low gpu usage on gta v, am i cpu limited?

http://s25.postimg.org/6j2ob2rjv/2015_04_16_00001.jpg

im running

i7 3820@4.3
780ti sli
4x4 gskill 2133
asrock extreme 9
and a rog swift 2560x1440

in that moment i had something between 75 and 80 fps with the game almost maxed out but without msaa, just fxaa

if you see the gpu usage is around 70%
it never goes to 99% like when im running unigine heaven (a bench that use just gpus)


is it normal for the game or am i cpu limited?
your pc is using 99%?
17 answers Last reply
More about low gpu usage gta cpu limited
  1. If you are getting good fps in the game I would not worry about it.

    It might be a gpu defect though
  2. sure, but i was wondering what would happen if i buy a 3930k or a 4930k, if i would have 99% gpu usage.... i tryed to monitor the cpu and it says 40/70% of cpu usage...
  3. oZonoRobotics said:
    sure, but i was wondering what would happen if i buy a 3930k or a 4930k, if i would have 99% gpu usage.... i tryed to monitor the cpu and it says 40/70% of cpu usage...

    I would highly doubt it. It could be possible but to me it just seems like it would not.
  4. Same here, with a i5 3570 and an r9 290. My GPU is sitting around 75% and at times actually going down to 40% usage. Definately a CPU bottleneck with my CPU sitting at 100%.

    It may be a good time to upgrade but our CPU's are no slouches and for now I'm pointing at problems with GTA 5 itself. Let's wait for a few patches first ;)
  5. GTA is a very CPU heavy game, because the CPU is keeping track of all the people and cars and random junk on the street.

    You could try lowering some of the population density settings and see if that allows your GPUs to work harder.
  6. Same here. I have a FX8320 with 770 2gb sli. Both cards stay at 50/40% and when i turn sli off the card stays 90% at the beginning and after a few minutes of work it drops down to 50/40%. The cpu stays at about 80/90%. Any suggestions ?
  7. ok guys... i have to plan to buy a used 4930k (on 2011 socket i cant buy nothing else)...

    thanks all to your answers :D
  8. oZonoRobotics said:
    ok guys... i have to plan to buy a used 4930k (on 2011 socket i cant buy nothing else)...

    thanks all to your answers :D


    You're gonna need new ram for that I think.
  9. why? and which ram you think suits a 4930?
  10. oZonoRobotics said:
    why? and which ram you think suits a 4930?


    Oh nevermind, thought it was a haswell-e processor, just make sure to get a x79 board.

    Although maybe you should considering the price differences between the processors >_>
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117402
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116939
  11. yes yes, i have already an asrock extreme 9 x79...

    i saw the 5820k but its rev 3

    my mobo can run just rev 2... so im committed on a 4930k

    i saw that u can find a 4930k for 375 euro here in italy (used)

    i didnt want to spend that money to be honest
    even coz i was planning to buy a new mobo next year (with skylake cpu)

    but no point to stay like this till february/april of next year
  12. I am also having this problem in GTA V with my R9 280x and overclocked FX 8350 (Which is the reccomended CPU) so it is not a bottleneck its a gta v problem.
  13. i have the same problem with several games, lords of fallen first, there i've got 50/60% of gpu usage

    so i think that sandy bridge (specifically 3820) is not good enough to manage a sli...

    if i upgrade to a 4930k maybe i will still not get any boost from from the 6 cores but the architectures (ivy bridge) seems to manage better sli configurations

    if i run gta5 with one card i get 99% of gpu usage

    and the proof that im bottlenecked from the cpu is that the only way to have 97/99% of gpu usage is to run unigine heaven, a bench that isolate gpus
  14. New GTA5 patch just released on PC.

    I played and tested my settings, Maxed the game 60fps. GPU sitting at 90-100% usage and CPU 75-90% usage. Also stuttering fixed.
    I5-3570 and R9 290.

    Try the New patch first, it fixed some optimisations and bugs.
  15. or steam downloaded the patch and i didnt see it (then i turn off steam and the downloaded list went lost), or i dont have any patch! :S

    i was doing some tests running the cpu to 3.6mhz to 4.3mhz and i get 5/8 fps... so its the cpu 100%
  16. oZonoRobotics said:
    or steam downloaded the patch and i didnt see it (then i turn off steam and the downloaded list went lost), or i dont have any patch! :S

    i was doing some tests running the cpu to 3.6mhz to 4.3mhz and i get 5/8 fps... so its the cpu 100%


    Possibly your CPU will hold back 2 780 ti's. However you still should be able to MAX the game easily even when bottlenecked. Apparently when the game is running the actual launcher chewed up CPU and with the patch it's fixed.
    Also Although some people benefited from the patch and some actually got less performance.

    Well give it a few weeks and it'll probably be all fixed up.... ugh why is it so hard to release a fixed game cough* BF4.
    It is possible Shadow of Mordor did it.
  17. James Mason said:
    GTA is a very CPU heavy game, because the CPU is keeping track of all the people and cars and random junk on the street.

    You could try lowering some of the population density settings and see if that allows your GPUs to work harder.


    Anonymous said:
    New GTA5 patch just released on PC.

    I played and tested my settings, Maxed the game 60fps. GPU sitting at 90-100% usage and CPU 75-90% usage. Also stuttering fixed.
    I5-3570 and R9 290.

    Try the New patch first, it fixed some optimisations and bugs.


    Hmm, I cant get my gpu usage to stay anywhere near 90%. Of course, Im on the 8350. Going to go back and tinker around more. Lower population density and see if the gpu starts to work harder
Ask a new question

Read More

GPUs Intel i7 CPUs Graphics Cards Gaming