Any changes I could make to this rig?

Looking for advice from experienced PC gamers. I tested the CPU and GPU of this rig on game-debate for multiple games I plan on buying (Far Cry 4, Assassins Creed Unity, Call of Duty Advanced Warfare, etc.) I love the performance. For example, on Far Cry 4 the CPU gets 123% and the GPU gets 118%. These units would be future proof for at least the next 5-10 years of gaming.

Unfortunately the price is a little expensive at $825. I planned on buying a $700 rig but I couldn't sacrifice with the CPUs and GPUs. Since this rig will also be an alternative to a console, it's important that it will have no problem running these games on Ultra Graphics.

Are there any changes I could make to this rig to lower the price while still mostly maintaining the same performance. I'd like to try and keep the same CPU and GPU but will sacrifice anything else. Here are the parts of the rig below:

UPDATE: Lowered the price from $825 to $775 with changes to the CPU, and Motherboard.

CPU - AMD FX-8370 $189

Motherboard - Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 $42

Memory - Mushkin Silverline 8GB DDR3 240-Pin Desktop Memory $69.99

Storage - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $44.99

GPU - GeForce GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 Gaming 4GB Edition $370

Case - Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $29.99

Power Supply EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $29.99

Total: About $775.96
15 answers Last reply
More about make rig
  1. That is an FM2 motherboard. Not even compatible with that CPU. I'll rework this for you. Be back shortly.
  2. @darkbreeze thank you so much. I actually changed some of these parts but I'm still not sure if they will work well together. I'll update the OP.
  3. Are you just looking to get the best bang for your 800 bucks basically or is your heart set on any particular components, not counting of course that you want to be able to use the GTX 970?
  4. Are you planning to overclock?
  5. @darkbreeze if I could lower the price any further from $775 without losing performance then I'd be game. I'm set on the GTX 970, I completely changed from the Intel i5 cpu to AMD FX-8370 as the performance is about the same for about $50 cheaper. If it will improve the performance/fps of games then I would probably overclock.

Do you think this rig would work in it's current state?
  6. Performance is nowhere near the same, at all, between the i5-4690k and the FX-8370, or any of the FX-8xxx CPUs, unless they have big overclocks on them and the i5 is at it's stock clock. Especially in single threaded applications or games. Overclocking will significantly increase your FPS in most cases when using the FX lineup.

I would never go with the 8370 though. An 8320 overclocked gives you the same performance as an 8350 or 8370 at the same clock speed, and it's generally cheaper. I think the 8350 just dropped way down in price though. I'll check, but I don't think realistically we can get you where you want to be using the GTX 970 at that price. I'll see what I can do though.

Are you in the US?
  7. Yeah I live in the US. I found the FX 8350 for $150, and 8320 for $120. The 8320 can get 110% performance on Far Cry 4 without overclocking which is impressive, but I may decide to go with the 8350 as a compromise between the 8320 and 8370.

Though I want this machine to be future proof so even the 8370 might be worth the investment. So you do think all of these parts will work well together?
  8. 8370 is NEVER worth the investment. It offers NO benefit over the 8320, in fact, it's the exact same chip with a factory overclock. Why pay them to do what you can do yourself, for 30 dollar CPU cooler, ten minutes of your time, and actually end up with a faster CPU because you should have no problem taking it to 4.3-4.5Ghz.

Is your heart set on the G1 Gigabyte. If you go with the EVGA ACX 2.0 we can make this work, otherwise, you'll be over budget. The EVGA card is faster out of the box and has no bad reviews that I'm aware of. Plus it's considerably cheaper.
  9. This, meets or exceeds your expectations, and is under budget. You can get to the moon, but not for the price of a flight around the world.:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($74.98 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($77.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.99 @ Directron)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card ($329.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Rosewill Galaxy-02 ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $781.90
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-21 03:13 EST-0500
  10. Plus, that case comes with your case fans. Not the best or the quietest, but for the price, they'll do the job until you can upgrade to better performing, quieter ones. No cheap case will have good fans, so we can't expect too much there.
  11. Your advice has been helpful. I think I'll definitely go with the 8320 + cooler over the 8370 as I'll save 20 bucks and the numbers are basically the same. Is overclocking easy to do? I don't have much experience with this kind of stuff. Also on game debate it said the max the 8320 could get would be 4.0 ghz but this can't be true so I'm sure it can reach 4.3 ghz. Not that any of that is that significant.
  12. Also I'd like to select your answer as best answer but not sure how
  13. Not asking for no noise, but are there any cases you recommend that are on the quieter side for under say $60? I wasn't aware of the noise problem.
  14. I sent you a pm.
  15. Nah, the noise level won't be considerable except maybe at max load, and anything you buy at that price level is going to be similar. To get quieter you just need to install a few PWM fans in the top of the case. You might consider doing that and going with the Corsair 200R which should offset the cost of the PWM fans. There are Cougar PWM fans (Four pin) for around ten to fifteen bucks each. You'll need to get a three or four dollar 4 pin splitter to use on the two top fans though as there is only one four pin fan header on the motherboard. There are two three pin fan headers to use for the front and rear fans though, just not enough PWM fan headers for two fans.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Intel Homebuilt CPUs AMD Nvidia GPUs Graphics Cards