3570K Overclocked to 4.5GHz stable? Temps ok? Please HELP!!!

SPECS:

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77V-PRO
CPU: I5 3570K OVERCLOCKED TO 4.5GHZ (1.192v @ MAX)
Cooler: Corsair H100i (Just got today and installed today)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1866MHz 9-10-9-27
Video Card: PNY Nvidia GTX 770 2gb Factory OC
Case: Thermaltake Core V71
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W
Hard Drives: PNY 256 GB XLR8 PRO SSD
Crucial MX100 512 GB SSD

Below is the screen capture I took after running Prime95 for an hour


I also had a question. Never overclocked an Intel CPU...(But I've done a bunch of video watching and web searching before I started) On windows it shows 3.40GHz
In my bios, it doesn't show 4.5GHz, it shows 3.4GHz. It only shows 4.5GHz in the AI Tweaker in yellow that says synchronizing target CPU turbo mode speed. But on CPU-Z as you see in the screen capture, its at 4.5GHz. Why is that? I know on my AMD rig, when I overclock it; it shows in Windows as 4.0GHz @ 4.5GHz. Am I doing something wrong? Thank you!
39 answers Last reply
More about 3570k overclocked 5ghz stable temps
  1. Any help on this please? Been running for the past couple days. Normal usage (gaming) temps hit about almost 60c. Normal temps?
  2. 60c is a little high by you should check to see with in recommended optimal use for the specific processor. Cpu-boss said up to 67.4c. i had this processor before i moved to an I7 with a d92, and ran all the time flat out 4.4 with a stock cooler. the I5 3570K (Will overclock like a bat out of hell) now that is don't use it i am debating build another pc around it because of it stability.
  3. h2tahoe said:
    60c is a little high by you should check to see with in recommended optimal use for the specific processor. Cpu-boss said up to 67.4c. i had this processor before i moved to an I7 with a d92, and ran all the time flat out 4.4 with a stock cooler. the I5 3570K (Will overclock like a bat out of hell) now that is don't use it i am debating build another pc around it because of it stability.


    Ummm okay. 60c is high? Hmmmm that sucks. I don't have the money to build another PC right now. I just want to make sure my PC is running ok right now. Thanks for your input though.
  4. So I ended up reseating my cooler. Found that the stock thermal compound on the Corsair H100i did not spread all across the CPU... For some odd reason. And I know I tightened in a star pattern.. So I reapplied thermal paste and right now I idle at about 30c, some core(s) below, and during gaming it gets to about 50c and some cores below 50c around upper 40c's. Not sure if that is normal. I ordered some Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound and am awaiting for it to arrive. Not sure if I should try reseating the entire unit (except for the radiator of course) when I get my new Arctic Silver 5. Any thoughts?
  5. I don't think the temps are a whole lot different from ivy bridge to haswell regarding what's a safe limit. It doesn't become questionable for 'safe' until it reaches upper 70's to 80c. 60c should be just fine. The temps obtained with prime95 will almost always be higher than real world load temps (such as gaming) since it's a synthetic stress test meant to replicate 'worst case scenario'. It's common to hit 70-75c in prime95 and yet only be at 60-65c during intense gaming. Considering you're now hitting below 60c while gaming you're well within safe temp ranges.
  6. synphul said:
    I don't think the temps are a whole lot different from ivy bridge to haswell regarding what's a safe limit. It doesn't become questionable for 'safe' until it reaches upper 70's to 80c. 60c should be just fine. The temps obtained with prime95 will almost always be higher than real world load temps (such as gaming) since it's a synthetic stress test meant to replicate 'worst case scenario'. It's common to hit 70-75c in prime95 and yet only be at 60-65c during intense gaming. Considering you're now hitting below 60c while gaming you're well within safe temp ranges.


