 build
  1. I would replace the GPU and get 8 gb RAM. Then in 1 year or 2 I would keep that same GPU and upgrade the rest. But this is only my personal opinion. Also depends how you are doing on money at the moment.
  2. I say replace. This close to skylake, I would wait, on CPU/MB/Ram swap, though. Once AMD's Fury comes out, then I would decide on graphics card.
  3. bjsm said:
    I would replace the GPU and get 8 gb RAM. Then in 1 year or 2 I would keep that same GPU and upgrade the rest. But this is only my personal opinion. Also depends how you are doing on money at the moment.


    The OP's system is triple channel, they would need to upgrade to 12gb.
  4. logainofhades said:
    bjsm said:
    I would replace the GPU and get 8 gb RAM. Then in 1 year or 2 I would keep that same GPU and upgrade the rest. But this is only my personal opinion. Also depends how you are doing on money at the moment.


    The OP's system is triple channel, they would need to upgrade to 12gb.


    Roger that!
  5. FYI... I recently overclocked the 920 to 4.0ghz, and it made the entire system run noticeably quicker, and helped a bit with gaming.

    If I replaced the graphics card only.... would this be a "decent" or "good" gaming PC for 2015?
    What kind of graphics card should I be looking at?

    You mentioned Ati Fury in this thread, but I've been hearing great things about the Nvidia GTX 970/980s.
  6. I mention Fury, because it could affect pricing enough to force Nvidia to drop prices on some of its higher end cards, if the price/performance is there. Your system would still be decent with a GPU upgrade. Definitely do that first. If still not enough performance, to your liking, skylake will be out in August. Fury will be out this week.
  7. Ok. So you're suggesting to get the GPU now, or wait for Fury? That was what confused me.

    I kind of need SOMETHING now, because I can't even run the games I want to play very enjoyably. I would lean today towards a GTX 970, but I'm not sure how future-compatible that would be with a next-gen computer.

    What would the upgrade path from the GTX 970 be? 2 970s, or 980, etc?
  8. Wait for Fury. It is set to release on the 24th, which is only a couple days. GTX 970 is a fine card, and will last a good while. Nvidia won't have their next gen cards out till sometime next year.
  9. logainofhades said:
    Wait for Fury. It is set to release on the 24th, which is only a couple days. GTX 970 is a fine card, and will last a good while. Nvidia won't have their next gen cards out till sometime next year.


    As a related question.... how much faster would a modern i7 processor be than my overclocked 920? I'm just wondering if anyone has actually tried to benchmark or compare such a thing.

    i7 920 OC'd to 4.0 ghz vs. i7 4790k Devil's Canyon @ 4.0 ghz?

    Would I actually notice any difference during gaming?

    This is a very noob question, since they are both i7s, and clocked at 4.0 ghz.
  10. Oh, you will notice a difference but upgrade just the GPU for now. Fury this week, Skylake in a few months...hizzah!
  11. utgotye said:
    Oh, you will notice a difference but upgrade just the GPU for now. Fury this week, Skylake in a few months...hizzah!


    More like less than 2.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming PCs