Bought a new r9 280x by vision tek. monitor goes into sleep mode on boot.

I recently got a AMD fx 6300 plug it in. and it works great. I order my r9 280x plug it in and my monitor goes into sleep mode. on start up. keyboard/ mouse doesnt light up either. I've tried clearing c mos taken all my parts out and in. Everything is inserted securely. I'm installing new drivers right now if that will do anything. i'm trying AMD omega catalyst drivers. My old 7770 works fine and i'm using it right now to type this. does any one have some tips for me? I'm really confused. my MOBO is an MSI 990fxa GD80v2 8 gb ram. 700 watt corsair GS 700 PSU.
8 answers Last reply
More about bought 280x vision tek monitor sleep mode boot
  1. I think it is because the system isn't actually reaching boot.
  2. Remove the graphics card and try to boot to the integrated graphics.
  3. terry4536 said:
    Remove the graphics card and try to boot to the integrated graphics.

My MOBO does not have integrated graphics sadly. I think you're right about the boot part its detecting an error. Im currently hooked up to my old radeon 7770 right now. and all is working fine.
  4. My first guess is that the power supply is inadequate for the new GPU. Corsair power supplies have rally gone down in quality. I don't recommend any them of the apart from their high end PSU's
  5. terry4536 said:
    My first guess is that the power supply is inadequate for the new GPU. Corsair power supplies have rally gone down in quality. I don't recommend any them of the apart from their high end PSU's

Are you sure? it runs my 7770 fine. the fans all spin on the GPU as well.
  6. Try another power supply if possible. The R9-280X has a system requirement of a 750 watt power supply.
  7. terry4536 said:
    Try another power supply if possible. The R9-280X has a system requirement of a 750 watt power supply.

I've already sunk near 500$ into this. Im not sure I can sink more on a chance of this fixing my issues.
  8. A HD 7770 requires much less power to run than the R9-280X.
Ask a new question

Read More

Sleep Mode Monitors Graphics