    Hello Synphul. Thank you very much for your reply! I completely agree with you. I haven't ran Prime95 after reseating the cooler even though I probably should just to see what my temps are. After reseating and reapplying thermal paste, temps are a lot better. The only thing is, when I did research for the past couple days, it seems like my temps are a little higher than what others have posted on this forum as well as others. I read that adding washers help (which I'm not going to do), delidding (not going to do), and also remounting. I've already reseated the cooler once already. During the reseating process, I saw that the original thermal compound that was on the H100i was not all over my CPU. Maybe about almost half didn't have thermal paste. I was planning this time to remove the cooler and reseat the backplate as well. Apparently, some people recommend pushing down on the backplate while screwing on those screws for the bracket to be in place before putting on the cooler and screwing in the thumb screws. I double checked yesterday to make sure that the cooler and heatsink don't move around after installation and its definitely secure. I always install the cpu coolers with the star method. But I am currently wondering if I should remove the cpu cooler and bracket, and install it fresh. My temps are good but are they supposed to be lower? I've seen some people state that their OC'ed i5 only reaches 50c when running Prime 95. Thanks again for your input!
  7. You also have to remember that the same model of cpu can vary from one physical chip to another depending on what people refer to as the chip lottery or binning lottery. They're manufactured within a tolerance 'range' so one person may be able to overclock to 4.6ghz while another may only be able to overclock to 4.4 or 4.5ghz (just using theoretical, these numbers are likely more accurate for haswell than ivy bridge). Also some people who overclock may be able to do so at 1.24v for the vcore while others it may take 1.34v to achieve the same things. All with varying temperatures, all on the same exact cpu model just due to manufacturing tolerances.

    In other words, it's not a direct or finite science. Just because user xyz has the same cpu and cooler doesn't mean you should get exactly their temps. You might get close, a little better or a little worse, but close. No one can make a chart saying a 3570k overclocked to 4.5ghz will obtain exactly 55c under load with the h100i, it's just not possible. More realistic would be saying all other things being equal and with a decent binned cpu, chances are you should be in the 50-60c range and that's acceptable for that setup.
  8. You'll find that when it comes to pushing the limits and going for records, your pro overclockers don't just buy a random cpu, overclock it and set a record or get amazing results. Maybe if they got extremely lucky the first time around. Many will go through several of the same cpu model using different physical chips until they get a fantastic one (aka cherry picked).
  9. synphul said:
    You also have to remember that the same model of cpu can vary from one physical chip to another depending on what people refer to as the chip lottery or binning lottery. They're manufactured within a tolerance 'range' so one person may be able to overclock to 4.6ghz while another may only be able to overclock to 4.4 or 4.5ghz (just using theoretical, these numbers are likely more accurate for haswell than ivy bridge). Also some people who overclock may be able to do so at 1.24v for the vcore while others it may take 1.34v to achieve the same things. All with varying temperatures, all on the same exact cpu model just due to manufacturing tolerances.


    Holy crap... Why didn't I think of that lol... I do know about the whole chip lottery or binning lottery. I completely see what you mean... I mean, if you state my temps are good at this time; I may not reseat again. I was just gonna try one last time by removing the bracket and cpu cooler this time and putting everything back together just to ensure its all correct and see if I am getting better temps. But if you are stating that my temps are normal or good, then I may just skip that... Currently I believe my V core is set to 1.85v. Idling at about 30c and lower and goes up to about 50c and lower while playing Diablo 3 for half of the day. I alt tab to check temps every so often to make sure everything is good. Would you say that is good temps? Would you recommend to remove the cpu block and mounting bracket and do it from scratch? Sorry for asking these "dumb" questions and asking for advice but to be completely honest, this is my very first water cooler and I don't know what I am supposed to expect as far as temps go...
  10. synphul said:
    You'll find that when it comes to pushing the limits and going for records, your pro overclockers don't just buy a random cpu, overclock it and set a record or get amazing results. Maybe if they got extremely lucky the first time around. Many will go through several of the same cpu model using different physical chips until they get a fantastic one (aka cherry picked).


