Motherboard tier list: B85 chipset

B85 chipset:

The B85 chipset is the "budget" business option and limited compared to the other business chipsets. As such, it does not support iSIPP or vPro. It natively has four SATA 6Gb/s ports compared to the six found on Q87. The B85 chipset is a good option for systems that need only basic functionality without the various features found in the other business chipsets. Multi GPU (Crossfire, not SLI) config is supported.

USB 3.0 and SATA3 are present in most boards. The quality is decent and no profound issues exist. B85 chipset doesn’t support any RAID configuration and Smart Response Technology but can benefit from using AHCI mode.

The chipset does support OCing on Pentium in some boards as they have unlocked multiplier, so it is a viable option for gamers as well.

Helpful links:

Overclocking a Pentium G3258 on H81, B85, H87 & H97 Chipsets

ASUS Enables Overclocking on H97, H87, B85 and H81 Series Motherboards

Key:

Red: MSI
Blue: ASROCK
Green: GIGABYTE
Gold: ASUS
Black: EVGA

Tier One: High quality. SATA3 and USB3 are present, in addition to CFX ability. Good quality and have all other standard features. Separated by Form Factor. Good for gaming rigs, media/ file servers, basic servers and multi-purpose builds.

ATX Form Factor

B85-G41 PC Mate
B85 Pro4
GA-B85-HD3
G1.Sniper B5
B85 Killer
B85-PLUS
B-85 PRO GAMER

mATX Form Factor

ASRock B85M
B85M Pro4 (ASM version as well)
B85M-G43
GA-B85M-D3H
B85M GAMING
B85M-E/CSM
VANGUARD B85

Mini-ITX Form Factor

GA-B85N PHOENIX-WIFI (Has mSATA and WiFi, no CFX ability)

Tier Two: Good quality. Fine boards with standard features, no CFX support but do have USB3 and SATA3. Fine quality and good for everyday use, media centers, entry level gaming rigs and basic servers. Separated by form factor.

ATX Form Factor

B85 Anniversary

mATX Form Factor

GA-B85M-DS3H
B85M-HDS
GA-B85M-D2V
B85M-P33 (v2 as well)
B85M-DGS
B85M-GL
GA-B85M-HD3
CSM-B85M-E45
B85M Eco
B85M-D PLUS
CSM-B85M-P32
B85M-E33
Asus B85M-G (R2.0 as well)

Mini-ITX Form Factor

B85M-ITX
MSI B85I

NOTE: This thread is a part of the article series 'Motherboard tier list'.
6 answers Last reply
More about motherboard tier list b85 chipset
  1. Hi, I came across your insightful motherboard tier list and I realised something a little strange. Your list states that the MSI B85-G41 PC Mate is of high quality, however from my local stores, it's one of the cheapest ATX sized motherboards. So what makes this motherboard cheap and of good quality at the same time ? It's even cheaper than the Asrock B85M Pro 4.
  2. Hello,

The prices usually don't affect the list much, if you look around you'll see some $350 boards with $200 boards due to the latter's exceptional features for the price or great quality or both. In regards to your question, since the chipset doesn't have much features to plus or minus, general quality and availability of the features will make a good board good quality.

The board in focus has all the top level features (one part of the analysis), like dual x16 slots capable of CrossfireX,not ideal, but the availability of lanes after putting GPU is quite beneficial in case of expansion cards. It also has 2 x1 slots and overall good quality chokes and caps. Moreover, no persistent issues have been found with this board, so there was no reason I wouldn't put it in Tier 1.

Also, 'what makes it cheap and good quality at the same time?'. I have no definative answer to that, but the simplicity of the board should play part, there are no fancy features. I'm unable to list anything much more, since it is a well rounded board, for a great price in most areas. And besides, who doesn't like quality boards cheap!
  3. Thanks !
  4. No worries.
  5. akki5230 said:
    Why the ASUS B85M-G comes in tier 2 and ASrock B85M Pro4 in tier one even the Asus is $16 costlier that Asrock

B85M Pro4 has more features than B85M-G, most notably 2 full length x16 slots, operating at x16 and x4, vs B85M-G's one x16 and x1 slot each. Price is dynamic and is not a factor in determining the Motherboard tier.
  6. i believe the Asus B85M-Gamer would be tier 1?
Ask a new question

Read More

Chipsets Business Computing