    I did not know that lol. I just thought they get a golden chip sent to them or something lol. That makes sense!
  11. You may want to check your vcore either in bios or with a program like hwinfo64. That vcore sounds really high to me. Maybe it's the vrin? Usually safe vcore limits are around 1.4 or lower.

    I'm sure if it's a world competition a really well known overclocker like hicookie or one of those elite oc'ers might be sent premium cherry picked hardware from their sponsors. That's a real niche group though.
  12. synphul said:
    You may want to check your vcore either in bios or with a program like hwinfo64. That vcore sounds really high to me. Maybe it's the vrin? Usually safe vcore limits are around 1.4 or lower.

    I'm sure if it's a world competition a really well known overclocker like hicookie or one of those elite oc'ers might be sent premium cherry picked hardware from their sponsors. That's a real niche group though.


    I feel stupid as hell right now.. I meant 1.185v lol! Not 1.8v... Sorry! Mistyped it lol. The max it goes to under load is 1.2v that I've seen. So do you think everything is good to go and just enjoy using my computer? I don't want to shorten the life span by having crappy temps or bad overclock... Or should I do what I stated, take the cpu block off the cpu, take the bracket off the motherboard, and remount everything. Thanks again!
  13. Yea I mean seriously unless you're going for extreme overclocks or something, everything seems to be well within where it should be. No worries, better a typo than actually a 1.8 vcore (likely a toasted cpu at that point lol). If your temps were 75-80 gaming or voltages were 1.4+ then I'd be concerned about shortening the life of the processor. If you remount everything you're liable to get about the same, maybe 1 degree better (or worse) than where you're at. The first remount you did seemed to correct any thermal paste/mounting issues. I'd just enjoy it the way it is, but that's me.

    It can be worth it for those who make overclocking a hobby, they enjoy fiddling with things and getting the last drop of performance they can out of something and truly enjoy the method of getting there. If you're more about using your pc for other things, games and whatever, it's not worth making it into a headache worrying about potentially 100-200mhz higher speeds that likely won't be noticeable now that you've reached 4.5ghz in any real world applications. As speeds increase, everything becomes incrementally smaller. 100mhz speed increase in terms of a cpu running 4.5ghz is going to be splitting hairs - where it might make a difference is a 500mhz cpu. The same 100mhz speed bump becomes increasingly insignificant the faster the processor is.
  14. synphul said:
    Yea I mean seriously unless you're going for extreme overclocks or something, everything seems to be well within where it should be. No worries, better a typo than actually a 1.8 vcore (likely a toasted cpu at that point lol). If your temps were 75-80 gaming or voltages were 1.4+ then I'd be concerned about shortening the life of the processor. If you remount everything you're liable to get about the same, maybe 1 degree better (or worse) than where you're at. The first remount you did seemed to correct any thermal paste/mounting issues. I'd just enjoy it the way it is, but that's me.

    It can be worth it for those who make overclocking a hobby, they enjoy fiddling with things and getting the last drop of performance they can out of something and truly enjoy the method of getting there. If you're more about using your pc for other things, games and whatever, it's not worth making it into a headache worrying about potentially 100-200mhz higher speeds that likely won't be noticeable now that you've reached 4.5ghz in any real world applications. As speeds increase, everything becomes incrementally smaller. 100mhz speed increase in terms of a cpu running 4.5ghz is going to be splitting hairs - where it might make a difference is a 500mhz cpu. The same 100mhz speed bump becomes increasingly insignificant the faster the processor is.


    Yeah you know what. You are absolutely right. Yeah if it was 1.8v I think my tower would've melted lol. So I listen to your suggestions. I just said forget it as far as the remount concern. I just finished playing Diablo 3 for about an hour and the highest temp on one of the core's is 52c, one is 51c, one is 50c, and the other is 44c. I'm going to install Battlefield 4 and see what temps I get there. As far as performance goes, I complete understand what you mean. I'm not a hardcore overclocker by any means. I just did it because I was told it'd be cool to do it and since I got a water cooler, why not? Especially if what your stating is correct (not shortening the life span of anything), might as well keep everything the way it is and just use it. I'm planning to upgrade at the end of the year anyways... To an i7 and new motherboard. So might as well just enjoy what I have now. I hope I can run all the games that comes out this year... Cause if not, that'd suck... Any thoughts on what I should upgrade to at the end of this year? I was looking into an i7 and maybe some DDR4 memory. I don't have a estimated amount as to how much I have, gotta talk to the wife for finance first lol. But any suggestions are welcome! And I have a GTX 770 2gb OC, I was thinking about either SLIing that card or buying a completely new card; any thoughts? Thank you!
  15. Unless games start suddenly coding for more than 4 cores (which I doubt), there probably won't be any reason to move to an i7. The use of hyperthreading or going with lga 2011 and a 6-8 core i7 (aka very expensive) is for more intensive tasks like video encoding, modelling, 3d cad work, rendering etc. There's not much improvement (if any in most games) going from an i5 to an i7. Definitely not for the price increase. Ddr4 also won't likely improve gaming any over ddr3. To be honest, if someone handed you an i7 on an x99 with ddr4 ram right now I highly doubt you'd notice any difference - maybe 3-5fps unless it was a very specific game that was out of the ordinary and then you might notice an 8-10fps increase.

    As far as sli, I'm really not sure since I haven't messed with it personally. It does add some performance in terms of fps but I think it's generally around 20-30%. As far as I know, the vram doesn't double up (say both cards have 2gb vram, you're still only getting 2gb vram). Some people have had luck with sli (or crossfire with ati), many have fought headaches with it. Which is why unless you have a large resolution spanning multiple monitors and wish to play at high/ultra settings, it's better just to get a single better performing card than sli two smaller ones. Getting sli to work properly takes some fiddling and not every game handles it the same. Some games have no problem, others require all sorts of patches or software adjustments to get the kinks out and can cause stuttering and other issues.

    I don't think you'll have issues with games this year, if anything I would attribute it to the gtx 770 before I would the cpu.

    Here's a look at some game benchmarks. (Also keep in mind this is current hardware, by the end of next year new products will have hit the market so this could change things).

    gtx 770 vs gtx 970
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1037?vs=1355

    gtx 770 sli vs single gtx 970
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1064?vs=1355

    gtx 770 (what you have) vs 770 sli (what you'd get if you doubled it up - also may require a bigger psu depending what you're running)
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1064?vs=1037

    As you can see, crysis, bioshock and grid2 would benefit from sli. Company of heroes 2, total war: rome 2 not so much. Again these are just a handful of games but it shows how random games can perform quite differently.

    Going back to the ddr4 scenario on an x99 motherboard while it does have higher overall pcie x16 lanes for more bandwidth it really wouldn't be a bottleneck in your system until you sli'd say 3-4 gtx 970 or 980's. That's where the extended pcie lanes come into play.
  16. synphul said:
    Unless games start suddenly coding for more than 4 cores (which I doubt), there probably won't be any reason to move to an i7. The use of hyperthreading or going with lga 2011 and a 6-8 core i7 (aka very expensive) is for more intensive tasks like video encoding, modelling, 3d cad work, rendering etc. There's not much improvement (if any in most games) going from an i5 to an i7. Definitely not for the price increase. Ddr4 also won't likely improve gaming any over ddr3. To be honest, if someone handed you an i7 on an x99 with ddr4 ram right now I highly doubt you'd notice any difference - maybe 3-5fps unless it was a very specific game that was out of the ordinary and then you might notice an 8-10fps increase.

    As far as sli, I'm really not sure since I haven't messed with it personally. It does add some performance in terms of fps but I think it's generally around 20-30%. As far as I know, the vram doesn't double up (say both cards have 2gb vram, you're still only getting 2gb vram). Some people have had luck with sli (or crossfire with ati), many have fought headaches with it. Which is why unless you have a large resolution spanning multiple monitors and wish to play at high/ultra settings, it's better just to get a single better performing card than sli two smaller ones. Getting sli to work properly takes some fiddling and not every game handles it the same. Some games have no problem, others require all sorts of patches or software adjustments to get the kinks out and can cause stuttering and other issues.

    I don't think you'll have issues with games this year, if anything I would attribute it to the gtx 770 before I would the cpu.

    Here's a look at some game benchmarks. (Also keep in mind this is current hardware, by the end of next year new products will have hit the market so this could change things).

    gtx 770 vs gtx 970
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1037?vs=1355

    gtx 770 sli vs single gtx 970
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1064?vs=1355

    gtx 770 (what you have) vs 770 sli (what you'd get if you doubled it up - also may require a bigger psu depending what you're running)
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1064?vs=1037

    As you can see, crysis, bioshock and grid2 would benefit from sli. Company of heroes 2, total war: rome 2 not so much. Again these are just a handful of games but it shows how random games can perform quite differently.

    Going back to the ddr4 scenario on an x99 motherboard while it does have higher overall pcie x16 lanes for more bandwidth it really wouldn't be a bottleneck in your system until you sli'd say 3-4 gtx 970 or 980's. That's where the extended pcie lanes come into play.


    Thank you for all the input and information. I do see that most games that have been coming out have been able to "utilize" more cores then the old school 2 cores. So I would say a quad should be enough just as you stated. I don't do any rendering or video editing of any sort. All I literally do with my computer is games, surf the web, and watch youtube videos. In that case... I might as well just use my i5 lol. If what you're stating is true, no need to spend more money to get a new cpu, motherboard, and ram. If I am not mistaken by your information, I should upgrade my video card correct? I might of mis-read it lol. I will take a look at the links you provided, love research! Oh and by the way, I have a Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w.
  17. After going through the links, I see what you're talking about. Not ALL games utilize the SLI feature... I might as well upgrade to something better at the end of the year. Maybe not the BEST video card. But I normally get the 3rd to the highest end card. When I got the 770, I believe the highest was a 780 titan or whatever...
  18. So after BF4 for about 30 minutes to an hour, temps on cores are 53c, 52c, 54c, and 48c. Is that cool? Thanks!
  19. Those temps are pretty decent, a bit better than I get during fc3 or cod ghosts. I think a single strong video card would do well whenever you decide to upgrade and you'll avoid any hiccups/headaches that might come with sli.
  20. synphul said:
    Those temps are pretty decent, a bit better than I get during fc3 or cod ghosts. I think a single strong video card would do well whenever you decide to upgrade and you'll avoid any hiccups/headaches that might come with sli.


    Yeah that is what I mean when it comes to temps lol. When you say pretty decent, it could mean bad or good. Personally, I think they are high but that's because I'm a noob and I haven't really done much overclocking to know what temps are supposed to be. I thought since its underwater, it'd be really low like idling around low 20s and under gaming load at about 40c. But thats obviously not correct lol. So just to clarify, you mean pretty decent as in it should be lower? Or do you mean pretty decent as in thats some nice temps for that clock and voltage? lol... I read somewhere that yes as long as you are under 80c during normal usage that is fine. But I also read someone that for NORMAL usage, you don't want to be breaking 67c.

    As for the video card situation, I'm defintely going to take your advice and just buy a single gpu later on once my 770 stops handling the current/next-gen games.
  21. I think if you're in the 50's during gaming (even mid 60's during gaming) you're plenty safe. I think low 40's max during load (gaming etc) would be a real stretch and likely only with a custom cooling loop. There are a lot of variables in real world usage, if I tried to compare my own results with yours it would be near impossible. Our room temps might be different (ambient, which creates a baseline for everything), case design, airflow, case location etc. If one case is on a desk and one is under a desk, ventilation properties will be different. Temperature ranges are more accurate since it will help account for those variations as far as what's normal, what's not.

    Others will have different opinions and everyone's definition of what's 'safe' to run at sustained (think a few hours gaming steady) will vary. I tend to agree, I'd want to keep my sustained real usage somewhere around 65c, 70c max. That's just me personally. Staying in the low 50's during gaming is what I would consider a good cooler.

    You might find someone else running in the mid 40's, but then you have to consider what is their ambient room temp? My temps aren't really comparable, slightly different cpu (i5 vs i7, one generation difference), I'm running an air cooler not water. I usually hit low 60's while gaming, but my room temp is also close to 24c (around 75f) and my case is an old one with questionable airflow. Usually where liquid cooling pays off is under load. At idle or under stock load you might find that liquid cooling temps are similar to air at idle. Under stock load it may appear that a liquid cooler only does 5-7c better. Bump it up with an overclock and you'll see the difference is wider, liquid getting more of a 15-20c edge over air (depending on the cooler). So even if water appears to be getting into the 50's same as air cooling, the hotter things get liquid will tend to stay in the 50's while air may push into the upper 60's and low 70's. It's only then that you'll really see the benefit of more efficient heat dissipation.
  22. synphul said:
    I think if you're in the 50's during gaming (even mid 60's during gaming) you're plenty safe. I think low 40's max during load (gaming etc) would be a real stretch and likely only with a custom cooling loop. There are a lot of variables in real world usage, if I tried to compare my own results with yours it would be near impossible. Our room temps might be different (ambient, which creates a baseline for everything), case design, airflow, case location etc. If one case is on a desk and one is under a desk, ventilation properties will be different. Temperature ranges are more accurate since it will help account for those variations as far as what's normal, what's not.

    Others will have different opinions and everyone's definition of what's 'safe' to run at sustained (think a few hours gaming steady) will vary. I tend to agree, I'd want to keep my sustained real usage somewhere around 65c, 70c max. That's just me personally. Staying in the low 50's during gaming is what I would consider a good cooler.

    You might find someone else running in the mid 40's, but then you have to consider what is their ambient room temp? My temps aren't really comparable, slightly different cpu (i5 vs i7, one generation difference), I'm running an air cooler not water. I usually hit low 60's while gaming, but my room temp is also close to 24c (around 75f) and my case is an old one with questionable airflow. Usually where liquid cooling pays off is under load. At idle or under stock load you might find that liquid cooling temps are similar to air at idle. Under stock load it may appear that a liquid cooler only does 5-7c better. Bump it up with an overclock and you'll see the difference is wider, liquid getting more of a 15-20c edge over air (depending on the cooler). So even if water appears to be getting into the 50's same as air cooling, the hotter things get liquid will tend to stay in the 50's while air may push into the upper 60's and low 70's. It's only then that you'll really see the benefit of more efficient heat dissipation.


    You are most likely right. I believe my ambient temp are around the same as yours. Since its been cooler the past couple days here in California. My temps should be good as you stated. I'm just paranoid and anal so it worries me. Especially when things come down to my computer. I am not by any means rich so I need to make sure that if I am going to overclock things, I need to make sure things last. But I see what you mean. A lot of things come into play. Its just weird that seeing other forums and posts of people getting really good temps. I mean my temps are not by any means bad or terrible, its just not as low as what other people have. The case I have shouldn't be bad. Its a Thermaltake Core V71. I do see though that some or a lot of people that got the H100i changed the stock fans as well. They would get some Noctuas or something. I just received my arctic silver right now today. I was thinking about using that and see if that helps. Currently the thermal paste I am using is the one that came with my CoolerMaster 212 Evo. What are your thoughts on that? Changing thermal paste. Will that change anything at all? I appreciate all of your insight, experience, and knowledge. You have made a lot of things clear to me. I like my temps now to be honest. Especially hearing from something that is experienced, it makes me feel better that I am doing things correctly lol.
  23. The arctic silver may provide a little bit better temps. Typically thermal compounds only differ by a few degrees (3-4 at most) across the spectrum.

    Here's a fairly recent thermal compound review done by tom's for 39 different products. Also has some comparison between lower and higher pressure cooler mounts.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-performance-benchmark,3616.html

    This link is to the temps for high pressure air cooling chart, gives an idea - as you can see most are so close it almost doesn't make any difference. The two exceptions are extremely junk pastes (only a couple oddballs at the bottom) and coollab's liquid pro which isn't the same as regular paste - it gets brushed on and is pretty fiddly compared to the others.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-performance-benchmark,3616-18.html

    Here's a 26 product comparison from hwbot (overclocking community), so some of their charts do comparisons at the extreme with ln2 (liquid nitrogen cooling for extreme overclocks).
    http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=71658
  24. Thanks for all the information and help synphul! I decided to try the paste out just because I spent money on it. So far, temps seem the same. But I do understand that's there a break in period so I'm kinda waiting on that to see what happens in the next couple days. So far, I'm just going to take your advice and use my computer. Lowest idle temps after installing the paste about 2-3 hours later, 27c, 28c, 28c, and 18c. Not sure why Core #3 is always cooler. Always been that way it seems.
  25. Yea that sounds like mine as well, core #3 (4th core since the first is usually labeled core #0) is always the coolest.
  26. Thats so weird lol. I'm glad I was able to get some confirmation on that... So here's the thing synphul. You know how the situations come up when you say "F***", I should've listened to you. Well that situation came up. So after putting on some of that Arctic silver 5. My waterblock would not mount even. I tried at least 3 times and had to reapply thermal paste 3 times and ended up giving up. How I know it wasn't sitting even was because when I removed the waterblock after checking temps, about a quarter of the cpu's thermal paste was not settling. My temps on BF4 literally got up to 70s... I was pissed. Period. I got sick of the Corsair H100i and ended up going to return it lol. I did research all night yesterday and found that this cooler, Noctua NH-D14; performs almost the same as the H100i and is not under water. Do you think this cooler is sufficient? I ordered it on Amazon and currently am awaiting to receive it. I should be getting it tomorrow but if its not a good cooler, I'm going to cancel my order. Thanks again for all your help!
  27. The nh-d14 is a really good cooler. Doesn't win the award for looks by most people but they're easily identified by what I consider 'earth tones'. It's one of the better air coolers you can get and should handle your overclocks no problem.
  28. synphul said:
    The nh-d14 is a really good cooler. Doesn't win the award for looks by most people but they're easily identified by what I consider 'earth tones'. It's one of the better air coolers you can get and should handle your overclocks no problem.


    Awesome! I'm glad to hear that. I heard its massive but after doing the research, my case (Thermaltake Core V71) and my memory (Corsair Vengeance Pro); works and fits. I did see that theres a new updated model as well , the D15. But doing research, it doesn't seem THAT much better. It is also more expensive... So I decided to just go with the NH-D14. I can agree with you as well as what others state, the thing is not pretty; in any way possible lol. But for the price and reviews, why not? Everywhere so far that I've seen and read state this thing is bad a**. So I will receive it tomorrow and try that bad boy out! I will post temps tomorrow! Btw, do you think my temps will be better than what I had for the H100i or about the same? Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.
  29. The d14 will be plenty, the d15 might be newer but it's a different cooler. I believe it uses larger fans. Your temps should be about the same as the h100i in most cases.
  30. Yeah I did read that. I even seen on some forums/reviews that the D14 still does better than the D15. Awesome about the temps! I can't wait to get it lol... Computer is not operational at the moment...
  31. JUST INSTALLED!!! So how does it look?

  32. Looks good to me. Have you tried seeing how it does under stress yet? I saw the high values but wasn't sure if that was during a stress test or gaming or something else.
  33. synphul said:
    Looks good to me. Have you tried seeing how it does under stress yet? I saw the high values but wasn't sure if that was during a stress test or gaming or something else.


    Yeah the high values were definitely not during gaming or stress testing. After installing it and leaving it on for some time I ended up turning off my machine and going out. When I came home and started stress testing it with gaming, my temps got up to almost hitting 60c. But it seems like my temps are going lower and lower as the thermal paste is settling. I'm hitting about mid 50c when gaming now. I would say its on par with H100i if not better. One thing for sure is I do not have to worry about leakage and this beast is quiet. Best of all, the installation process was probably one of the most easiest ones I have ever done. My current idle temps are 25c, 28c, 28c, and 17c. After SC2 for a bit I was almost hitting 55c. I presume on BF4, I'll be hitting below 60C
  34. Those sound like good temps, a lot of it will depend on your ambient room temp and case airflow as well. Ambient temps will set a baseline (watercooling or air can't cool below ambient without additional help from something like a peltier or phase change cooler). Then your case airflow has the next impact since the cooler will only be as efficient as the case air temps blowing over the cooler. Some thermal pastes do have a burn in time that flow with heat and improve over the first several hours of running. Glad it's working well for you.
  35. Awesome! Thank you for all of your help and input. Yeah, my ambient temps are about 75F. Or at least from what my thermostat states. I have the Thermaltake Core V71 case. I have a 240mm on top pulling air out of my case and a 140mm in the back pulling air out. Front has 2 240mm fans for intake. I think I got the sizes right. But basically that's how my set up is. I would say pretty good airflow. Love my set up right now lol. I'm contemplating if I should get The Evil Within. It's on sale on steam.
  36. Okay it's 3 200mm fans. Not 240 lol. But it's 2 intake in the front. One on top for exhaust. And the 140mm is in the back of the noctua.
  37. markuskong said:
    SPECS:

    Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77V-PRO
    CPU: I5 3570K OVERCLOCKED TO 4.5GHZ (1.192v @ MAX)
    Cooler: Corsair H100i (Just got today and installed today)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1866MHz 9-10-9-27
    Video Card: PNY Nvidia GTX 770 2gb Factory OC
    Case: Thermaltake Core V71
    Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W
    Hard Drives: PNY 256 GB XLR8 PRO SSD
    Crucial MX100 512 GB SSD

    Below is the screen capture I took after running Prime95 for an hour


    I also had a question. Never overclocked an Intel CPU...(But I've done a bunch of video watching and web searching before I started) On windows it shows 3.40GHz
    In my bios, it doesn't show 4.5GHz, it shows 3.4GHz. It only shows 4.5GHz in the AI Tweaker in yellow that says synchronizing target CPU turbo mode speed. But on CPU-Z as you see in the screen capture, its at 4.5GHz. Why is that? I know on my AMD rig, when I overclock it; it shows in Windows as 4.0GHz @ 4.5GHz. Am I doing something wrong? Thank you!

    (
    uninstall ai tweaker, don't use those app's, if you want to overclock use bios, also windows is just stupid sometimes and shows wrong info on your cpu speed, but in your case the cpu seems to overclocked by something, easiest way to check is download cinebench run a test of it and compare scores to default clocked chips, everything else seems fine in your system just get rid of ai tweaker, set bios to defaults if you want to make sure its nothing bios related, but with your desacription i would think it's got nothing to do with bios rather the damn ai tweaker
  38. Whats AI Tweaker? I did everything through bios... But thank you for all of your information and input!
  39. I must say... This Noctua (NH-D14) cooler is AMAZING!!! I love it. Its quiet and it cools not only my CPU but it takes away heat from everything since the heatsink and fan range is so large. I love it!!!! I bought Dying Light and CPU temps don't even get above 60c. Its like mid 50s.
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking Water Cooling Temperature Intel i5 CPUs Corsair Asus